Lock/Archive threads after they hit a certain page?

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Law, Sep 10, 2009.

Sep 10, 2009
  1. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

Aug 14, 2007
    United Kingdom
    As of right now, when a topic is made, it stays in the board forever. Sure some of the older topics have had their posts wiped, but they still exist. Not to mention people recently bumping them in order to exploit a bug.

But don't these pages still take up space? How many people actually go past page 8 when searching for a topic? Probably not many, and I'm probably one of the few. Which is what I'm suggesting. Would it really be that hard to write a script that archives threads after they drop off the 8th page (Number can be adjusted to anything, that's just an example, due to the fact this forum isn't exactly quick moving, the number could probably be lower)? It would probably stop people from bumping incredibly old threads, not to mention (I'm just assuming here) that archiving would remove them from the server, freeing up space? Of course this script wouldn't need to be run in every forum, I'm guessing there would be boards that would be exempt, such as the release threads.

Now I know some people are going to say "But there's valuable information in there!", if it's so valuable, why isn't it stickied? Even so, people aren't going to search for it the majority of the time.

I'm not quite sure how this forum software works, it's not one I'm too familiar with. I'm just trying to suggest something that could save server space, and potentially bandwidth. I could be totally wrong, it's just getting to the point where the site shouldn't have to shut down just because the next iteration of Pokemon is being released.