lol Disney Shuts down LucasArts

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is for games not movies.

After acquiring LucasArts and Lucasfilm last year for a hefty price tag of $4.05 billion, Disney has today announced that LucasArts has seen its final days as the legendary publisher is being shut down.

In a statement issued to Game Informer, Disney stated that ""After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games." The quote goes on to say that " As a result of this change, we've had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles."

So will we see any more Star Wars games? Especially the highly anticipated Star Wars 1313?

Source 1
Source 2

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can not say such a business move was entirely unexpected.

That said Star Wars games have not been the best and certainly not a pinnacle of gaming like they once were for some time now so it could do some good to be apart.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I can not say such a business move was entirely unexpected.

That said Star Wars games have not been the best and certainly not a pinnacle of gaming like they once were for some time now so it could do some good to be apart.

The Star Wars games I actually enjoyed the most were the GBA Lego ones, I need to play them again someday.

I wonder what this will imply later on. z.z

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Am I the only one who thinks it's funny people are bitching about this, but let's be honest, it's not like the games were the most fantastic, or even sold that great.

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shame. Despite them abandoning the point and click market I still have very fond memories of there games

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want to see a stop to these silly Clone Wars TV series games, and a revival of the Dark Forces series and I'll be happy. Oh ya, a Star Wars based point and click adventure wouldn't hurt either. ;)

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No, they say "Kotaku says" they're canceled. And Kotaku only says "a reliable source to Kotaku"
Say what you will about Kotaku, but they are a reliable source of news (but they do like to put the sensationalist spin on stories for clicks). And in fact if there is no LucasArts, development at LucasArts has been cancelled. I personally don't think this is a bad thing, LucasArts hasn't made anything that great for at least a decade and maybe better studios will start making more Star Wars games. And am I the only one that believes that only Disney can save Star Wars to what Lucas had let it turn in to?

On an off topic note, are people just not reading my posts!? I post in a thread why it should be locked/moved 2 times on the first page, but only 4 pages later it gets locked for the exact reasons I posted...oh wait, maybe I should use the report button. But anyway /rant

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
in fact if there is no LucasArts, development at LucasArts has been cancelled

In the purely technical sense then yes, however games have changed developers before and this read more like a corporate restructuring than straight closing so the speculation was far from baseless/unwarranted.

I didn't like any Star Wars game ever anyway.

There have been some good ones further back in time and further back than that Lucasarts were a leading light in game development, so were Disney for that matter.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't like any Star Wars game ever anyway.
Sort of agree with you there, but Maniac Mansion? Day of the Tentacle? Monkey Island? Zombies Ate My Neighbours? (to name but a few) Classic games from my childhood/teen years - maybe we'd never have seen the likes again, but still, R.I.P LucasArts, you will be missed! :(

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sort of agree with you there, but Maniac Mansion? Day of the Tentacle? Monkey Island? Zombies Ate My Neighbours? (to name but a few) Classic games from my childhood/teen years - maybe we'd never have seen the likes again, but still, R.I.P LucasArts, you will be missed! :(
>Lists games I've never even heard of
Yep totally gonna miss LucasArts

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Heh, couldn't care less if you're gonna miss em or not bud, but for some those games are household names: while this news may mean nothing to you or the CoD queen OP, it's actually quite sad news for those of us on here who's balls have dropped....;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: :rofl2: