Hacking List of games with Japanese language (if you have a Japanese system please read!)

DarkKaine

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you're like me and bought a N3DS last year fearing the US/EU release might have 9.3 or above, you will notice that not all games are in English despite installing the US/PAL versions of games.
This is because the games use the system language, and because our emuNAND is in Japanese, Japanese text will be displayed regardless.
So I decided to make a list of games that display English, Japanese and games that can be set to English with instructions.

Games that work fine and have English by default
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
  • Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
  • Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl
  • Fantasy Life
  • Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance
  • Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
  • Mario Kart 7
  • Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
  • Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
  • Super Mario 3D Land
  • Super Smash Bros
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
  • Theatrythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
Games that are Japanese by default, but language can be changed to English
  • Ace Attorney Trilogy - The title screen has a big button in the middle, tap it to switch between EN/JP.
  • Bravely Default - Create a save file, hit start, bottom option, bottom option again, middle option, then select the second option and press B and save to update changes.
  • Pokemon OR/AS - Boot the game, then select the second option (英語) to set the game to English. If you have previously created a save file before press Up + B + X at the title screen to delete it so the language selection pops up again. Warning: you will lose all your progress.
  • Pokemon X/Y - Boot the game, then select the second option (英語) to set the game to English. If you have previously created a save file before press Up + B + X at the title screen to delete it so the language selection pops up again. Warning: you will lose all your progress.
  • Resident Evil Revelations - Create a save file, then select the bottom tab (Options), 4th tab (Language), then toggle English/Japanese with the D-pad.
Games that are in Japanese and have no option to change the language aka tough luck/you're screwed
  • Kirby: Triple Deluxe (or not? 1 report from a user that has it running with English text)
  • Luigi's Mansion 2
  • Mario Tennis Open
  • Yoshi's New Island
I hope this helps some people.
Hopefully Gateway releases a method to boot the system menu with a different language else all the games that are entirely in Japanese will all need patches. In the meantime we just have to work with what we got.

~Kaine

Blebleman

GBAtemp Old-Timer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you're like me and bought a N3DS last year fearing the US/EU release might have 9.3 or above, you will notice that not all games are in English despite installing the US/PAL versions of games.
This is because the games use the system language, and because our emuNAND is in Japanese, Japanese text will be displayed regardless.
So I decided to make a list of games that display English, Japanese and games that can be set to English with instructions.

Games that work fine and have English by default
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
  • Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
  • Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl
  • Fantasy Life
  • Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance
  • Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
  • Mario Kart 7
  • Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
  • Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
  • Super Mario 3D Land
  • Super Smash Bros
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
  • Theatrythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
Games that are Japanese by default, but language can be changed to English

• Ace Attorney Trilogy - The title screen has a big button in the middle, tap it to switch between EN/JP.
  • Bravely Default - Create a save file, hit start, bottom option, bottom option again, middle option, then select the second option and press B and save to update changes.
  • Pokemon OR/AS - Boot the game, then select the second option (英語) to set the game to English. If you have previously created a save file before press Up + B + X at the title screen to delete it so the language selection pops up again. Warning: you will lose all your progress.
  • Pokemon X/Y - Boot the game, then select the second option (英語) to set the game to English. If you have previously created a save file before press Up + B + X at the title screen to delete it so the language selection pops up again. Warning: you will lose all your progress.
  • Resident Evil Revelations - Create a save file, then select the bottom tab (Options), 4th tab (Language), then toggle English/Japanese with the D-pad.
Games that are in Japanese and have no option to change the language aka tough luck/you're screwed

• Kirby: Triple Deluxe
  • Luigi's Mansion 2
  • Yoshi's New Island
I hope this helps some people.

Hopefully Gateway releases a method to boot the system menu with a different language else all the games that are entirely in Japanese will all need patches. In the meantime we just have to work with what we got.

~Kaine

It's very nice of you to do this for people, but the entire list of releases at http://3ds.essh.co/ shows the languages for each game.

SPOILER : THERE AREN'T THAT MANY JP+ENG GAMES.

Reactions: DarkKaine

DarkKaine

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's very nice of you to do this for people, but the entire list of releases at http://3ds.essh.co/ shows the languages for each game.

SPOILER : THERE AREN'T THAT MANY JP+ENG GAMES.

Indeed, but the problem here is that despite Kirby having several language options, there's no way to actually select them. It runs using the system language, so even tho you have a PAL release of kirby, playing it on a Japanese system will always force the game language to Japanese and sadly there's nothing you can do about it as you can't change the system menu language on Japanese consoles :(

Blebleman

GBAtemp Old-Timer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Indeed, but the problem here is that despite Kirby having several language options, there's no way to actually select them. It runs using the system language, so even tho you have a PAL release of kirby, playing it on a Japanese system will always force the game language to Japanese and sadly there's nothing you can do about it as you can't change the system menu language on Japanese consoles :(

The EUR release of Kirby is in English on my Japanese 3DS...

dustmite

Stays Frosty
Trophies
XP
Country
Luxembourg
So far I had no JAP language in any game. But - the game picture on the upper screen
in the home menu is in japanese, and the text input always starts in japanese.
Need to switch it to ENG then.

Draco Forge

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Guys, I know this is a totally old blog and all, but what do you mean by "Install"? That's not buying a game is it? Sorry, Just bought a Japanese 3DS today, and was kinda dishearten when I tried looking for a US version of EOU1 in the e shop

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended