Hacking Loading Wii games in vWii - SD card vs USB thumbdrive?

Which one is better?

• SD cards

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Spindash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Which one do you find works better? I know the Wii was picky with its USB thumbdrives... has it gotten better with the Wii U? More importantly, which one loads stuff faster? :unsure:

I know external hdds are better capacity/price-wise but since I move my Wii U a lot I prioritize convenience. Having to disconnect and move an externally powered 3.5" hdd often is a bit of a chore, plus it's not good for its health. And I've read reports of failures and crashes with 2.5" hdds + Y-cables...

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
USBLoaderGX does not support loading games through the internal SD card reader. I use a HDD(without Y cable) for WiiU games, a USB thumb drive for Wii games using USBLoaderGX, and internal SD card for GameCube games because Nintendon't does not support having more than 1 USB drive connnected. It sounds complicated but it works. I don't move my system very much so things do not get disconnected. Load speeds for everything are fast enough.

If you use WiiFlow all the the Wii and Gamecube games can go in the internal SD card reader.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Which one do you find works better? I know the Wii was picky with its USB thumbdrives... has it gotten better with the Wii U? More importantly, which one loads stuff faster? :unsure:

I know external hdds are better capacity/price-wise but since I move my Wii U a lot I prioritize convenience. Having to disconnect and move an externally powered 3.5" hdd often is a bit of a chore, plus it's not good for its health. And I've read reports of failures and crashes with 2.5" hdds + Y-cables...
Have you considered a good memory stick instead of an external hard drive? My Wii U has a 64GB and a 128GB USB drive. The 64GB is for the Wii U stuff and the 128 for Wii games and it works grand. Ones like the SanDisk Ultra Fit are great since they sit comfortably in the back of the system.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4
D

Deleted-19228

Nintendo recommends against using USB sticks on the Wii U. It does so many writes it apparently kills flash memory very quickly.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes.

what's nintendo is not recommending is using a flashdrive to format as a WiiU format.
using flash for their own WiiU partition is not recommended.

But keep in mind that flashdrive are not working very well with cIOS.
some drives will not work, some will read only and can't dump games, etc.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.