Loading a backup disc using a DVD+R Instead of DVD-R?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by placebooooo, Feb 16, 2014.

1. placebooooo
    OP

placebooooo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 9, 2013
    United States
    Philadelphia
    Hi guys,
    I was curious to ask, I'm used to using dvd-r discs for my backup discs for the wii system but I am currently out of DVD-Rs, and my rhythm heaven fever disc stopped working so I decided to make a backup. My questions is: is it still ok to use a DVD+R even though I read online that it could cause freezes/wear out the laser or something like that. Or the wii be fine?

P.s I dont want to open another thread for this so I decided to ask here, the eshop on my wii is asking for an update. Is it ok if I update it even though my wii is hacked or is some special way to update?

Thank you.

2. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    In imgburn you can set the booktype to DVD-ROM which makes dvd+r disks work with varying levels of success. They still don't always work.

3. placebooooo
    OP

placebooooo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 9, 2013
    United States
    Philadelphia
    I just burned it and the game worked. But my question is: is it really true that they are more harmful to the wii than dvd-r backup discs?

4. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    No. The Wii can't decypher which type of disc you are using if it can read burned games. You can even use DVD-RW/+RW discs too.

5. tHciNc

tHciNc Total Random

Jan 14, 2006
    New Zealand
    and DVD+R's work fine for me, i think early on i used only +R as had a 100 spindle, I think it may be writer dependemt, as i recall some people having issues with them constantly