Hacking Lite-On DG-16D2S 74850C + JTAG

chevowner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is not my console. I did the JTAG mod on this console, but I am unsure what firmware is on the drive (I forgot). I want to say it is Ixtreme 1.6, all I remember it is really old now.
The dash needs updaing I know, but the reason the owner wants something done is it does not read many game discs.
I cant seem to remember what firmware would allow the system to read newer game discs but not lock any of them out.
I have not bothered to keep up with 360 news for over a year now.

What firmware would you recommend for this Xbox?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"but not lock any of them out"

Assuming you mean not lock any burned discs out then to the best of my knowledge there is none. There are some types of burn/rip that just do not work on modern consoles, even with the low level hacks afforded by JTAG. I suppose theoretically some hackers and programmers could get together to combine JTAG and DVD into some monster hack, why anybody would when you can just reburn the game, rip it to the hard drive or play from USB I have no idea.

If you say 1.6 then you quite possibly mean 1.6NS (though it could be vanilla 1.6). The biggest issue is likely to be XGD3 discs and having to go up to a dashboard that needs the new firmwares, possibly also AP2.5 games (XGD3 games plus a select few others). Lesser issues might include some really old dumps of games and oddities there.

Short version. Time to bite the bullet. Update the firmware to the newest one available, update the dashboard too, reburn/rip any games that do not work to USB/onboard hard drive and carry on with life.

elmoemo

Trophies
XP
Country
Are you sure its jtagged? If so update the system (not on live). If its not jtagged and only flashed with I extreme then return to stock and update via live. Then re flash the drive to latest fw for all games

chevowner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure its jtagged? If so update the system (not on live). If its not jtagged and only flashed with I extreme then return to stock and update via live. Then re flash the drive to latest fw for all games

Yes I am sure. Like I said in my OP I did that myself.

"but not lock any of them out"

Assuming you mean not lock any burned discs out then to the best of my knowledge there is none. There are some types of burn/rip that just do not work on modern consoles, even with the low level hacks afforded by JTAG. I suppose theoretically some hackers and programmers could get together to combine JTAG and DVD into some monster hack, why anybody would when you can just reburn the game, rip it to the hard drive or play from USB I have no idea.

If you say 1.6 then you quite possibly mean 1.6NS (though it could be vanilla 1.6). The biggest issue is likely to be XGD3 discs and having to go up to a dashboard that needs the new firmwares, possibly also AP2.5 games (XGD3 games plus a select few others). Lesser issues might include some really old dumps of games and oddities there.

Short version. Time to bite the bullet. Update the firmware to the newest one available, update the dashboard too, reburn/rip any games that do not work to USB/onboard hard drive and carry on with life.

I don't know what 1.6NS is, but it is probably one of 3 firmwares.
IXtreme 1.51 from 2009
IXtreme 1.6 from 2009
iXtreme Lite Touch from 2010
These are old firmwares, and I know the dash is newer then the firmware on the DVD drive.

I lost a few of my file backups, but the last dash update I know of for this console was about April 2010.
I am guessing it is 9199 as that is the newest NAND file I have for it. I doubt I have the NAND file on my PC that the console is using, but I am unsure there.

PS
The DVD drive was flashed before the console was JTAGED

Attachments

• 9199.png
    9199.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 278

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1.6NS was the one released around Christmas/New Years as we were all waiting for an update to support the new waves and a bit more besides, this would eventually become LT/lite touch and it sounds like you were still around for that transition so it is a distinct possibility.

It was mainly just a minor mod that made it so it was like the "disable all protections" disc was put in beforehand. Owing to it working for a long time (basically right up until the DVD firmware got updated by MS, especially if you were on JTAG), being compatible with everything bar the original AP2.5 games and being less picky about old rips it was pretty popular.

No real need for history of the 360 DVD mods though, doubly so if you have a JTAG machine.

chevowner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would this file be in the normal place?
If it was my console I would have no problems working around the DVD drive, but it is my brothers xbox.
He told me he wants to buy a new one to play the games the DVD drive wont read.
I'm just trying to be nice to him.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The new hacked DVD firmwares should be the usual places, if you are going to update then you want the latest one there. With the updated DVD firmware that MS pushed on the 360 the old ones are of no great use any more, especially if you want to use discs (official and otherwise).

It may come at the cost of some of your old burned discs not working any more, it may not. ABGX360 will tell you.

chevowner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was the easy part.
Thanks for the input now I know for sure what to do.
The hard part will be getting him to believe it is the old hacked DVD firmware causing the issue, but if he cant believe me he can waste his money.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM