Hardware [LIST] Stupid Things That Need to be Changed on Wii U

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have had a Wii U for roughly three weeks and I realize now that this system has no middle ground. Things are either really good or really bad. Here is a list of things that need to change. Note, I'm not talking about the lack of third party games. I'm keeping this list, console features focused. Feel free to add in your pet peeves as well.

1- The inability to auto switch internet connections >> I ran into this last night and it pissed me off. Why have the ability to store network settings if a damn piece of 200+ dollar hardware can't be smart enough to scan all of your network options and pick the appropriate connection without having to do it manually???

2- Preset over scan ssettings >> Not every TV acts the same way. I really hate that I can't accurately modify my over scan settings. I hate that when I have my component cables in, I can't change my aspect ratio.

3- The inability for the console to recognize your SD cables in a emergency >> This one makes me go WTF?! On the original Wii, if you screwed up your video settings with your component cables, connecting with your composite cables will automatically reset the video settings to 480i. That was a great fail safe and the Wii U has nothing like it. -Really?!

4-
Having to go to the Miiverse to send a message to a friend but not being able to send a message directly from the friends list >> Are you shitting me? Who came up with this ass backwards way of communication?!

5- The lack of proper Wii Remote support >> If I want to startup my console with my Wii Remote, I shouldn't have to worry about not being able to call up a URL bar in the browser due to the lack of a gamepad. I shouldn't be blocked off from the eShop even thou the damn shop shows the SAME thing on BOTH screens. I can understand forcing gamepad usage for the system settings menu BUT the Wii remote and Pro Controller should be properly supported in all other aspects of the console.

6- Netflix's lack of profiles support >> Its been nearly THREE years and you're telling me that Netflix STILL does not have profile support?! Even the Wii has profiles support.

OK, I'm done ranting. Join me people and let's rant together :)

solarsaturn9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never experienced 1-3, but I do agree with 4 & 6. I think Netflix should be responsible for updating its app, however.

Your 5th concern is not something that I think should be supported. The annoying thing about Wii was multiple users being able to control the interface with Wiimotes. Nobody likes that. I think it's perfectly fine to have a requirement that the player uses the gamepad for these types of things. It's especially helpful for typing because doing that with a Wiimote was stupid.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never experienced 1-3, but I do agree with 4 & 6. I think Netflix should be responsible for updating its app, however.

Your 5th concern is not something that I think should be supported. The annoying thing about Wii was multiple users being able to control the interface with Wiimotes. Nobody likes that. I think it's perfectly fine to have a requirement that the player uses the gamepad for these types of things. It's especially helpful for typing because doing that with a Wiimote was stupid.

IIMO the best way to surf the web from a TV is via a Wii remote and a USB keyboard. The gamepad makes TV surfing pointless. I might as well only look at the gamepad. Also, just because I think Nintendo should support multiple controllers in the menu, I'm not saying at the same time. If you turn on a Wii U without a synced gamepad, the other controller defaults as player 1. All I'm saying is that player 1, no matter which controller type she/he used should always have full control of the system menu.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3 confused me, why on earth would you even want to use SD/RCA cables on the Wii U, seeing as it's an HD console? Games would look horrific.
Is not a matter of a want as much as it's a matter of having a fail safe. Every TV is different when it comes to video settings. A "default to SD" option would allow people to make sure their console is not broken when all other video settings fail.

SuperSVGA

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think a fail-safe is needed on #3, because you always have the gamepad to change the settings. The PS3 didn't auto detect connections either, you had to hold the power button to reset if you changed.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
With the exception of number 3, those issues seem really minor in the grand scheme of things. I can understand if you move your Wii U to another room/TV setup and you need to switch video modes beforehand, that's annoying.

Netflix has worse problems on the Wii U than not supporting profiles. It's half-assed and a little bit pathetic: the search function doesn't even work properly.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
7. A lack of games.
(someone had to do it :ha:)
But yeah, considering you can always use the gamepad if the TV output doesn't work and change video settings with that the failsafe thing doesn't really seem like an issue.

TehCupcakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1-4: These are software complaints, not hardware. Just wanted to clarify that. Nintendo could very easily fix these. I'll agree that the internet thing does bother me a bit, and it took me a while to figure out why my video output on an SD tv wasn't working. (Didn't know there was a setting.) However, these are all really minor gripes. It would be a lot more constructive to submit this to Nintendo instead of posting here.
5: Doesn't bother me. Wii U is designed for the gamepad. It's honestly much easier to control with the gamepad, so I don't even know why you would want to use a wiimote for the eshop.
6: Not Nintendo's fault; blame Netflix. They took a while to update the Windows 8 app with profiles as well, and I expect that simply had higher priority than console apps. I'm sure it will come eventually, although it is taking an awfully long time.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
Lack of proper support for other controllers than gamepad is really bad indeed when you have X number of differend controllers available your console - especially with wiimote where you basically have pointer which could easily emulate gamepads touchscreen.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Here's my list (off the top of my mind):

1. (Hardware related) Inability to charge Wii U Pro Controller connected to the Wii U when console is shut down. Seriously? Just like on the PS3, it really bugged me that I either had to keep the console on to charge my controllers. Right now I connect my Wii U Pro Controller to a PC or even use a wall socket adapter (e.g. the one that came with my phone).

