Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So Live Earth is about rising awareness for climate change and yet the whole even, which is taking place in 10 countries will probably cause a crap load weather problems!

Why?

Millions across the world who won't usually have their TV's on will have their TV's on, and its not for a few hours its for 22 hours! I've heard on the telly and radio that a lot of people plan on watching the whole event.

The 10 events themselves will be causing more pollution than most people in one lifetime, yeah yeah I understand that they are using some sort of "eco-friendly" stuff to stage it but they are also using none "eco-friendly" stuff as well.

The many many private jets that will be used to transport rock/pop stars/hacks as well as "VIPs", rich idiots and others attending the events.

The many people who will be using their cars to get there, most of which will be stuck in traffic for many hours causing more pollution.

Now I personally think its has got some of the most awful god forsaken people in music but meh thats just my opinion but still it just seems like a crap idea to me because MOST PEOPLE ALREADY KNOW ABOUT THIS ANYWAY SO WHATS THE POINT IN THIS? The only ones who don't know are those poor starving people in 3rd world countries, and basically they've done nothing to cause any of the problems anyway.

It also seems that most of the artists on there are attention seeking whores or jump on whatever band wagon going on.

Surely the money, time and effort put into this thing would be a lot better spent on finding ways to cutting our carbon commissions? It would help if offices and shops turned off their lights, computer and etc when no one is at the premises.

Anyone agree or disagree?

Thank you for reading my badly written rant, and please correct me on many of my statements.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
An irony would be if it would be a hot and sunny day when it plays and the band would go, "THIS IS WHAT YOUR POLLUTING DOES" But no... it's gonna be soaking wet and they'll go "WELL DONE. THIS IS WHAT PROPER BRITISH SUMMER IS LIKE"

nephdj

Trophies
XP
Country
I disagree totally

first 1/2 is nonsense
The concert is to cause awareness
Why claim traffic jams? your making things up (diana concert didnt make jams)
As for private jets, most playing are from that country (or there via a tour, linkin park n xzibit in japan)... why would they need a private jet?

"MOST PEOPLE ALREADY KNOW ABOUT THIS ANYWAY SO WHATS THE POINT IN THIS?"
again awareness

http://www.liveearth.msn.com/about/factsheet
u really dislike most of that music?
most of the euro stuff is dodgy, but USA, AUS & Japan looks awsome

yay crowded house
smile.gif

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
An irony would be if it would be a hot and sunny day when it plays and the band would go, "THIS IS WHAT YOUR POLLUTING DOES" But no... it's gonna be soaking wet and they'll go "WELL DONE. THIS IS WHAT PROPER BRITISH SUMMER IS LIKE"

You understand that more heat=more evaporation=more rain for some places, drought for others though?

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm all for saving the earth and whatnot but why does it have to be stuck up celebrities solving all of the worlds problems? According to Bob Geldof if he isn't organising it, it's a "waste of time". And like hadrian said bands and musicians contribute a huge amount to polution with private cars/planes and very few practise what they preach - Madonna is taking a train to the Live Earth in London tomorrow ...whoop de doo! It's probably the first time she's done that since she became famous.

Semi topical clip of Bono:

Edit: And another of Chris Martin.

happy.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
u really dislike most of that music?
most of the euro stuff is dodgy, but USA, AUS & Japan looks awsome
From the list I like would see are Bloc Party & Foo Fighters. Thats it. Some other have done some great songs or some great albums but its mostly mediocrity crap that gets played on Radio 2. I would like to see Smashing Pumpkins but then its only really 2 people (I think) from the original line up and they've not done a decent record since Infinite Sadness.

But then the lineup isn't really aimed at me, I'm sure people are creaming themselves off over the line up and good for them I hope they have a good time.

I just feel that the money, time and effort would be better off spent doing something more productive, I'm fed up with benefit concerts being the answer to everything nowadays, cool if they create enough money and what not but most just seem to be put on just so they can top Live Aid.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Not that the "Live Earth = awareness" thing is doing anything to make us more aware of anything.

The news coverage: "Numerous idle celebrities are pursuing vaguelly noble causes around the world again... I can't remember what this one is about... "

The music channel coverage: "And there's Madonna, and there's Justin Timberlake, and there's Nelly Furtado... and there's Akon... download their ringtones from our sponsors.... and now this week's charts..."

People watching it on TV: "Cool, concert... meh, some speech... I'll watch CSI 'til they stop talking... oooh, music! ROOOOOCK!!!!!... meh, some stupid commercials... I'll watch CSI again... oooh, music! ROOOOOCK!!!... Well, that was fun..."

People at the concerts: "Maaaaan, I'm so waaasteeed... I drank like four gallons'a beeeer, maaaan...."

I am, like, so aware right now, like totally. Ecology rocks.

ZzzZilla

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Well first off, I have to agree with mst of what Hadrian said, but I hope we're wrong.

I would hope that the very idea of such an event: people all over the world, uniting for a cause, will cause people to think twice about how they've been treating their environment, and how that 'little bit' they as individuals can actually accumulate.

