Gaming LOL Somehow MarioKart8 DX outsold Horizon Zero Dawn

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sorta remember when Zelda botw sold 1mil units week one and hzd was close to 3mil and the fanboy stuff was over the top. HZD went on sale for $25 very shortly after release too(easter i think?). Turns out it couldnt physically outsell a remaster of MarioKart8 LOL. the crazy thing is mk8dx has never been on sale and is still a $60 game. i saw the massive stock of HZD for $15 on black friday and it looked like no one touched it either. HZD sold REALLY well but dropped off badly, its no wonder it was always on sale.

hzd.JPG

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's no wonder this happened. Horizon Zero Dawn was yet another overhyped game. Is that to say it's bad? No. Just not as good of a game as advertised.

im kinda shocked hzd dropped off that bad, i woulda estimated 8mil physical copies sold seeing it was one of very few AAA games to come out for ps4 in awhle. But a $60 mariokart8 remaster? its just nuts

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything after MK64 is just sugar, IMHO. Not bad, but you're just getting incremental increases in quality. So, yea, MK8 remaster isn't that different from MK8, MK7, etc. As for HZD? Never heard of it until now. No idea if it's good/bad. Not worth the effort to buy a PS4 for it. Then again, I'm more into Metroidvanias first, ARPG second. Most ARPGs tend to be boring, though. :/ Especially western designed ones.

Reactions: orangy57

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything after MK64 is just sugar, IMHO. Not bad, but you're just getting incremental increases in quality. So, yea, MK8 remaster isn't that different from MK8, MK7, etc. As for HZD? Never heard of it until now. No idea if it's good/bad. Not worth the effort to buy a PS4 for it. Then again, I'm more into Metroidvanias first, ARPG second. Most ARPGs tend to be boring, though. :/ Especially western designed ones.

mk8 is leaps and bounds better than mariokart wii(the worst one) and doubledash, but mk8 was a 2014 game

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
All Mario Kart games have their differences in gameplay. It's actually a lot more noticeable than you're trying to make it sound.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

mk8 is leaps and bounds better than mariokart wii(the worst one) and doubledash, but mk8 was a 2014 game
IMO, Mario Kart Wii was the last good MK game. After that the gameplay tweaks and balancing were for the worst.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I'm speaking as a casual player which I presume most MK players are. They buy the newest version because "Oh, I remember how much fun MK <insert version> was" and then buy the latest. Most the fun in most of them are with playing with other people, so aside from new game mechanics allowing a group who is dedicated to play the game again, most people I think buy it, figure out they don't have the time to play with friends, and not much comes of it. :/

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
i woulda never expected it to outsell horizon in half a year on a console that was always in short supply
Add in the fact its a rereleased game.. Of course, some would argue that fanboys are the reason

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Now THAT'S surprising! HZD got some really good reviews and generated a lot of hype, and from what I've heard, it was a decent game too. To have a 2014 remaster on a brand new system outsell a critically acclaimed, brand new game on an established platform is insane. Like others are saying above, I'm surprised the drop-off for this game was this intense. Even if it was overhyped, the positive buzz around it should've given it far more sales than it appears to have gotten.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu