Hacking Load backups on 2008 Wii with Spare Parts?

Coolperez8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, basically, I have this laptop with a fried motherboard, and a Wii from 2008, is it possible to take out the disk drive from the laptop and use it on the Wii to play backup games? And, for playing backup games, am I supposed to download a ROM or something? And, could I play ROM hacks? The Wii cannot read CD/DVD's, just Wii games, I got it in December of 2008 for Christmas...

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Coolperez8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it is possible. As a matter of fact, my Wii uses a hard disk from an old laptop. What you need is a kind of Sata to USB adapter. I use this one in my Wii and it works like a charm: http://www.dx.com/p/usb-3-0-hard-disk-drive-enclosure-for-2-5-sata-hdd-black-127167#.VELaM3W9_Qo

You need to download Wii ROMs and you can play ROM hacks. This is not a total trivial matter, but there is plenty of documentation in the internet

Oh, how can I get the disk drive from the laptop?

Coolperez8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it is possible. As a matter of fact, my Wii uses a hard disk from an old laptop. What you need is a kind of Sata to USB adapter. I use this one in my Wii and it works like a charm: http://www.dx.com/p/usb-3-0-hard-disk-drive-enclosure-for-2-5-sata-hdd-black-127167#.VELaM3W9_Qo

You need to download Wii ROMs and you can play ROM hacks. This is not a total trivial matter, but there is plenty of documentation in the internet

Oh, and I've heard some Wii's can read DVD's, probably the ones 2007 and before, can my Wii from December 2008 do this? (I don't really know if all Wii's do this, I've heard it's just the ones 2007 and before, while some others say "Yes, the Wii has the hardware to do it", which I interpret as all Wii's can do this.)

Coolperez8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Oh, I also forgot to mention, does the GameCube and Wii have the same graphics capabilities?

A

angelboy777

This is kind of off topic, but isn't it ISO's not ROMS?

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Oh, how can I get the disk drive from the laptop?

Ow, I think I got confused. I thought you meant the hard disk, but did you mean the disk drive = the thing that read CDs and DVDs? You can't use your laptop disk drive in your Wii. You can use your hard disk plugged through an USB cable, that's what I do in my Wii.

Oh, and I've heard some Wii's can read DVD's, probably the ones 2007 and before, can my Wii from December 2008 do this? (I don't really know if all Wii's do this, I've heard it's just the ones 2007 and before, while some others say "Yes, the Wii has the hardware to do it", which I interpret as all Wii's can do this.)

I am not sure, I heard that the Black Wii and the Wii that have no Gamecube controller ports are the ones that can't read DVD.

Oh, I also forgot to mention, does the GameCube and Wii have the same graphics capabilities?
Wii is a little better than Gamecube graphically speaking. The Wii can display games in widescreen and the Wii GPU is better than the Gamecube GPU.

This is kind of off topic, but isn't it ISO's not ROMS?

ROM stands for read-only memory. ISO is a file format for a disc rom. I guess your confusion comes from the fact that rom is usually more associated with cartridge media, but CD/DVD/BD are also ROM. ISO is only one of the formats in which Wii ROMs are stored. You have iso, wbfs, bin/cue, img... They are all ROMs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nah I can still go for totinos