Hacking Loading a GBA game (Emerald) straight from 3in1?

5000 Watts

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, all I want to do is migrate a Pokemon from Emerald on my 3in1 EZ flash expansion pack to Heart Gold on a retailcart.
How is this possible?

Firstly, I tried making the 3in1 a GBA Gamepak on its own by using this 3in1tools.exe thing which "sends" a GBA Rom to the MicroSD card and is supposed to send it to the 3in1 somehow but that didn't work.

My hope was that I would turn the 3in1 into a GBA Gamepak then load it as an Emerald game and transfer the Pokemon to HeartGold. I would really appreciate any kind of help with this, especially from somebody who has had to go through it before.

Thanks.

Masked Ranger

Trophies
XP
Country
When you say the 3in1tools.exe thingy, what exactly are you using. You can turn your 3in1 into a "real" gba cart by using the GBA Exploader, IIRC.

D

Deleted-236924

Masked Ranger said:
When you say the 3in1tools.exe thingy, what exactly are you using. You can turn your 3in1 into a "real" gba cart by using the GBA Exploader, IIRC.
Does not matter in that case.
And it wouldn't be a "real" GBA cart.

Masked Ranger

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm able to load my retail FireRed game and save into the NOR of the 3in1 and I am able to migrate them into Pearl.

I can play FR in my DS with only the 3in1 inserted.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Straight to retail no for reasons already mentioned. Nothing stopping you from running a rom with the save from your retail card and flashing the save back after you got it done though.

As the 3 in 1 uses a different save type to the original GBA titles the DS game expects it to use the same save type. You can patch a DS rom but not a DS cart, the patch for the DS rom can be found http://nds.cmamod.com/2009/07/07/pokepatch-v42-and-v5alpha3/

Masked Ranger

Trophies
XP
Country
Pingouin7 said:
Does not matter in that case. And it wouldn't be a "real" GBA cart.
Could you tell me why it wouldn't matter?

QUOTE(FAST6191 @ Jun 10 2011, 10:00 AM) Straight to retail no for reasons already mentioned. Nothing stopping you from running a rom with the save from your retail card and flashing the save back after you got it done though.

As the 3 in 1 uses a different save type to the original GBA titles the DS game expects it to use the same save type. You can patch a DS rom but not a DS cart, the patch for the DS rom can be found http://nds.cmamod.com/2009/07/07/pokepatch-v42-and-v5alpha3/
I have used one of Rudolph's tools (can't remember which one) to rip my retail cart and save, put it on a flashcart, run ExpLoader to put the game and save into NOR and have Pearl ask me to import from FireRed.

D

Deleted-236924

Masked Ranger said:
FAST6191 said:
Straight to retail no for reasons already mentioned. Nothing stopping you from running a rom with the save from your retail card and flashing the save back after you got it done though.

I have used one of Rudolph's tools (can't remember which one) to rip my retail cart and save, put it on a flashcart, run ExpLoader to put the game and save into NOR and have Pearl ask me to import from FireRed.
Why would you choose to transfer the Pokémon from the 3in1 rather than from the retail cart?
You obviously were running a patched copy of Pearl on a Slot-1 flashcart, too.

Masked Ranger

Trophies
XP
Country
There are several reasons. Big fat GBA cartridges stick out of the little DSlite, I want to keep the pokemon that I have captured in FR on FR since I've failed the "gotta catch'em all" part of the game, I have a GBA Action Replay that lets me cheat if I want to, and if I want to play more than one GBA game, I don't have to carry around multiple GBA cartridges.

No, I am not running a patched/edited/trimmed Pearl. Clean and verified.

Edit: Found what's going on. I ripped my Pearl game and save to a AceKard. The AceKard lets me migrate using a 3in1. Swapped the AceKard with my original Pearl, and couldn't migrate.

Edit2: I'm not sure if I played far enough in the retail cartridge to migrate, so take what I've just said with a grain of salt.

D

Deleted-236924

Masked Ranger said:
There are several reasons. Big fat GBA cartridges stick out of the little DSlite, I want to keep the pokemon that I have captured in FR on FR since I've failed the "gotta catch'em all" part of the game, I have a GBA Action Replay that lets me cheat if I want to, and if I want to play more than one GBA game, I don't have to carry around multiple GBA cartridges.

No, I am not running a patched/edited/trimmed Pearl. Clean and verified.

Edit: Found what's going on. I ripped my Pearl game and save to a AceKard. The AceKard lets me migrate using a 3in1. Swapped the AceKard with my original Pearl, and couldn't migrate.

Edit2: I'm not sure if I played far enough in the retail cartridge to migrate, so take what I've just said with a grain of salt.
It is not possible to get Pearl to show the "Migrate from Fire Red" option in the main menu if the rom is not patched.
I guess if you even saw that option in the main menu, it means that AKAIO maybe auto-patches the rom if it detects a Pokémon game in the 3in1 or something. (if that's even possible)

Masked Ranger

Trophies
XP
Country
AKAIO does all the work. From here (http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/AKAIO#AKAIO):

Does AKAIO support GBA Link mode?
As of AKAIO 1.3 FINAL GBA Link mode is available on the Acekard 2 only and for the following games:
NDS - Pokemon Diamond, Pearl. and Platinum
GBA - Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Fire Red, and Leaf Green
The GBA cart save to NDS game loading works behind the scenes. Make use of the in-game options to "link" with your GBA game, AKAIO will do the rest. Both the eWin and EZ3in1 are supported.

D

Deleted-236924

Masked Ranger said:
AKAIO does all the work. From here (http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/AKAIO#AKAIO):

Does AKAIO support GBA Link mode?
As of AKAIO 1.3 FINAL GBA Link mode is available on the Acekard 2 only and for the following games:
NDS - Pokemon Diamond, Pearl. and Platinum
GBA - Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Fire Red, and Leaf Green
The GBA cart save to NDS game loading works behind the scenes. Make use of the in-game options to "link" with your GBA game, AKAIO will do the rest. Both the eWin and EZ3in1 are supported.
Then you can't say you were running an unpatched rom.
AKAIO patched the rom before launching it.

Still, it's nice to see AKAIO has native support for that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: Oh @RedColoredStars yeah thats sad :sad: i feel it.