Gaming List of Japanese games the English can play

ds6220

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I got my G6 Lite recently and one of the great things about flash carts is the ability to try out games you never would without one. The world (well, the DS world and possibly GBA world) opens itself up to experimenting with Japanese release games that do not see the light of day here so what I did was try to find every Japanese game that was playable to someone like myself with no real working knowledge of the Japanese (or Chinese if there is one in the mix). I know there have been similar threads to this (I did do the search) but there has not been a real list. I just finished going through all of the games and the following are games that are playable and, to a certain degree, enjoyable. Some are way better than others, but that is really up to you if you like that type of game. All I am saying is that these are the ones you could play without a ton trouble. Realize that in a lot of the cases you will not really know what is actually going on but can still play it and draw your own conclusions. Oh, and some I have left off the list may actually be playable but if I had to sit for more than 3 or 4 minutes tapping the screen to get past a ton of dialogue then I gave up so feel free to make some suggestions.

0010 - Cool 104 Joker & Setline (just need to figure out the mechanics of the puzzle)
0010.jpg

0011 - Guru Guru Nagetto (side scroll puzzle involving a puffy thing)
0011.jpg

0036 - Daigasso! Band Brothers (rythem type play along game except you actually play the music.)
0036.jpg

0044 - Tennis no Ouji-Sama 2005 - Crystal Drive (may want to hunt down a FAQ for all the moves)
0044.jpg

0058 - Naruto - Saikyou Ninja Daikesshuu 3 (side scroller type game)
0058.jpg

0083 - Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan (why are you not playing this right now? you all probably know this one anyway)
0083.jpg

0104 - Mahjong Taikai (if you know how to play Mahjong, that is)
0104.jpg

0159 - Touch Game Party (a ton of mini games like darts and some table games.)
0159.jpg

0195 - Simple DS Series Vol. 2 - The Billiards (pool. you like pool?)
0195.jpg

0241 - Shanghai (classic puzzle game)
0241.jpg

0245 - Gundam Mahjong DS (again, if you know how to play Mahjong, you can do so with Gundam)
0246 - Dragon Ball Z: Bukuu Ressen (fighting game)
0246.jpg

0254 - Kyouryuu Taisen Dino Champ (like QIX or Gal Panic, but with dino bones)
0254.jpg

0257 - Simple DS Series Vol. 4 - The Block Kuzushi (breakout type game with bosses)
0257.jpg

0266 - Futari ha Pretty Cure: Max Heart ~ Danzen! DS De Pretty Cure Chikara wo Awasete Dai-Battle!
(this is like Streets of Rage after it swallowed a puppy. a pastel puppy)
0266.jpg

0274 - Onegai My Melody - Yume no Kuni no Daibouken (uber cute and I can't seem to get past the first level)
0274.jpg

0277 - Appare! Shogi Jiisan - Washi to Shoubu Ja (it is a Japanese version of chess.)
0282 - Zettai Zetumei Dangerous Jiisan DS - Dangerous Sensation (wow. this one is odd. Love it)
0286 - Puyo Puyo Fever 2 (puzzle game. should be well known)
0289 - Mawashite Koron (puzzle game. kind of fun)
0290 - Table Game Spirits (various games)
0282 - Bleach DS Souten ni Kakeru Unmei (well known fighter)
0293 - Eigo ga Nigate na Otona no DS Training: Eigo Zuke (english writing that I got an F on my first try. Damn)
0295 - Danshaku (mostly is in english)
0299 - Croket! DS - Tenkuu no Yuushatachi (Strat game. some trial and error is involved)
0301 - Eyeshield 21 - Max Devil Power! (another one everyone should know about)
0302 - Kero Kero 7 (fun puzzle type platformer. some of the quiz parts can be tough in Japanese but very playable)
0305 - Unou no Tatsujin - Soukai! Machigai Museum (another brain training game that is a bit different from the big 2)
0310 - Minna no Mahjong DS (I really hesitate to put Mahjong on this list but they are playable and not hard to learn)
0315 - Nihon Pro Mahjong Kishikai Kanshuu Pro Ni Naru - Mahjong DS (again with the Mahjong)
0326 - Touch Dictionary (fun but really no point and can't do much)
0334 - Itsu Demo Doko Demo Dekiru Igo (a classic board game that I am not really sure how to play but should be playable)
0335 - Itsu Demo Doko Demo Dekiru Shogi (that chinese chess game thing. learn the rules and it is playable)
0361 - Pokemon Ranger (I debated with myself about this one as I played for about a half hour. you can do this just by process of elimination. I may be dead wrong on this, but it was kind of fun so I am keeping it on the list)
0363 - Puzzle Series Vol 3: Sudoku (it is sudoku. I have no idea how to play it but it is all over the US so I say playable)
0364 - Puzzle Series Volume 1 Jigsaw Puzzle (Guilty pleasure. I like it)
0372 - Minna de Wai Wai Kokoto Kart (I think I read that there is an english release of this and if so this does not belong here but I am not sure what the english release is so here it is. Feel free to enlighten me. Maybe I would know if I didn't take all the time and play theses damn Japanese releases.)
0383 - Kanbayashi Shiki Nouryoku Kaihatsuhou Unou Kid (another brain train type game but a little more fun than some.)
0387 - San X Land Theme Park de Asobou (a super cute mario party type game.)
0401 - Densetsu no Stafi 4 (everyone should play this series and it is a shame there has never been a US release)
0409 - Soroeru Puzzle Douwa Oukoku (Playable puzzle type game)
0416 - Naruto Saikyo Ninja Daikesshu 4 (another side scrolling beat up game. playable)
0418 - Ore No Sentoki (seems to be a flight sim or even combat. not my thing but may be worth a diversion)
0419 - Tabi no Yubisashi Kaiwachou DS America (WOuld be way better the other way around but still kind of neat)
0423 - Ochaken no Heya DS (Like another version of nintendogs but with more mini games)
0448 - Mawashite Tsunageru Touch Panic (sliding panel puzzle game.)
0464 - Kaitou Rousseau (this is another of those games everyone should check out. there really isn't anything else like this yet. can get a bit tedious with all the dialog at times though, but this is cool)
0486 - Kodomo no Tame no Yomi Kikase: Ehon de Asobou 1 (this is really just for kids. Stories read in english oddly enough.)
0487 - Kodomo no Tame no Yomi Kikase: Ehon de Asobou 2 (more of the same)
0488 - Kodomo no Tame no Yomi Kikase: Ehon de Asobou 3 (you guessed it)
0489 - Milon no Hoshizora Shabon: Puzzle Kumikyoku (fun puzzle game)
0498 - Touch! Bomberman Land (this is somewhat playable, but may be worth waiting for the US release)
0503 - Mawasunda!! (Crazy fun.)
0519 - Jissen Pachi-Slot Hisshouhou! Hokuto no (the slot part is lame but the mini games are kinda fun)

Ok, that should do it for now. If there is a game you think is easily playable by the Japanese ignorant like me, let us know what it is and why you think it is playable. Also, all of these I have tried with the G6 Lite and have spent about 15-20 minutes on each game so there may come a point on some of these that the language barrier may be insurmountable. (Like the quiz parts on the original Wario Ware that you don't get to till much later in the game)
unsure.gif

Blebleman

GBAtemp Old-Timer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Kaitou Rousseau gets puzzle-y on your non-japanese-speaking asses,btw.

I definitly recommend you guys try it, but some puzzles, you really need to read to figure out (that, or time).

Nice list though.

I share the same reason for buying a flash kit. I discovered a whole world of games I would never have access to with my F2A, and decided to do the same with my DS. Great idea.

And for those who do speak mediocre japanese (Otakus need not apply), you NEED "Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten".

Eng-> Jap dictionnary which can be somewhat used as Jap->Eng.

Kanji dictionnary included! ^^

pubjoe

Trophies
XP
Country
Great idea.

Thanks for sharing your time to try these out and posting this. Will be sure to look at some of these.

...And your right about playing games you never otherwise would, one of the things I love about mame is playing the mad japanese games on it.

ds6220

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I definitly recommend you guys try it, but some puzzles, you really need to read to figure out (that, or time).
Right, I have that on the list and love the game but I only played the forst part where you sneek into the room. after that you are in school and there is a lot of text so I quit there. does it get playable again? I hope so. that is on my card still.
wink.gif

Blebleman

GBAtemp Old-Timer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Right, I have that on the list and love the game but I only played the forst part where you sneek into the room. after that you are in school and there is a lot of text so I quit there. does it get playable again? I hope so. that is on my card still.
wink.gif

Yeah, it's usually very playable, but there are parts where you have a certain number of tries to pick the right camoflage, or else it's GAME OVER.

Hints are in RisingSun-ese.

karamu

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
And for those who do speak mediocre japanese (Otakus need not apply), you NEED "Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten".

Eng-> Jap dictionnary which can be somewhat used as Jap->Eng.

Kanji dictionnary included! ^^
hahaha love the otaku bit. this is one im looking forward to getting very much (not getting ds until i leave for japan as going away present from friends). the kanji feature is gold, since my kanji is not so good.. haha

x_comp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
All foreign games are playable really. It just depends on how much "trial and error" you're willing to go through. I went through a lot of that long ago when I didn't know Japanese and I still had fun imagining what the characters were saying
wink.gif

If you get really stuck in a game, you can always go check GameFAQs.com for a guide.

I have a scripted one for Kaitou Rousseau on my blog, here. If you think scripted guides spoil the fun, you could try thinking about what you have to do next before looking at the answer or, just read the script parts and figure out what do yourself.

forkyfork

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is a fantastic list. I think it would be worth it to expand this list into something with more detail (screenshots, minor translations).

This is a good starting point, though.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey thanks for bumpin' this forkyfork.. I missed it the first time around.
Thanks ds6220 for an awesome list that I'll be poring over all night.
..and while I'm thanking, and on the topic...
x_comp, your posts have pulled me out of a translation jam more than once.

..and I'd like to thank Jesus for helping me win the superbowl...
wait, that wasn't me....

ds6220

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow, was I surprised to see this again. I have been playing a lot of Dead Rising so I guess this coming back should be no big surprise. Any way, I really should get rid of some of the games on the list as there have been releases since that negate some of the entries. Someone recommended screenies and better descriptions and that is not a bad idea at all. I guess I could search out the net for the screen shots but I wish there was an easy way to just make my own. DS emulators are not reliable enough and my camera skills really suck. I wish there was a way to do screen shots with a G6, maybe some bit of homebrew? No idea, but I guess I can work on improving this list. Glad to see it has not gone to waste.
grog.gif

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
wow, was I surprised to see this again. I have been playing a lot of Dead Rising so I guess this coming back should be no big surprise. Any way, I really should get rid of some of the games on the list as there have been releases since that negate some of the entries. Someone recommended screenies and better descriptions and that is not a bad idea at all. I guess I could search out the net for the screen shots but I wish there was an easy way to just make my own. DS emulators are not reliable enough and my camera skills really suck. I wish there was a way to do screen shots with a G6, maybe some bit of homebrew? No idea, but I guess I can work on improving this list. Glad to see it has not gone to waste.
grog.gif

Hmmm, I'm gonna help out with the games I'm familiar with. We can make this a community effort you know.
*pokes others*

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: ¡¡¡ tttoN