Loading PSP while using it ?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Youkai, Jun 15, 2008.

Jun 15, 2008

Loading PSP while using it ? by Youkai at 7:49 PM (2,425 Views / 0 Likes) 22 replies

1. Youkai
    OP

Member Youkai Demon

Germany
    Hi,

I know that normaly you should not load the batteries all the time (at least with laptops and such) while running it.
    But i don't know about the PSP, higher chance for the batterie to break down when i am running the PSP mostly while it loading up ?
    So would it be better to let it completely recarge first before going on playing ?

don't really want to ruin the psp shortly after i finaly got it XD

My laptops baterie did already break [​IMG] at the beginning it would run several hours now after 5 up to 10 minutes the baterie is empty

2. SavageWaffle

Member SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I dont understand what your trying to say. Are you trying to say that:
    Its not "good" to charge your PSP and use it at the same time?

Then yeah, its not good. Because then it damages your PSP's Battery, the cells to be exact.

3. Youkai
    OP

Member Youkai Demon

Germany
    yeah i didn't know how to say what i wanted to say ... so no problem that you did not understood.

Yes i wanted to know if it would be bad to play while charging the PSP the whole time.

cuz currently i was playing several hours while the PSP was charging and just thaught about if it would be bad for the battery

4. Tortimer

Newcomer Tortimer Advanced Member

Sweden
    Big thanks for telling me this! Don't want to lower batterylife any more than necessary.

5. Pyrofyr

Member Pyrofyr GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    No it should not be a problem. That's normally only a problem for systems that only load from the battery even when charging. The PSP uses external power while charging, so the battery is left alone if it's plugged in.

6. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    Lol I play mine when it's charging all the time. But I always charge it every night. Even though I know I shouldn't, I still do. =/

7. solange82200

Member solange82200 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Ok, now Im worried. I do this all the time. Can we get a consensus here? And if it is bad for the psp, is it just bad for the battery, or the entire psp? If worse comes to worse, I can just buy a new battery, right?

8. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    It's not bad for it. It just charges the battery while you run on external power.

9. altorn

Member altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    You can start your PSP with the battery on, plug the charger, and take off the battery. Play as long as your eyes can work. [​IMG]

10. Shyn

Member Shyn GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It doesn't do anything to the PSP itself. Theres just certain things that can cause some types of batteries' lifespans to shorten. Leaving your battery in and charging all of the time while playing may cause the battery to not be able to hold charge further down the line, but since you can get them fairly cheap, I wouldn't concern myself about it.

Also, I'm not entirely sure about how the PSP handles the battery when it is 100% charged, but most laptops with Li-ion batteries have a cutoff on the battery once fully charged, then run purely off of the AC adapter. Since the PSP is a pretty up to date device, I believe that it should have the same cutoff, in which case, it is safe to leave it plugged in all of the time, regardless of if it is in use or not.

11. altorn

Member altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Hmmm.... I keep my laptop plugged 24/7 and a couple of days i shut it off for a few hours..
    I've been doing this for 8months now, maybe my battery may die soon too...

12. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    General advice here on battery usage.

PSP: The PSP runs on batteries as long as it's the only power source. As soon as you plug in a power source, be it USB to USB (although that's a bit unstable, but still viable), USB to power (how I do it, always works fine for me), or AC, the PSP routes the external charge to the running system, then diverts any excess charge into the battery for filling up. Basically, it runs off the uninterruptable power source and charges the battery, until the power source is taken out, then it switches to the battery. External power is prioritized when using the PSP. Also, when the battery is fully charged, the power light will turn from orange (charging) to green, showing that it is running fine when the battery is actually not being used at all.

Laptops: More or less the same, depending on the age of your laptop. Older models (such as my cute little 299Mhz Toshiba Portégé) run off the battery only, and only use AC to charge the battery. Since my battery is dead (with less than 1 second of charge), it has to be plugged in always. With my newer laptop (Packard Bell SB85-P-009 limited coconut edition) it uses the AC to power the laptop and any excess charge goes to the battery to keep it topped up. I keep it plugged in 24/7, unless I'm using it for less than 2 hours (battery has up to 3 and a half hours life) in which I take out the power.

General: Batteries that are rechargable, without exception, always drain slowly over time. As the battery gets older, less charge can be held, and the drain is faster. To maximise battery life, you should completely discharge it at least once every week or month, just to keep the charge from going stale (not literally, but the point is the same). Also be sure to clean up the contacts every now and again, and not with your fingers. Dust/dirt in the contacts can eventually cake over the contacts, making the battery as good as dead. The only other advice I can give would be the usual/obvious - always keep more than one battery, be it for PSP or laptop. You never know when you might be travelling and need the extra hours of run-time.

EDIT: Woot on my 100th post! Cake for everybody!

13. the_skdster

Member the_skdster Advanced Member

Canada
    Nice reply. Now everyone will stop saying otherwise. Though most probably not.
    I like cake too. [​IMG]

14. IBNobody

Member IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

United States
    Just an FYI: The Nintendo DS appears to work in an opposite manner. The DS is always powered by the battery. If you remove the battery, even while the DS is plugged in, the DS will shut off.

15. Pyrofyr

Member Pyrofyr GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Yup that's one of the few downfalls of the DS, not being able to just play it all the time and run straight from external (Making the battery last longer) :[

16. Shyn

Member Shyn GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Actually, the complete discharge rule applies only to certain types of rechargeable batteries (NiMH and NiCd). Li-ion and Lead acid batteries should not often be fully discharged before charging.

17. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    For laptops, batteries usually deteriorate in 2-3 years, irregardless of how you charge/treat them (unless they are suffering extreme physical conditions like cold or heat)

18. Originality

United Kingdom
    The discharge battery advice was provided years ago when I was buying rechargable Ni-MH batteries for my MP3 player (years ago - I was the first person in my school to use an MP3 player, or a USB key for that matter - exactly a year before the rest of the school caught on). Also when I bought my new laptop, they provided me the same advice - that if I want to prolong the battery, I should allow it to fully discharge every now and again, like at the end of every month or so, then let it charge back up. They said it could make it last about 30% longer if I followed this advice.

Thanks IBNobody for the info. I knew that Nintendo got a lot wrong with their hand-held consoles, but I didn't know they got it THIS wrong. Having a Li-ion battery pack was a step up from GBA (I never tried the GBA SP) but they really should've worked on the energy priorities it seems. Still, the battery itself lasts amazingly long, so maybe it won't matter until the battery starts to lose charge? I'll just have to wait and see - it lasts up to 8 hours of endless play at the moment (compared to PSPs 3 hour limit, albeit second hand).

19. Little

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    Just to concur to this, I was always told that the test was to take out the battery while the mains was in on a device... if it shuts off, then you should not use it while it charges, since its being feed power and then your using power... and thats bad for it. However, if the device stays on, then it is ok since its running from the mains and just charging the battery =)

20. Originality

United Kingdom
    Simple and sensible. Good advice.