'Lollipop Chainsaw' full remake in the works; launches next year

lollipop chainsaw.JPG

Lollipop Chainsaw, the 2012 action game made in collaboration with game director Suda51, movie director James Gunn and producer Yoshimi Yasuda, is getting a full remake, IGN has confirmed and later confirmed by the producer. This remake will involve, Yasuda says, "a more realistic approach to graphics" and new audio due to licensing issues.

"Unfortunately, various factors resulted in things making it so that fans can no longer easily play Lollipop Chainsaw, and it has been some time since players have not been able to access the game on current consoles," Yasuda said. "We, the original development staff on Lollipop Chainsaw, think of the game as very precious to us, and did not want to leave it in limbo, where players who want to play it cannot. As such, we purchased the Lollipop Chainsaw intellectual property from Kadokawa Games, and decided to develop a remake. We have already contacted Warner Bros. about development, and are being supported by them in this endeavor."

The Lollipop Chainsaw remake has a 2023 launch window but the platforms on which it will launch have yet to be announced.

:arrow:SOURCE

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Awesome. I'll probably replay the original, because as far as I remember, I haven't actually finished it.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having never played the game myself, after watching some gameplay footage it certainly seems...unique

1657034148651.png

Cutesy zombie killing waifu with a decapitated head for a boyfriend

qqq1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice! This is one of the couple reasons I still have my 360 out. Not that I've touched it in a long time but it's there for this game.

Attila13

Praise the Creep!
Trophies
Website
gamesystemrequirements.com
XP
Country
Romania
OMG! OMG! OMG! YES!
Finally some great news! :)
I never had the opportunity to get the original one, because at the time I didn't have any consoles and now that I have them, I can't get them nowhere, because they aren't on the PS Store and importing a physical copy costs an arm and a leg....so yeah.
Can't wait for it! :)

Reactions: DaFixer
D

Deleted member 575334

Its a Suda51 game, is that not enough to get the idea?

No? Okay, Its like Army of Darkness but instead of Ash you get a cheerleader as your protagonist. Its pretty goddamn fun.
Still. What the fuck is it. I've never heard about Suda51. Also Army of Darkness doesn't ring any bells. So thanks for your explaination but i don't think i got 1% further then before i asked what it was

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal

Volttekka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still. What the fuck is it. I've never heard about Suda51. Also Army of Darkness doesn't ring any bells. So thanks for your explaination but i don't think i got 1% further then before i asked what it was
Suda51, real name Goichi Suda, is the CEO of Grasshopper Studios, is best known for their cult classic games like killer7, No More Heroes, Shadows of the Damned, and Killer is Dead, among other titles. The main hallmarks tend to be highly violent action, juxtaposition of said violence with comedic elements, and pseudo-philosophical themes that seem to exist just to be confusing (I might be wrong about this part, haven't played in a while).
Army of Darkness refers to the Evil Dead franchise (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_Dead), specifically the third film, which leaned a bit more heavily into its comedic elements whereas the previous two films were primarily horror with a smattering of comedy.
(Apologies if anything I wrote is wrong, most of my information is secondhand)

D

Deleted member 575334

Suda51, real name Goichi Suda, is the CEO of Grasshopper Studios, is best known for their cult classic games like killer7, No More Heroes, Shadows of the Damned, and Killer is Dead, among other titles. The main hallmarks tend to be highly violent action, juxtaposition of said violence with comedic elements, and pseudo-philosophical themes that seem to exist just to be confusing (I might be wrong about this part, haven't played in a while).
Army of Darkness refers to the Evil Dead franchise (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_Dead), specifically the third film, which leaned a bit more heavily into its comedic elements whereas the previous two films were primarily horror with a smattering of comedy.
(Apologies if anything I wrote is wrong, most of my information is secondhand)
If the dude said No More Heroes, Then i said YES, I know that one. I played it on Wii. Awesome game. But instead he daid Army of Darkness and i was like what the fuck are you talking about. But thanks for clarifying. You deserve a Like. :)

Reactions: MyJoyConRunsHot

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The devs seems to have good intentions... But warner? I wonder how many "nowadays" quotas they'll have to meet. Also expect the game having like 3 versions with 2 costing a premium. Keep it on Japan man, well too late for that.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nice! After completing the No More Horeos trifecta (and the shameful TSA) I’ve been meaning to pick this up. Hopefully it’s better than it was on-release - it seemed a little plastic-y at the time.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The original never really appealed to me (most of his games have not but I certainly respect them anyway) so doubt I would be getting this unless it is some kind of tour de force of gameplay (more than one silly action game has made my list by virtue of its gameplay being tight).

Happy to see it getting another kick at the cat though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    the vram is one advantage when it comes to AI but ends up being slower even with that and really AI is the only use case that needs more than 12gb vram right now
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to...