Hacking Load Save from SD Patch, Possible?

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it technically possible to create a patch that forces a loader or games through the disc channel to save and load save files to and from the SD card? I know that SD file streaming is possible, it was officially started in the latter Guitar Hero games. I wonder if anyone else has thought about this.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yes with the help of various usb loader that can also load legit discs.
These loaders can be setup to save on a nand dump ( emunand )

Has been possible since d2x v6 arose I think ( about 1 1/2 years now.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes with the help of various usb loader that can also load legit discs.
These loaders can be setup to save on a nand dump ( emunand )

Has been possible since d2x v6 arose I think ( about 1 1/2 years now.

I know that NAND emulation from the SD has been available for years but I'm not fond of the idea. I was kinda hoping someone added a load/save to/from SD option in one of the USB loaders without, having to copy and emulate my NAND from the SD card. Either way, it's not a pressing issue :) I have over 500 blocks available which is more than enough space to load any bit of software from the SD menu. I just don't like having to move my Smash save back and forth each time I want to play Smash :P Also, I was just curious about the state of that development within the community. Last time I searched around for a save solution there was the homebrew app "Savegame Manager" and at that rate I might as well use the native manager.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I know that NAND emulation from the SD has been available for years but I'm not fond of the idea. I was kinda hoping someone added a load/save to/from SD option in one of the USB loaders without, having to copy and emulate my NAND from the SD card. Either way, it's not a pressing issue :) I have over 500 blocks available which is more than enough space to load any bit of software from the SD menu. I just don't like having to move my Smash save back and forth each time I want to play Smash :P Also, I was just curious about the state of that development within the community. Last time I searched around for a save solution there was the homebrew app "Savegame Manager" and at that rate I might as well use the native manager.
Well, you would not even notice having a virtual nand just for saving.
BTW it also completely compatible with savegamemanager.

Your not emulating a wii like Neek2o. Your loaders are just using a nand dump for saving.
This mean that you would a lot more space for saving you games.
This would also be less stressful for you wii's ( somewhat ) limited write cycles.
+ you can use your saves on a different Wii without having to make a backup first
And if you do not like it, it's always optional and can be turned of or on a per game basis ( usb loader GX )
Usb loader GX can also dump your nand right from the GUI! It's easy!

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
soN say that I want to use this emulated NAND setup for games with save files over 1 blocks like Smash and Need for Speed Nitro, would I be able to tell USB Loader GX to only use the emu nand for those games? Would the emu nand have the same Wii System Number as my real NAND?

9thSage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried Config USB Loader? It has a partial nand emulation option that pretty much works only for a game's save file. It has a built in option to transfer a save from NAND to the emulated one also, it's quite easy. I actually use it for Brawl myself. I'm not 100% sure if it's saving to SD or not however, now that I think about it. I think it saves to USB.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried Config USB Loader? It has a partial nand emulation option that pretty much works only for a game's save file. It has a built in option to transfer a save from NAND to the emulated one also, it's quite easy. I actually use it for Brawl myself. I'm not 100% sure if it's saving to SD or not however, now that I think about it. I think it saves to USB.

I have a philosophy when it comes to mods. "The best mods do not look like mods." it might sound silly but it's the reason why I like USB Loader GX above all other loaders. The new "channels setup" is simply awesome. With that said, I have a question. With any of these emulated NANDs, do they keep the same Wii System Number as the real NAND? For me this is very important, especially when dealing with Animal Crossing and other WiiConnect24 enabled games. If the answer is "yes" then I might start looking for a tutorial to set up a emuNAND for some of my saves.

9thSage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With that said, I have a question. With any of these emulated NANDs, do they keep the same Wii System Number as the real NAND? For me this is very important, especially when dealing with Animal Crossing and other WiiConnect24 enabled games. If the answer is "yes" then I might start looking for a tutorial to set up a emuNAND for some of my saves.
Well, the only part of NAND it's doing anything special for is where the save game is stored, everything else comes from your actual system NAND, so I'm sure that things will work as you expect. At least it seems to just fine with Brawl (it hasn't asked me to get a new friend code or anything like that if this is what you mean). I'd be surprised if anything else had a problem like that with it.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the only part of NAND it's doing anything special for is where the save game is stored, everything else comes from your actual system NAND, so I'm sure that things will work as you expect. At least it seems to just fine with Brawl (it hasn't asked me to get a new friend code or anything like that if this is what you mean). I'd be surprised if anything else had a problem like that with it.

Cool, thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head