Living under the sea?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Yil, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Yil
    OP

Yil GBAtemp Addict

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    The first problem is that high speed communication is mostly cut off from the surface, which means the environment is semi-isolated. Electromagnetic wave will get absorbed quickly, and sonic comes with several seconds of delay. Light / electric cable would require constant care not to mention if the later leak as salt water is very conductive.
    The second is the massive pressure in mid of the ocean, which the material is as expansive as say those used in space programs. 100 atmosphere is no joke, and that's just 1 kilometer (less due to higher density) below the surface. All the creatures there can easily resist the pressure which means our standard weaponry is useless not to mention their huge sizes compared to their fresh water or shore counterpart. And the predators can penetrate that kind of shell or even skin, which means it can as easily chew through our vehicles. Then there is geological factor, the temperature, the makeup, and not to mention the constant rusting with which be worsen if we try to zap the fish as that is the only viable option I can think of besides torpidos.
    The third is food source, as creatures are hard to kill or even fend off. We need teams dedicated to food production/ hunting and we need to set up power supply from the surface or develop some alternative source. (being really close to deeper layers does have perks, for example huge amount of thermal)
    The fourth is the ocean might already be occupied. Though even someone insane like me is skeptical about the possibilities.

2. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Based on all of your threads you must take an extraordinary amount of drugs.

3. flame1234

flame1234 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 17, 2009
    United States
    There was a horror movie, can't remember the name. Maybe it was a book? The setting was an undersea research base. Bad stuff starts happening, and the researchers start getting picked off one-by-one.

It's like a space base. It can't survive without ground support, but it can survive for a long time indeed with ground support.

People who know what they're doing see it as pointless, or not a cost efficient way to do research anyway, so one isn't built.

4. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    You know most high speed telecommunications and internet is not sent as electromagnetic signals over the air, but it actually travels using several transatlantic undersea cables, don't you?
    Well, you can hijack those cables.
    Starving, imploding, and drowning might still be a problem, but you have your hispeed internet secured!

TVL likes this.
  5. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008

Under the sea
    Under the sea
    Darling it's better
    Down where it's wetter
    Take it from me
    Up on the shore they work all day
    Out in the sun they slave away
    While we devotin'
    Full time to floatin'
    Under the sea

Ritsuki likes this.
  6. fenixcumber

fenixcumber Don't need's a 1UP

Feb 5, 2017
    Spain
    inside me
    [​IMG]
    the simpsons and their predictions...

7. Yil
    OP

Yil GBAtemp Addict

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    The city will need to be much deeper than cables, and dedicated cables Will possibly both act as means of energy delivery and data transfer.
    High pressure can lead to crumbling which compresses volume and leak Will flood the interor not to mention the pressure is almost comparable to water cutter given enough depth.
    It's not really about the Internet. Though I guess using sound is good enough For basic communications.

Last edited by Yil, Mar 31, 2017
  8. puss2puss

puss2puss ♻ThinkGreen♻

Dec 18, 2013
    Canada

..ALL YOU CAN EAT SEAFOOD!! and a big glass of pisS.. mmmm..

9. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    Purgatory
    The Abyss or Sphere?

And I think the pressure would be a bigger problem than the quality of your Netflix.

puss2puss likes this.
  10. Ritsuki

Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Mar 15, 2008
    Switzerland
    Thank God someone did it. Still had to scroll down way too much to find it :P

Flame likes this.
  11. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I'd rather live up in the clouds.
    Got to watch out for Zealots and Firemen tho