Loading Wii games in vWii - SD card vs USB thumbdrive?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Spindash, Dec 17, 2015.

?

Which one is better?

1. SD cards

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. USB thumbdrives

100.0%
  1. Spindash
    OP

Spindash Member

Newcomer
    Dec 15, 2015
    Which one do you find works better? I know the Wii was picky with its USB thumbdrives... has it gotten better with the Wii U? More importantly, which one loads stuff faster? :unsure:

I know external hdds are better capacity/price-wise but since I move my Wii U a lot I prioritize convenience. Having to disconnect and move an externally powered 3.5" hdd often is a bit of a chore, plus it's not good for its health. And I've read reports of failures and crashes with 2.5" hdds + Y-cables...

2. Bu2d85

Bu2d85 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Bu2d85 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2014
    United States
    USBLoaderGX does not support loading games through the internal SD card reader. I use a HDD(without Y cable) for WiiU games, a USB thumb drive for Wii games using USBLoaderGX, and internal SD card for GameCube games because Nintendon't does not support having more than 1 USB drive connnected. It sounds complicated but it works. I don't move my system very much so things do not get disconnected. Load speeds for everything are fast enough.

If you use WiiFlow all the the Wii and Gamecube games can go in the internal SD card reader.

3. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    The Wii U's SD read speed is axed in vWii mode. Get a Sandisk Cruzer model and you should be able to load games at top speed with any loader

4. Scarlet

Scarlet Phone Charm

GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Right
    Have you considered a good memory stick instead of an external hard drive? My Wii U has a 64GB and a 128GB USB drive. The 64GB is for the Wii U stuff and the 128 for Wii games and it works grand. Ones like the SanDisk Ultra Fit are great since they sit comfortably in the back of the system.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  5. Neptune

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    Nintendo recommends against using USB sticks on the Wii U. It does so many writes it apparently kills flash memory very quickly.

6. Spindash
    OP

Spindash Member

Newcomer
    Dec 15, 2015
    Doesn't it just read the wbfs/iso?

7. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    yes.

what's nintendo is not recommending is using a flashdrive to format as a WiiU format.
    using flash for their own WiiU partition is not recommended.

But keep in mind that flashdrive are not working very well with cIOS.
    some drives will not work, some will read only and can't dump games, etc.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.