I would hope that out of the 2 billion people that will be watching, a significant proportion will be affected enough to make a difference. Because like it or not, while we might like to think 'we already know all this', knowing and doing are two entirely separate things. And I'm hoping that these celebrities can reach out and motivate the hordes of celebrity-obsessed people out there. (There must be a lot, how else does the Celebrity industry thrive?)

And I desperately hope for a positive, lasting result to come out of this. Whatever ulterior motives Al Gore, the organizers, the corporations or the artises have, I don't care. I do care about the environment, and a successful Live Earth event sure beats the hell out of doing nothing.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
It'd help if I'd actually heard of it before this morning
biggrin.gif
And we have the radio on every day at work, so it's not like I'm living in a bubble world and missed it or anything, it just hasn't been mentioned.

Besides, everyone knows about climate change and global warming already. It's just certain world leaders *cough* who pretend it doesn't exist, and a music concert's going to do jack shit to sort that out.

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Besides, everyone knows about climate change and global warming already. It's just certain world leaders *cough* who pretend it doesn't exist, and a music concert's going to do jack shit to sort that out.

Don't mean to be a know-it-all but not all scientists agree that global warming is happening. Humans can barely predict weather patterns 1 month in the future so im pretty doubtful that they can predict global weather patterns two decades in the future. Also, since the earth's weather is dynamic there is no way of telling if this recent warming is a natural shift or a man made event. There is also urban heat island effect and lots more stuff but thats for another time. There are lot of studies on this issue and most credible ones(the ones not funded by hippies or republicans) have found no evidence that global warming is being caused by humans.

But most celebrities don't care about facts they just wanna parade around "oh look im helping the cute little people and their nice little earth, well its over, lets jet off to Africa where I can pickup those adorable starving children who have now become the latest fashion accessory"

I guess ignorance is bliss

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
There are lot of studies on this issue and most credible ones (the ones not funded by hippies or republicans) have found no evidence that global warming is being caused by humans.

But most celebrities don't care about facts they just wanna parade around.

I guess ignorance is bliss
I thought they were fighting pollution
unsure.gif

Energy conservation OR using renewable sources = less fossil fuels burned = less filth in the air/water/land = less filth we eat/drink/breathe/absorb by osmosis.

Global warming notwithstanding
happy.gif

nephdj

Trophies
XP
Country
Not that the "Live Earth = awareness" thing is doing anything to make us more aware of anything.
Its not aimed at tech savvy people who read news online
got to think outside the box, its like nintendo with brain training
you cannot assume people are aware, if they are clearly ignorant or just have generalized views baised on what a tv show said

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country

Don't mean to be a know-it-all but not all scientists agree that global warming is happening. Humans can barely predict weather patterns 1 month in the future so im pretty doubtful that they can predict global weather patterns two decades in the future.

That's a bit like saying because your doctor can't predict when you're going to get your next cold he can't tell you if you're at risk from cancer or diabetes. Long term weather forecasting

Also, since the earth's weather is dynamic there is no way of telling if this recent warming is a natural shift or a man made event. There is also urban heat island effect and lots more stuff but thats for another time. There are lot of studies on this issue and most credible ones(the ones not funded by hippies or republicans) have found no evidence that global warming is being caused by humans.

No, the most reliable, peer reviewed studies report that humans most probably influence global warming. You said in the last paragraph that not all scientists agree it's happening. Now you're saying it's happening but might not be caused by humans. This is the problem with global-warming conspiracy kooks, they can't get their stories straight and link to each other's blogs as if they're backing each other up when they're actually saying totally different things.

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Live Earth is just going to make us FORGET about global warming. If no one wants to do anything about the issue, why make a freaking concert?

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
No, the most reliable, peer reviewed studies report that humans most probably influence global warming. You said in the last paragraph that not all scientists agree it's happening. Now you're saying it's happening but might not be caused by humans. This is the problem with global-warming conspiracy kooks, they can't get their stories straight and link to each other's blogs as if they're backing each other up when they're actually saying totally different things.

no what I said is that there is a warming trend but scientists don't agree with why its happening. Im not a conspiracy kook I hate assholes who believe crap without looking at facts. Im all for environmental awareness and have worked for many environmental organizations and im part of the green party so I have nothing against people caring for this issue but nowadays global warming has become pure faith, most people believing in it because they are told to. Nowadays anyone who doubts global warming for a second is immediately labeled a nut, sadly this hinders our understanding for our environment and completely undermines the scientific process of proving a theory based on facts.

Its impossible to forecast long term weather patterns, this isn't medicine, humans have been on earth for a relatively short time and know almost nothing of past weather patterns which might be influencing todays climate.

If you want to argue with me seriously on this then I suggest we continue this via PM.

But whatever you can just continue assuming im a conspiracy kook, your choice.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm afraid you can equally say that about people who gobble up films by Mark Durkin, or believe the impression the media gives that there's some kind of 50-50 split about if mankind contributes to global warming or not in peer reviewed scientific studies. There's certainly a much higher percentage people blabbering on about "Ooh, we don't really know, nothing actually shows human produced CO2 effects the climate, I heard it probably doesn't" in circles of celebrities, journalists, bloggers, film makers and college kids than there is amongst actual respected scientists.

Saying that the length of time humans have been on earth has any bearing on how much we know about past climates indicates very little knowledge of the research involved.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: c