Hardware Loading demos on a WII U kiosk Console

Watertoon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like the kiosk system still has the GamePad Wi-Fi adapter, but it isn't connected to an antenna. You might be able to fix this by disassembling the system and connecting a Wi-Fi antenna. (They use the same connector as laptop Wi-Fi antennas.)
That is likely the case considering Wii remotes work just fine, but for a console with a September 2012 firmware and no demos I do not see the point of me opening it until I get an update disc if I ever find a decent one (Good price, at least 2014 or above date). Thanks for pointing out the likely cause of the issue though.

Keith_Loving

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very nice find, I think stores just give these to their employees when the store no longer needs the kiosk. I know this because back in 2000, I worked for K-Mart and they asked if I wanted the N64 KIOSK on the sales floor, I was like yeah! It was sold to me for $50 to make room on the sales floor for something new.

Watertoon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just found out my console was stuck in video only mode, preventing me from playing demos. However when the console isn't in video only mode it is near broken on this firmware. When the console is turned on with this mode disabled it will crash after a few seconds with the on/off light flashing red slowly, forcing me to unplug it and plug it back in. The console is fine when the mode is enabled though so I theorize it has something to do with the controller hub, or my lack of one. When video only mode is disabled the bottom of my settings menu displays that it is disconnected. I am still indifferent though because the amount of time before the system crashes was enough for me to check which demos were installed and there was only one demo, Rayman Legends. I dislike Rayman but I don't deny it is a solid game.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Watertoon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The mode is not near broken, it is fine. Actually I just discovered the issue is the console overheats itself causing the crash. It just takes more effort to run the demo so that is why the kiosk starts to flash red sooner. Hoping I can find an easy fix.

Edit: The fan doesn't work, or it is disconnected from the motherboard, I have to open this up now if I want it to work.

Last edited by Watertoon,

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just got a kiosk from gamestop. It does not have the console or the TV. If anyone wants one you should check your local stores. I was not able to get the unit as they giving it to nintendo. Nintendo is having themcut the wires for the gampad and wii mote to get it out of the unit. They just toss the stand out. So now is the time to gt one.

CosmoCortney

i snack raw pasta and chew lollipops
Trophies
Website
follow-the-white-rabbit.wtf
XP
Country
Germany
@Conker69 would you be so kind showing the wiring in detail?
The kiosk unit I've got was sold because someone tried to steal it and the GamePad got damaged. The hub seems to be working but the Wiimote's LEDs don't glow.
The console itself works fine (I can get to the demo video and a menu when inserting an SD card).
Yesterday I received a CAT-I demo disc which the console seems to accept (no long attempts on reading it like I had when putting it into a retail Wii U).
I would love to find a way navigating through the system :(

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those wondering why Kiosk has such a bad gamepad signal.... That single wire has to feed 3 antennas on the gamepad.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those wondering why Kiosk has such a bad gamepad signal.... That single wire has to feed 3 antennas on the gamepad.
Pretty sure that's connecting the Wi-Fi adapter to an SMA connector, which is common for kiosk (and dev) systems. In that case, there is no antenna to begin with, unless you connect one to the SMA connector instead of simply connecting a wired GamePad.

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure that's connecting the Wi-Fi adapter to an SMA connector, which is common for kiosk (and dev) systems. In that case, there is no antenna to begin with, unless you connect one to the SMA connector instead of simply connecting a wired GamePad.
I am saying that single wire is feeding 3 antenna spots on the gamepad.

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think that would be an issue when using a wired connection for DRC, though I can't confirm it myself.
Not a deal breaker, just permanent signal degradation. The extra board on the gamepad seems to do something regarding isolation and power management. If somebody could explain what is the purpose of that chip....
www.qorvo.com/products/d/da000416

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me drop another bump on this since there is no other place to leave this info, i made some guesses because i don't have a full kiosk stand nor the kiosk gamepad. The CATI-CTRL board main features:
- Tap into the front panel wires (J5 with CATI-RELAY) to provide external switch S-SW (J7) which likely can turn on/off/reset the console/gamepad/wiimotes as its signals go to a PIC 18F13K50 (U1). This PIC also has routes going to a 5 wire connector, J6, likely a serial port.
- Reroute gamepad usb power DRC DC IN (J3) to the DRC-WIRE (J4) that goes to the gamepad.
- In Kiosks with an Sata HDD, provide direct USB connection to the HDD controller board with mini usb ports J1 and J2. The SENSE line on the internal port is connected to the PIC 18F, while on the external port it is unused/grounded. Data +/- routed directly.

Back scanned, front had to be taken with a crappy phone camera.
gba1 - CATI-CTRL-FRONT.jpg gba2 - CATI-CTRL-BACK.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1