OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Active Emulators:
iDeaS - (Current Version 1.0.3.7 Beta 2 - 09/25/2010) - This emulator features great compatibility, EEPROM, 3D, sound, and controller support along with robust debugging functionality
DeSmuME - (Current Version 0.9.6 - 05/19/2010) - Excellent compatibility, sound emulation, backup memory emulation, great speed, and more

Discontinued Emulators:
NeonDS - (Current Version 0.2.1 - 07/13/2008) - Speed is pretty good and the emulator features backup memory emulation and numerous graphics features including 3D but no sound, BIOS no longer needed
NO$GBA - (Current Version 2.6a* - 01/23/2008) - Compatibility and speed are excellent as is the 3D support and sound support, newest version requires a mandatory $2.50 "donation"
Dualis - (Current Version R20.4 - 05/27/2007) - Runs demos and E3 demos but does not run any final commercial games at all according to the site, first to attempt sound emulation
DSEmu - (Current Version 0.4.10 - 01/15/2006) - Doesn't run any commercial games but handles most of the demos very well, one of the veterans of the DS emulator group, however, it's assumed discontinued

* - Version 2.6a is only available with a $2.50 PayPal donation, otherwise, 2.6 is the latest version available for free

Illegal Emulators:
Ensata - (Current Available Version 1.4d - 07/11/2006) - Written by Nintendo, this does not run final versions of any ROMS, but may eventually with a patch

No Longer Available to Download:
Shash's DeSmuME Build - (Current Version 0.8.0b1 - 04/29/2008) - Recent CVS builds direct from DeSmuME's SourceForge CVS, see site for further details
DeSmuME Mod - (Current Version 0.7.3 Mod 3 - 05/27/2008) - This build adds joystick support, very minor compatibility increases, wireframe mode, and new GUI with vertical resizing
AMPonzi's DeSmuME Build - (Current Version Pre-0.7.1 WIP 070528 - 05/28/2007) - Recent CVS builds direct from DeSmuME's SourceForge CVS, read directions on the site
NDS's NDeSmuME Build - (Current Version 0.5.0 - 03/01/2007) - This build's primary concern is adding compatibility and speed
Huntercool's Optimized Build - (Current Version 0.3.3 - 07/04/2006) - This build optimized version 0.3.3 of the emulator, changes in compatibility are unknown
Maxhoov's NeeDS Build - (Current Version 0.0.1 - 06/20/2006) - This build is all in Chinese and adds speed and compatibility as well
GoodNDS - (Current Version 0.0.4 - 09/29/2006) - This build is in the process of adding 2x and FastForward modes for video along with adding speed

Tools:
eNDryptS Advanced - (Current Version 1.2 - 09/03/2006) - Has the ability to encrypt and decrypt a directory of ROMs
NDSTool - (Current Version 1.31 - 08/08/2006) - Has the power to do encrypt/decrypt and perform other tasks on ROMs

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
You forgot Ensata
wink.gif

AMPonzi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
UPDATES:

DeSmuME has updated with a WIP version, this one actually plays the entire Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow intro movie. It still crashes at the main menu so this game isn't really playable. Many other games boot now that didn't before, Bomberman actually goes fully in game with few glitches but then when you actually enter a stage the top screen screws up. Mario 64 DS boots, but freezes immediately. Polarium is near perfect if not fully perfect. Other than that, check it out.

NO$GBA had an update, I'm calling it 2.2a because it was more or less a crashfix update. This allows ROM files to actually run and doesn't have them crash instantaneously upon loading.

Dirtie

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
QUOTE said:
NO$GBA had an update, I'm calling it 2.2a because it was more or less a crashfix update. This allows ROM files to actually run and doesn't have them crash instantaneously upon loading.
The update is only for the debug version. The emulator (well the freeware one at least) still requires you to dump your own BIOS files - I wonder if anyone has actually been able to test it properly yet?

kernelPANIC

Trophies
Website
www.kanjiswipe.com
XP
Country
Japan
Yopyop has just released a new version of the DeSmuME emulator. Although it's 0.0.3 (the version number might be changed) some graphical changes have been made. I tried playing Drill Spirits (E) and it's even playable!!

Be sure to check his site and drop by the forums to report bugs or just leave a "thank you". I'm sure all support and constructive criticism would be appreciated.
http://yopyop156.ifrance.com/

Edit: Games I've tested:
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney (U): Seems to work smoother than the previous version, although the lower screen data seems to be missing (important to play). You can now see the "Evidence" and "Back" message box that didn't show last time.
Trauma Center (U): Loads nicely, but I can't get pass the part where I think you are supposed to save your game.
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! (J): It loads better than with the previous version, but can't get passed the Start screen.
Jump Super Stars (J): In the previous version it would only load a couple of images of the intro, then freeze. In this version it doesn't even get to that part
tongue.gif

I invite you to check more games for yourselves. Warning though. Colors are inverted. You can see the colors in their original form by clicking on the emulator options while running the games. The developer has been warned though.

Dirtie

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Wow, a whole bunch of games play as well, and the touchscreen emulation is great - first one I've tried that actually works properly. Now we just need sound
biggrin.gif

Polarium is fully playable.
The Meteos E3 demo doesn't display the blocks so it is unplayable, but good otherwise.
Trauma Center looks pretty much perfect but freezes at the part where it should ask if you want to save as stated above.
Table Hockey E3 demo is playable, with just a couple of minor graphical glitches.
Zelda Gallery is perfect as usual.
Submarine demo loads title screen, but nothing appears on bottom one.
Electroplankton strobes
tongue.gif

Viewtiful Joe actually boots, and as far as I can tell, gets ingame, but graphics are extremely messed up, and ingame all you see is messed up HUD graphics, nothing else (as is expected).

AMPonzi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
UPDATES:

Dualis Release 13 is out but still doesn't run NDS ROM files, most notable are THUMB optimizations and other fixes.

DeSmuME has a new WIP, this one has a new Windows icon and sports new features including support for new modes and new tools. It's 0.0.3 WIP 2, I guess.

DeSmuME basic runthrough -

Super Mario 64 DS Boots but can't continue past "Touch the Picture!"
Mario and Luigi Partners in Time graphics are near perfect but still crashes at first battle
Polarium is still near perfect
Sonic Rush boots but crashes at title screen
Pokemon Dash shows SOME life but crashes immediately
Metroid Prime Hunters shows an error and doesn't get past it
Castlevania has no further progress, but actually regressed slightly (video doesn't show)
Bomberman DS goes in game near perfect graphics
Nintendogs does something really quick like a quick flicker and then crashes immediately

All of those are US ROMS by the way... wow this emulator is looking really good. On my AMD 2600 Bomberman ran at 32 FPS and M&L-PiT at around the same. This emulator is officially the leader of the pack!

krustydemon9

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kernelPANIC if you press no when it comes to save you you can kepp goin but when it comes time for the first mission it just goes to the end results and just stays there

i was just thinkin that this place should jet be left for update news and not rom tests dont you all think so just to keep it more readable in the future
biggrin.gif

AMPonzi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well I always update the first post whenever there's an update so people can go right there. But if you want, maybe we can sticky this topic, erase all the irrelevant posts, and you guys can talk about the individual emulators in other topics. But I'd like to keep this topic because I actually use it for easy access to all the emu sites.

UPDATE: Dualis R13.1 released with minor changes, I also added release dates of the most recent versions to the first post for reference purposes. If anyone can provide me a date for VGBA 3.0r that would be a big help.

AMPonzi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why don't we stick with graphics and compatibility first? Or better yet, let the emu authors do whatever they want, after all, you're not paying for it. Except in VGBA's case, annoy him to no end to do the features you want.

_ORiON_

Trophies
Website
loerion.googlepages.com
XP
Country
Why don't we stick with graphics and compatibility first? Or better yet, let the emu authors do whatever they want, after all, you're not paying for it. Except in VGBA's case, annoy him to no end to do the features you want.

Oh, fine i was just suggesting. no grave offense about that. on the other hand, as this is not a sticky topic, i think we could also do our own updating to help you, or are we stealing the honor?

krustydemon9

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dualis r13.2

GPU: Fixed rendering of rotoscaled 1D bitmap sprites
GPU: Added support for the master char/screen offset setting (text BGs)
GUI: Map viewer and OAM viewer now support extended palettes
GUI: Map viewer now supports tile flipping
GUI: Map viewer now supports viewing of VRAM banks in LCDC mode
GUI: Fixed rendering of 16-color OBJs with palette number >=8 in the OAM viewer
GUI: Fixed rendering of 1D bitmap OBJs in the OAM viewer

Dualis

Dirtie

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
And if you're a mod, it may be a good idea to modify the topic title (no offense AMPonzi) just so it's more clear what it is about.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself