OP
Trophies
Website
toxsic.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi Guys
is there any list of what games have mandatory firmware updates ?
I know mario 3d land has one and i know animal crossing has one as well

but is there any where to find out if other games also have these mandatory updates on the cart ?

Im looking at mario tennis if anyone can help ?

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
All games have mandatory update. If the version number on your 3DS is a mismatched to version number on a 3DS game it'll ask for an update.

GoldenSun3DS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mario Tennis Open came out on May 20th, 2012, meaning the required firmware is 4.1.0-8 or lower. That's the best I can do.
Sources: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Tennis_Open & http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS_system_software#4.1.0-8

What if on newer production runs they load new firmware on them?
For example, let's say Pokemon X came out on 10-12-2013 when firmware 6.1 was out. Firmware 7.0 comes out 5 months later on March 12, 2013. All Pokemon X games made after March 12, 2014 would now come with 7.0.
Is there any chance they do something like that?

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if on newer production runs they load new firmware on them?
For example, let's say Pokemon X came out on 10-12-2013 when firmware 6.1 was out. Firmware 7.0 comes out 5 months later on March 12, 2013. All Pokemon X games made after March 12, 2014 would now come with 7.0.
Is there any chance they do something like that?
Is it possible? I suppose, but I can't think of any reason why they would need to do so, unless they edited the game.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
I kinda afraid of buying a 3DS because of this "mandatory update"... were I live there is ultimately NO consol compatible/open wi-fi withing a radius of 100km...

The "mandatory update" is only required if you want to use the eShop or certain first party title's online features like Mario Kart, etc.

And depending on what game cart your buying, it might have an update to a specific firmware. Other than that it is no different that that of a PS3 online features use requirements and the PS3 or Wii games you buy.

Chocolina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The beauty of mandatory updates is that anyone that bought a 3DS and refuse to update because they're scared of having to go back and update their flashcarts, end up of having to miss out on eshop games, free demos, nintendo direct, and many games that are popular on the system.

reaper527

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kinda afraid of buying a 3DS because of this "mandatory update"... were I live there is ultimately NO consol compatible/open wi-fi withing a radius of 100km...

doesn't matter. any game that has a mandatory update to a given firmware has that firmware on the cart.

and on the op's question, all games have mandatory firmware updates. just look for a list of 3ds games and that is your list of games that require mandatory updates (aside from a select handful of launch titles)

Tattorack

Interstellar Explorer
Trophies
Website
tattorack.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Denmark
The "mandatory update" is only required if you want to use the eShop or certain first party title's online features like Mario Kart, etc.

And depending on what game cart your buying, it might have an update to a specific firmware. Other than that it is no different that that of a PS3 online features use requirements and the PS3 or Wii games you buy.
doesn't matter. any game that has a mandatory update to a given firmware has that firmware on the cart.

and on the op's question, all games have mandatory firmware updates. just look for a list of 3ds games and that is your list of games that require mandatory updates (aside from a select handful of launch titles)

Ah right, thats a breath of fresh air ^^;

The beauty of mandatory updates is that anyone that bought a 3DS and refuse to update because they're scared of having to go back and update their flashcarts, end up of having to miss out on eshop games, free demos, nintendo direct, and many games that are popular on the system.

Well the e-shop features, demo's and all the extra e-jazz stuff I'll have to do without to begin with, so it doesn't really bother me to get "blocked out".

Reactions: Metoroid0

GalatasarayEken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
anyone got a list of firmware according to games like

Mario and Luigi Dream Team (5.x) etc..

I just want to see which type of games I can play 4.2 and below

I have a 4.2 firmware so I can't play games that are over 4.2 firmware required from what I understand, if I want to play 4.2 firmware + what would I need to do beside updating my console to 6.x +

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Thanks, but do you know if there would be anyway a 4.2U would be able to play 4.5 firmware games?

Gateway have a Firmware Spoofer, once that is out should be able to do so

you can still update to 4.5.0 with a game like Luigi's mansion and the hack is still safe

Reactions: Margen67 and tbgtbg

GalatasarayEken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If gateway 3DS makes the firmware spoofer would that mean that a 4.5U game can be played on a 4.2U device? I really want to play Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
If gateway 3DS makes the firmware spoofer would that mean that a 4.5U game can be played on a 4.2U device? I really want to play Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity

yes that is how it should work, even tho the best option would be just to upgrade to 4.5

until they release the beta to testers we cant confirm but indeed it should work like that

GalatasarayEken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yes that is how it should work, even tho the best option would be just to upgrade to 4.5

until they release the beta to testers we cant confirm but indeed it should work like that

I want to get to 4.5 as well but if I'm on 4.2U and try to do a system update wouldn't that make me download the latest firmware? I don't think I can upgrade to 4.5U

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: "Impossible he memorized every book on the planet..."