2. (Hardware related) External power brick. One thing that I really liked about my PS3 was the internal power supply. No need for an external power brick. Currently my Wii U is a serious offender as it has two, not one, but two big and ugly external power bricks connected to it (one for the console itself and the other for the charging cradle, why they couldn't make the cradle connect to the console itself without its own external power brick is beyond me).

3. (Software related) Let me change my profile on the fly. I play Pikmin 3 a lot, so does my sister. We both love the game, but given it doesn't support multiple saves, we use our separate Wii U profiles to play Pikmin 3 to have separate saves. So if I've been playing Pikmin 3 and my sister wants to pick up, she has to first go all the way back to the profile selection screen, wait for the Wii U menu to load and finally launch the game. This should be an option in the multitasking menu in my opinion, resetting into the game with the selected profile, skipping the selection screen, main menu, WaraWara Plaza, and all that stuff. Minor inconvenience, but would go a long way if implemented.

4. (Software related) Truly quick boot into Wii Mode. When I press B on the GamePad upon the system starting up, I don't understand why it has to first go through the profile selection on the Wii U side before entering Wii Mode. Also, why does it matter if I turn on the console without my TV on? Wii Mode is supported on the GamePad and there are times I just want to play a Wii game using the GamePad as my screen, why do I have to turn on the TV to achieve that? Likewise, if I'm already in the Wii U menu, why can't Wii Mode be launched without having to point a Wii Remote at the TV? I mainly play fighting games and use the Classic Controller to navigate the Wii menu and play the games. Apart from having the Wii Remote hanging at the end of the Classic Controller, I really don't see why it's required in this situation. Again, a minor inconvenience, but one that if fixed would help the overall experience a lot.

5. (Software/hardware related) Make the Wii U Pro Controller compatible with Wii software. It's essentially a Classic Controller with rumble and a built-in battery, without needing to tether to a Wii Remote. Make it map itself as a Classic Controller. If homebrew like Devolution can use it, why can't Nintendo's official software? On a related note, I'm tired of having the Wii U Pro Controller as the only truly wireless controller option for the Wii U. When 3rd parties are allowed to make Nintendo licensed wireless controllers that don't tether to a Wii Remote, count me in.

6. (Software/hardware related) Add support for USB controllers. Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One and PS4 all support USB controllers such as arcade sticks. This would be cool and may actually help create a market for fighting games for the Wii U. Yes, we'll have Super Smash Bros., but apart from Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Injustice, there really are no other fighting games. It also doesn't help that there's next to zero proper controller options for such games for the Wii U. It's why Mad Catz, Hori, etc. don't even bother with the Wii U to begin with.

7. (Policy related) Take out region locking. One thing I liked about my PS3 was the ability to import a game if I wanted to. Reasons include specific games not available in my region (e.g. Taiko no Tatsujin), games with content tailored to a different region (e.g. Just Dance series in Japan vs. Just Dance series in the West), games that skipped a specific region despite being released elsewhere (e.g. Milestone Shooting Collection not available in Europe, Another Code: R not available in USA), special/limited editions exclusive to a region (e.g. retail disc version of DuckTales: Remastered only in USA), earlier launch in another region (e.g. One Piece: Unlimited World Red in Japan a month before USA). I have many examples to point out and that's before taking into account people who move between regions or travel often. I understand it's not as easy as flipping a switch, but if others can do it, why not Nintendo? Let me decide what I do with my console. I'm in the minority, but I'm sure a region free Wii U would increase sales a bit, if only for the few Kamen fans in the West who want to play Battride War on their existing console without buying a separate one from Japan! (Myself included! :))

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Private messaging! The only way to message a person through Wii U is using Miiverse but to do that, I think they need to accept the friend request and then you can exchange messages.

PM'ing on Xbox 360 is such a nice smooth breeze compared to a console that's part of the 8th gen.

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is what I think:

- Get rid of the power brick. Not all systems have power bricks. PS3 doesn't.

- Allow gamepad to be charged using USB. (power brick for the gamepad, really? so two power bricks in all? It's like the Sega 32X of current gen)

- Get rid of the Club Nintendo account or just merge it with NNID.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Here is what I think:

- Get rid of the power brick. Not all systems have power bricks. PS3 doesn't.

- Allow gamepad to be charged using USB. (power brick for the gamepad, really? so two power bricks in all? It's like the Sega 32X of current gen)

- Get rid of the Club Nintendo account or just merge it with NNID.

Saying "PS3 doesn't have a power brick" doesn't magically make it the default, if a game company sees whichever method is better then they'll use that one for their advantage. Xbox 360 had some big ass power bricks but do I care? No.

The power bricks don't really bug me at all as the connector is a normal one, unlike the Sega Mega CD and such.

mutinize

dazed and confused
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The lack of proper Wii Remote support
This. This is what annoys the hell out of me. I understand that the console is meant to be used with the gamepad. Personally, I like how they've stuck to their guns and reiterated that it's a fundamental part of the Wii U and not some gimmick accessory. However, I use the pro controller in every game that allows it. Why am I locked out of settings? The eShop? The browser? Then I have to get up and find the damn thing. Nintendo asks too much of me sometimes.

I also wish pressing the power button on the gamepad turned off the screen. My battery loves to drain when I watch netflix.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: Chuck your brain out the window, it's useless, use your head instead