Hacking Long distance Wii problem

RyanSnowdon

OP
Trophies
XP
Hi guys

My first post and first I would like to say thanks for this great website,I have learned much from it and your valuable information is really appreciated.I have a little problem though just now with my nephews PAL Wii,I live in Thailand and him in Scotland so its a little difficult for me to try and fix it over the phone with my Sister without seeing it for myself.Please bear with me here as I try to explain it right.When I was back home for Xmas and after some thorough researching on here and elsewhere I successfully modded both of our Wii's with no problems,both were updated to 4.3E first and HBC was installed with the latest hackmii installer.All the IOS etc were installed and they were both working grand.I never installed bootmii into my nephews though as he's only young and didn't want him going into any of the other settings after turning it on.I turned off Wiiconnect 24 so he wouldn't be asked for any updates and accidentally choose Yes.So I headed back for Thailand feeling confident there would be no problems.He got 2 disc games for his Xmas,Transformers (3 I think) and Hot Wheels,garbage I know but when he tried to play them it said it would need to update the system,can't understand why for those 2 games?Anyway like a good little boy he remembered my warning not to do any updates and didn't choose Yes,so the games were put away but 2 months later he has gone looking for the games and put them in the Wii and updated the system.Now the 2 disc games are playing fine but his other games are now not booting up through USB loader GX.I got my sis to check and it is still 4.3E so don't really know whats going on.Now I know the answer will be on here somewhere and I think the answer is probably something simple like a IOS has been changed or something.My problem is being on the other side of the world and having to talk my sis through doing it without seeing it for myself.and working too many hours away from laptop to get a chance to figure it out.I'm sure the answers probably simple and I hope you can tell me in a way that will be easy to explain to my sister lol?

Thanks in advance and sorry if I missed any vital information out?If so let me know and I'll get back to on it.Whoever gets the right answer gets an imaginary drink from me as it gets my Mum and Sis off my case and also makes a 6 year old boy very happy :-)

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is likely that the disc updates stubbed the cIOS files you installed. It does not matter if the Wii is on 4.3. If the disc update notices that the version number of an IOS file does not correspond with the one installed (e.g. a cIOS vs. the stub included with the disc update), then the disc update will replace your cIOS you use to load USB backups. You will want to use ModMii to re-install the recommended cIOS files, install Priiloader, and install the hacks that block disc and online updates. ModMii will generate easy-to-follow instructions.

Reactions: 1 person

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi there,

By the sounds of it, it seems simple enough. there are roughly 2 ways in which a wii can update:
1. over the internet (when you connect your wii to the internet, it'll ask you)
2. games tend to carry a firmware on it.

It's that 2. that is the issue. You see, what nintendo calls a "firmware" is really more a package of IOS'es and channels, each with a certain version number. So your wii may have been on 4.3 already, but that number in the system settings doesn't matter all that much. What really matters is the version number of all your IOS'es and channels: 1. and 2. check for those numbers.

That was also what caused your problem: "firmware 4.3" comes with an official IOS249 (v65280). This IOS isn't used for any games. In fact, it doesn't contain any code at all. It's sole purpose is to have a higher number than whatever was currently installed in that slot...in other words: to overwrite your cIOS (which is used for, among others, USB loading).

That's not all, though. The update in itself not only overwrites cIOS 249 but does some other things as well: check this linky.

The good news is: the thing can be rehacked in pretty much the same way. However, you really want to add another security measure: install priiloader and tell it to block both online updates and disc updates. If not, you won't be able to play disc games like that transformers game, because it'll always tell you it needs to update (reason: v65280 is "newer" than most...whatever cIOS you want to install in 249*).

For the details...sorry, man...but it's just better if you do it in person. Modmii is a very simple tutorial, but either your sister leanrs what it's all about or you do it when you get back. You guiding her (over the phone or something?) is just making things overly complex very fast.

*note: while it IS possible to change the version number of a cIOS, priiloader is still very recommended.

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well that's kinda messed up, but i know were your coming from. did you by chance install priiloader? it's a hack that goes on the wii, more like an app that has hacks really.
it boots before system menu, an has a hack to block all updates from disk/online. an that way he will not see the update prompt, an be tempted to do it.
the best thing i can say, is download mod mii, run that great program, an get all the files you think they(family needs). an upload them so they can add the files to their sd card. they will have to use letter bomb/mail bomb..so you will need the mac address from that wii. to pre load the file.. in the simple terms you need to rehack his wii.
just remeber to let mod mii know this is a "virgin" wii.. that way you'll get all the files needed. i've been here before were your at. an this is how i fixed it.my wife has a brother stationed in europe an i had to do every thing over phone/computer. i just hope sis, or some one can follow along with what they need to do.
if you need more help just ask. hopefully if this does exsplain it easy enough for you, one of the more advance.(xflax/deadlyfoez..). good luck.
edit. damn it wever beat me: ;)

RyanSnowdon

OP
Trophies
XP
Thanks a lot guys,very polite and helpful,its appreciated.As I am not intending to go back to Scotland for at least another 18 months then I think my nephew will have moved on by then lol.He will likely have a WiiU by then anyway which will then likely be getting modded by me too haha.I will let you all know how I get on in the next couple of days and get back to you.Thanks again,you's have been great

RyanSnowdon

OP
Trophies
XP
Oh forgot to add I didn't install Priiloader.Can I just format the SD card again then and start from scratch?Does Priiloader have a start menu like Boot2 or does it just got staright to the Wii menu,I know they work different?I didn't install that in his 1 as I didn't want to over complicate it for him and especially didn't want him going into the other options.I even hid HBC from him on the 4th menu page haha.Its really frustrating not being able to look at it do it myself but my choices are my sis or my parents.1 of my mates has his Wii modded but the old way and being over confident it was "a piece of piss" bricked my other mates Wii,so he's not going anywhere near it lol.Thanks again,I'll let you know how I get on.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Honestly, I don't see why you should format the SD card. It hasn't been changed by the update one bit. Lucius already nicely summarized what you should do:

"You will want to use ModMii to re-install the recommended cIOS files, install Priiloader, and install the hacks that block disc and online updates. ModMii will generate easy-to-follow instructions."

That's it. Since you have the latest HBC, it can still run it. Get yourself a mod manager where you can choose the cIOS to install other cIOS'es with (MMM or dop-mii come to mind). Then check which cIOS'es aren't stubbed...if you had installed 224 or 236, then those'll be fine*. Use these to install the wads you downloaded through modmii.

Does Priiloader have a start menu like Boot2 or does it just got staright to the Wii menu,I know they work different?
Neither. Priiloader actually overwrites the start menu. That may sound drastic, but it's not that bad, since it moves the start menu to a different location in the memory. And the default setting is that it immediately starts (and returns to) that real start menu. With the hacks you selected for it, that is (the block updates hacks). In normal cases, the only time you see priiloader is when you hold down the reset button while powering on the wii. And even then, priiloader has a way of setting a password so you can't just tinker with things.

Finally...I want to mention that while hacking a wii really IS a piece of piss, it's not something to be overconfident about. There are two main problems:
1. people assuming things that sound logical but simply aren't true (I see it in your posts as well: installing bootmii or priiloader isn't settings things up, because they can be hidden from view quite easily).
2. following one of the many outdated or incomplete guides that can be found on the internet.

Of course, that's all hindsight. But it's also why I absolutely don't recommend doing it via proxy. I'm a helpdesk agent, and my toughest calls are without a doubt the ones where some person doesn't call for himself/herself but for a colleague. That way, even the simplest problems (like refilling the printer with paper) can take up to half an hour, as all the technical details that are needed for proper troubleshooting get lost in the extra communication that has to take place.

*I'm not sure, but since the latest firmware update - over a year ago - it somewhat became possible to use retail IOS'es for certain applications. As such, it may be possible to use IOS56 or 58 as well.
(someone please correct me if this is wrong)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking +1