Hacking List of all Gateway questions (9.2.0-20)

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
Why shouldn't you put the 3DS to sleep while a game is running on the red card? I thought this was the only way to avoid redoing the gateway menu exploit every damn time you use your 3DS. I wish they would put this shit in the manual...
You don't need the red card to maintain emuNAND. Just to boot into emuNAND.

Reactions: Allied

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the help. Last question I can think of for now:

I've heard that going into the system menu in sysnand and/or emunand might be bad news... but I've not been able to find why this would be the case. Also, in the thread I was reading about it, there was some disagreement.
What happens when you enter data management on sysnand is all your unsigned content gets deleted off emunand. If the two nands are unlinked that does not occur. Probably were the disagreement comes from.

genericuser

Trophies
XP
Country
Why shouldn't you put the 3DS to sleep while a game is running on the red card? I thought this was the only way to avoid redoing the gateway menu exploit every damn time you use your 3DS. I wish they would put this shit in the manual...

I read that if you put the 3DS to sleep whilst a game is running off the red card it can overheat. You can avoid redoing the exploit by first exiting the game (which also writes the .SAV file) before putting the 3DS to sleep. The issue is leaving the game running whilst in sleep mode. Because leaving the game is inconvenient (as you can't always save whenever you want), I want to know if the blue card has the same issue. If not, then I can simply leave the game running and put the 3DS to sleep without reaching a checkpoint first.

You need to leave the red card in if you are running games off the micro SD card in the red card. I know emunand runs off the 3DS sd/micro sd card.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read that if you put the 3DS to sleep whilst a game is running off the red card it can overheat. You can avoid redoing the exploit by first exiting the game (which also writes the .SAV file) before putting the 3DS to sleep. The issue is leaving the game running whilst in sleep mode. Because leaving the game is inconvenient (as you can't always save whenever you want), I want to know if the blue card has the same issue. If not, then I can simply leave the game running and put the 3DS to sleep without reaching a checkpoint first.

You need to leave the red card in if you are running games off the micro SD card in the red card. I know emunand runs off the 3DS sd/micro sd card.

Another thing to consider is why this happens. When the system goes to sleep the gateway does not so even if you exit the game (good) the gateway will still draw power (bad). For relatvlynshort periods of time it is not a big deal but it is best to eject the GW over night or other long periods.

genericuser

Trophies
XP
Country
Another thing to consider is why this happens. When the system goes to sleep the gateway does not so even if you exit the game (good) the gateway will still draw power (bad). For relatvlynshort periods of time it is not a big deal but it is best to eject the GW over night or other long periods.

So it's not enough to exit the game? I should virtually eject the game as well, or physically eject the gateway cart?

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it's not enough to exit the game? I should virtually eject the game as well, or physically eject the gateway cart?
My kids leave the GW in sleep mode over night all the time and it has not caused problems except dead batteries in the morning they will learn. :)

If you leave it plugged in you should be fine. It all depends on how much charge you have. Best to eject the GW card but not crucial. It doesn't follow the same system commands as the 3ds hardware.

Allied

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Ah, that clears some stuff up for me, thanks. Makes sense, as I've read that the red card itself is basically just DRM to execute code that then resides already on the 3DS.

What happens when you enter data management on sysnand is all your unsigned content gets deleted off emunand. If the two nands are unlinked that does not occur. Probably were the disagreement comes from.

Thanks very much for the explanation!

My kids leave the GW in sleep mode over night all the time and it has not caused problems except dead batteries in the morning they will learn. :)

If you leave it plugged in you should be fine. It all depends on how much charge you have. Best to eject the GW card but not crucial. It doesn't follow the same system commands as the 3ds hardware.

So one just pops out the GW card after exiting the game, no other steps required?

Just trying to get everything in order in my head while my GW is on it's way to me (from Cyprus, apparently), so I don't screw anything up when it gets here.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, that clears some stuff up for me, thanks. Makes sense, as I've read that the red card itself is basically just DRM to execute code that then resides already on the 3DS.

Thanks very much for the explanation!

So one just pops out the GW card after exiting the game, no other steps required?

Just trying to get everything in order in my head while my GW is on it's way to me (from Cyprus, apparently), so I don't screw anything up when it gets here.

That's right.mmas long as you have exiting a game from the multi rom menu youncan pop it out. Even just disengage it from the cartridge spring will work.

Can I play retail cartridges in GW EmuNAND?
No that will not work. Play carts from classic mode. Technically you can play them from sysnand as long as the firmware supports it. Bad habit to get into because the cart could update your sysnand. Classic mode protects you.

tekwarfare

Trophies
XP
Country
No that will not work. Play carts from classic mode. Technically you can play them from sysnand as long as the firmware supports it. Bad habit to get into because the cart could update your sysnand. Classic mode protects you.

Is classic mode System NAND? What firmware will it be running?

What about dumping my cart and the gamesave and running them in GW mode?

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is classic mode System NAND? What firmware will it be running?

What about dumping my cart and the gamesave and running them in GW mode?
Classic mode is still emuand with its version of the FW. It just disables updates and GW version of encryption. That brings us to the second question and the answer is very complicated and nuanced. Do not attempt this until you understand it all, it will just frustrate you. Best place to start down this road is the save data mega guide at the top of this sub. There are ways to dump your cartridges but the gateway menu function only works with older games and under certain conditions.

Reactions: tekwarfare

genericuser

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks.

So classic mode will run cartridges? What firmware will it have?

Yes classic mode will run cartridges. It is still emunand so it will have the same firmware as emunand.

Do you know how to enter classic mode? Hold L after the grey screen appears to get the gateway menu, then select classic mode with the dpad and buttons.

Reactions: tekwarfare

tekwarfare

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes classic mode will run cartridges. It is still emunand so it will have the same firmware as emunand.

Do you know how to enter classic mode? Hold L after the grey screen appears to get the gateway menu, then select classic mode with the dpad and buttons.

Thanks.

I'm looking to get one, I do not currently have one.

I see that GW doesn't support firmware 9.6 yet, does that mean classic mode also only runs up to 9.5?

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks.

I'm looking to get one, I do not currently have one.

I see that GW doesn't support firmware 9.6 yet, does that mean classic mode also only runs up to 9.5?
Yes. Classic mode also supports FW spoofing. There are currently no games that require 9.5 or 9.6

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Yes it's just the game update 1.3 the it needs to go online.

As it is now, if you want to play online you'll need to dump your retail carts (pokemon are card2 so the save will be in the dump), rename them to .3DZ, and install any game updates as .cia for use in emunand (they won't work in classic mode).

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
As it is now, if you want to play online you'll need to dump your retail carts (pokemon are card2 so the save will be in the dump), rename them to .3DZ, and install any game updates as .cia for use in emunand (they won't work in classic mode).
Omg how did I not know this >.< I sold my Pokemon Y because I didn't think card2 saves could work, and just gave up completely on Pokemon. If I had my saves, I would have been more inclined to play the newer ones.

Ahh well, the damage is done I guess, but good to know :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: