LoneWolfDS - The Chasm Of Doom RC

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Michoko, Jul 29, 2010.

Jul 29, 2010
  1. Michoko
    OP

Newcomer Michoko Advanced Member

France
    Hi!

The LoneWolfDS project is going on, this time with the 4th book of the Lone Wolf series: The Chasm Of Doom. For those who had missed the first three volumes, "Flight From The Dark", "Fire On The Water" and "The Caverns Of Kalte", this is an attempt at porting good old paper gamebooks to the DS console.

A nice review of the book can be read here: http://web.ncf.ca/as300/b4.html

So what's new in this fourth book?
    - A new and exciting adventure in Sommerlund!
    - Now you can't equip two similar items so their bonuses don't stack (it was silly to have two shields, wasn't it? [​IMG])

As with all other versions, you can continue your game from the last book. For this, you need to have the "Caverns Of Kalte.xml" file at the root of your linker, and this saved game must contain at least one slot saved at the end of book 3.

You can get the game here : http://www.projectaon.org/staff/frederic/index.php

(please don't host the ROM on your site but use this link instead, as required by the Project Aon licensed! Thanks!)

This is a Release Candidate. If you encounter a problem or a bug, please tell me your DS and linker model and I'll try to investigate. Thank you for your feedback!

Spread the word and have fun! [​IMG]

Frédéric Calendini

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    You seem to be on a quest to remove all of my free time Michoko. Keep it up.

3. c_house

Member c_house GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Nice... Still haven't got through the first book though. Keep up the good work!

4. Overman1977

Member Overman1977 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    More, more, more.....can't get enough!!!

5. celeron53

Member celeron53 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    YES!! A new book! I loved the past three books! Hope this one is fun too! Keep up the good work! [​IMG]

6. Crossborder

Newcomer Crossborder Newbie

Netherlands
    Wow. That's fast! I'm going to play the shit out of this! Thanks for your awesome work.

7. Freudian Lemur

Member Freudian Lemur GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Damn, that was fast! Thank you so much for this project, it's amazing!

8. Centrix

Member Centrix Stop Poking the Moogle!

United States
    Book 4 sick, I've been trying to find all of these books for a while but to be able to fully play them on my dsi is just sick, thanks!

9. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    Frédéric: you said the mechanics change in the 5th book and it would require a new gaming engine? are you going to continue on with this project? i hope you do! =)

-another world

10. CrimzonEyed

Member CrimzonEyed GBAtemp's Assassin

Japan
    what is this anyway? :/
    book reading with gameplay?

11. phoenixclaws

Member phoenixclaws GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well, that was fun and a bit too easy. [​IMG].

I played all 4 books in one sitting. I was lucky? enough to get a +9 for combat skill and a +9 for endurance when I started the game and I was able to get the Weaponskill of Sword then I acquire the Sommerswerd in Book 2. So I'm virtually impervious now to anybody's combat skill except for those that have a combat skill within 8(?) points of mine. I also like how the Sixth Sense skill has been enhanced for some interesting deep dialogue with the leading character.

I read that the Sommerswerd becomes a liability much later in the series but it has been a very interesting item to hold in this game.

I like how some items become more useful at various points and how there are many other possible items to acquire when you read about them and realize that you don't have them.

I nearly died at the end of book 1 or 2 (the books kind of run together when you play through 4 in one sitting). I had only 1 endurance left and no healing skill. It was a very interesting set of battles though.

12. Michoko
    OP

France
    Thanks for the kind words and positive feedback! [​IMG]

@Another world: Well, book 5 is still part of the first cycle, so I'm currently studying it. I already spotted one challenging twist in the plot that will force me to do some enhancements to the engine (Joe Dever had talent to introduce specific cases everywhere. That made the books much more interesting, but force me to modify the way the engine behaves all the time [​IMG])
    All in all, I suppose book 5 will be done. The Magnakai cycle begins from book 6, and indeed, it will require some non-trivial modifications. I didn't discard the idea of continuing the series though. I'll see when book 5 is done.

Have fun!
    Frédéric

13. link491

Member link491 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    ok i played through the first 3 in about 3 hours (one hour per book unless i died and one book a day) and i really enjoyed them! i am playing 4 now but i fund them very easy due to the fact that i collect fighting fantasy books (gamebooks similar to this with longer game time and thay are MUCH HARDER) i havent read alot of them (maby 20 out of 55) so im wondering, if when your done with this series, igf you'd be willing to port these books?

any way, this series is great and i hope you finish it!

14. Michoko
    OP

France
    Well,unfortunately there is little chance I port the Fighting Fantasy series one day, since they are still copyrighted and I don't have the authorization to use them from their original authors. Lone Wolf is a special case, since Joe Dever allowed their digital reproduction under specific conditions (hence the Project Aon license).

15. link491

Member link491 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    oh well... i caan hope...

16. phoenixclaws

Member phoenixclaws GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Maybe some day but this is definitely an enjoyable series of books to mess with on boring days. Especially to see other alternate scenarios that could play out.

17. Keshire

Member Keshire GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I for one am utterly amazed that there aren't any commercial 'choose your own adventure' books like these for the DS. You've shown that they work amazingly well.

You should license the engine. [​IMG]
    I would love to see this setup used for other settings. Like some Fallout/Wasteland fiction using the SPECIAL system.

18. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    Great stuff, thanks for the hard work!

19. Crossborder

Newcomer Crossborder Newbie

Netherlands
    Well, for some reason Chasm Of Doom won't grab my Saved Games form Caverns of Kalte. I'll fiddle around with it until it works, i just thought you'd want to know.
    Again, thanks for this great piece of homebrew that just keeps me occupied, even when i'm not playing it! [​IMG]

20. Michoko
    OP

France
    Hi,

A quick update to tell you that v1.0 of The Chasm Of Doom has been released. A few bug fixes are included. You can get it at the usual download page.

Have fun!
    Frédéric