Homebrew lolSnes -- SNES emulator for DS

zero2exe

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I just tried Mario World and it works nicely. I also tried playing A link to the Past but after creating my file (which was a bit though due to graphic issues) I just couldn't get into the game. Also tried DKC1 and 2 but both gave me an error.
Overall I think this emu is very promising and I'm eager to see how it develops, good job so far :D

user64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can confirm that Kaizo Mario World is working!

(good luck with no save states)

In all seriousness, here's some real testing. I tested the ones that used to give guru on loading, as you said that may have been fixed.
Kaizo Mario World 2 (SMW rom hack) - Works.
Super Mario Infinity (SMW rom hack) - Does the ding thing with the name, then guru.
Every Level Iggy (SMW rom hack) - Works. (Except for Iggy, duh)
Goombario's World (SMW rom hack) - Works.
Super Bomberman 1 and 2 - Used to be guru, now 16X16 tiles not supported.
Super Metroid - Loads intro, menu's kinda loadedish, gets to the part with the command prompt style screen, then guru when a is pressed to continue.
Eye of the Beholder - Used to be guru, still guru.
Harvest Moon - Nothing past vram printing on bottom screen.
TLoZ:aLttP - Same as before, nothing past menu.
Earthbound - Used to be guru... now it's... something... uh... yeah. Oddball bug is a good way to put it.
Chrono Trigger - Same as before, nothing past vram.
Final Fantasy II and III - Nothing past vram printing on bottom screen.
Illusion of Gaia - Loads and plays, except for the background... so you can't see where your going at all.

Through the power of rom hacks, that's 5 working games! :D

Reactions: zero2exe

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
Sounds good!

I should get around making that compatibility list thing soon.

Oh by the way, the server issues have been fixed, and the autobuilder now works fine. I just have to code the web interface and it'll be good to go. I'm also thinking about a RSS feed for Git build updates, so you'd know when there are new builds without checking the site.

Edit- there, the autobuild system is up! Have fun! :)

user64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sounds good!

I should get around making that compatibility list thing soon. :)
That'd be great! Oh and nice autobuild system. :D

More Testing:
Kaizo Mario World 3 (SMW rom hack) - Works
Final Fantasy Super Moogle World (SMW rom hack) - Works
Mario's Treasure Hunt (SMW rom hack) - Screen still full of garbage.
Super Bomberman 3 - Same, prints vram then nothing.
Super Bomberman 5 - Sram saves twice then crash.
Super Mario All Stars - Well... you know... yeah.
Shin Megami Tensei - Still dies after atlus logo.
Secret of Mana - Unsupported color depth 256 for BG0.
Kirby Super Star - Unsupported PPU mode 4.
Kirby's Dream Course - In game error screen of "This game pack is not designed for your Super Famicom or Super NES.
Kirby's Dream Land 3 - Nothing past vram printing on bottom screen.
Donkey Kong Country - !! Write $2141 00FF
Soul Blazer - Enix logo and sound load, no video for intro (PPU mode 7), backgrounds don't load, so can't see where I'm going.
Super Mario Kart - Plays ding sound, then nothing. HCOUNT IRQ ENABLE: B1
Wizardry 5 - Just copyright screen freeze.
Super Castlevania IV - Letters don't render for choosing name. Drawbridge no render good. Second room has garbage all over the game. 16X16 tile error.
Mega Man 7 - Logo at beginning doesn't render, as well as parts of the intro. Title screen is a dot. Stuck right after Mega Man transforms.
Mega Man X-2 - HCOUNT IRQ ENABLE: B1 spammed.

Super Castlevaina and the Soul Blazer series look rather promising.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, testing recent build :P

Edit: Okay! Results from the latest build

Super Mario World - Near-perfect, hammers in Iggy's Fortress are invisible
Animaniacs - Backgrounds are almost normal, sound lag
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers - HCOUNT IRQ ENABLE: B1
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters - Boots, 16 x 16 TILES NOT SUPPORTED
Mega Man X - Capcom sound, HCOUNT IRQ ENABLE: B1
Mega Man 7 - Boots, missing backgrounds, HCOUNT IRQ ENABLE: B1
Secret of Mana - Unsupported color depth 256 for BG0
The Simpsons Bart's Nightmare - Boots, unsupported PPU mode 2
Super Adventure Island 2 - boots, 16 x 16 , grabled BG
Super Castlevania 4 - 16 x 16 TILES NOT SUPPORTED, unsupported PPU mode 7
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV - Boots, 16 x 16 TILES NOT SUPPORTED

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just tried Super Mario World with the latest build.
This is just a detailed report:
There were some slowdowns, also there was a time sound have gone beserk(not only crazy, but making an irritating sound), with time it came back to what should have been, I also experienced times that the game was running faster than it should(an fps limiter should resolve it).
Sound quality was bad this seems to be a price worth paying for having the game at a reasonable speed.
When playing Yoshi's Island 4 level, water simply didn't show(it's weird to see these fish jumping out of nothing, even more weird is to see those
spiky balls floating on air :D ).
When you beat a level, the game makes a path for the new one, this path construction is buggy, it show some black rectangles while creating the route(exactly the same as what happened to snesmulds)
Iggy's Castle second part was problematic, the hammer's image was always there scrolling with you, while it should have be going up and down.
While fighting Iggy background was complete red(if I remember correctly it should be black), the platform image didn't appear.

I'll try the second world, later I'll give a report for what's still buggy ;)

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
For Kirby's Dream Course, you got a PAL version. lolSnes emulates a NTSC console so for now get a NTSC version. I could probably detect PAL ROMs so they could boot. They'd probably run too fast though.

Oh and regarding SMW: the sound 'bugs' are because the ARM7 lags. I still gotta find ways to speed it up. Oh and it doesn't support volume control or interpolation.

The game running faster than it should? Madness! Probably a timing issue. Framerate is already limited since lolSnes synchronizes itself to the DS display.

The water bug is because the game is changing BG3's scroll offsets midframe, that isn't supported yet. The hammer bug in Iggy's castle is the same bug.

Path construction bug is a minor glitch. Alphablending isn't supported, that's all.

Boss fights all render improperly. I don't emulate mode 7 yet, and SMW uses a mixture of modes 1 and 7 for boss fights.

user64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For Kirby's Dream Course, you got a PAL version. lolSnes emulates a NTSC console so for now get a NTSC version. I could probably detect PAL ROMs so they could boot. They'd probably run too fast though.
Oh... oops. :D I'll try it out with an NTSC U verision.

EDIT: Just tried to stick my DSTWO into my computer's SD card slot...

EDIT2: Double SRAM Save then crash. The hal and the Nintendo logo freeze overlaid upon eachother.

EDIT3: Saw that you just added pal support... *facepalm

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's to hoping some form of audio interpolation is implemented; there has yet to be any Snes emulator for the DS to emulate that feature. Whether it be linear, Gaussian, Hermite, etc. The question remains on how it can be implemented given the DS' CPU power.... But again, this emulator has a lot of potential :P

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
Well let's just think that the SMW boss battles are in super hard mode for the moment :P
You can see things this way :P

I'm aiming at properly emulating them though, what would be the point of making an emu otherwise? :P

Oh by the way, the bug that broke Kirby's Dream Course and Earthbound is fixed. Not that they're quite playable, though. They go further ingame, but graphics issues makes them kinda hard to play.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can see things this way :P

I'm aiming at properly emulating them though, what would be the point of making an emu otherwise? :P

Oh by the way, the bug that broke Kirby's Dream Course and Earthbound is fixed. Not that they're quite playable, though. They go further ingame, but graphics issues makes them kinda hard to play.

Either way, that's a huge step. Keep it up! :P

user64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Oh nice! I'll have to try out your new build.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte