Loading retail JP saves to retail US cartridges?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by PSI Ground, Sep 24, 2012.

1. PSI Ground
    OP

Newcomer PSI Ground Member

United States
    I have a japanese copy of Pokemon Black, and I wanted to transfer the save file to an english copy. I'm wondering if this would be possible, I know somewhat how to back up and load the saves using Wi-Fi, but I have no idea if the japanese save would work on an north america copy of the game. Would I need to run the save through a program to edit some data or something? Is it even possible?

Also, I have a laptop with WLAN, would it be possible for me to set up the Wi-Fi backup by just having it broadcast a signal for the DS to pick up on, even if it isn't actually connected to the internet? I don't actually have a router right now, I just use an ethernet cable for my consoles and for my DS and 3DS we use a Mac we have as a router since it works with those; but it can't run the save backup program on account of using OSX. And all I have for flash carts is my Acekard2i, no slot-2 cards.

Thanks for any help.

2. Skelletonike

Member Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    If you have something like a save dongle for the DS carts, then all you need to do is put the cartridge in one, remove the save from one game, and then inject that save file into the english game, it should work fine... Other than that, unless you're using roms I don't know another way.

3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    As far as DS things are concerned, whether out-of-region saves work depends entirely on the game.

You might be able to use pokesav/pokegen to tweak the save if needed, or transfer stuff over.

4. ichidansan

Member ichidansan GBAtemp Regular

United States
  5. PSI Ground
    OP

Newcomer PSI Ground Member

United States
    Alright, thanks.

I have another question, I do have an Action Replay DSi, but it's not the SD card version. Might there be some way for me to use it as an adapter to rip the save files from a retail cartridge put into it, or something? The AR code manager sadly doesn't have any options like that.

6. iHeartlessHero13

Newcomer iHeartlessHero13 Newbie

United States
    If you are interested in ripping savs from retail (Pokemon) carts.. Use PokeDocs tool from Project Pokemon
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe3OCjqrcAM
    However.. I haven't used it myself. The last sav i dumped was for Pokemon Platinum, and I used Sav Sender.