Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't really know much about Linux, since I'm not a great fan of it. What I do know, is that there are some really stripped down windows XP on the internet, that will run perfectly with that specs.

If you do want linux, if I can remember right, there is one called Damn Small Linux or something right? Maybe you could try that.

QUOTE(http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/) said:
Damn Small is small enough and smart enough to do the following things:

* Boot from a business card CD as a live linux distribution (LiveCD)
* Boot from a USB pen drive
* Boot from within a host operating system (that's right, it can run *inside* Windows)
* Run very nicely from an IDE Compact Flash drive via a method we call "frugal install"
* Transform into a Debian OS with a traditional hard drive install
* Run light enough to power a 486DX with 16MB of Ram
* Run fully in RAM with as little as 128MB (you will be amazed at how fast your computer can be!)
* Modularly grow -- DSL is highly extendable without the need to customize

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Many Linux distro's can run on those specs (of course, don't expect a lot of eyecandy). I suggest you try a distribution like Kubuntu if you haven't used anything but Linux before, though I'm not sure if it'd work out well.

Otherwise, I'd suggest getting Ubuntu Netbook (yeah, Netbook, because it was made to run on low spec computers) or Linux Mint.

Also, after looking around on Google for a sec, I found this topic, so you should have a look at it.

zuron7

RBYG
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
Thoob said:
Damn Small would be a good bet for this machine. Or you could look for an older version of Ubuntu that will run on lower-spec hardware.
You mean something like xubuntu

QUOTEI don't really know much about Linux, since I'm not a great fan of it. What I do know, is that there are some really stripped down windows XP on the internet, that will run perfectly with that specs.

If you do want linux, if I can remember right, there is one called Damn Small Linux or something right? Maybe you could try that.

QUOTE(http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/)
Damn Small is small enough and smart enough to do the following things:

* Boot from a business card CD as a live linux distribution (LiveCD)
* Boot from a USB pen drive
* Boot from within a host operating system (that's right, it can run *inside* Windows)
* Run very nicely from an IDE Compact Flash drive via a method we call "frugal install"
* Transform into a Debian OS with a traditional hard drive install
* Run light enough to power a 486DX with 16MB of Ram
* Run fully in RAM with as little as 128MB (you will be amazed at how fast your computer can be!)
* Modularly grow -- DSL is highly extendable without the need to customize
Tried XP on it It's too slow.Especially booting

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It really depends on what you want to do.... you're going at this from the wrong perspective.

Also, it's more important to select the lean components for your use. Like xfce as light desktop environment in your case.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
FAST6191 said:
DSL is nice but it has not seen updates in quite some time. I instead suggest puppy linux: http://puppylinux.org/main/index.php?file=...g%20Started.htm which is also aimed/available for low spec use.
What he said. Puppy Linux is probably the best distro for computers with 256mb of RAM or less. If you plan on using wireless, make sure whatever you're using works with Linux (PCMCIA card or otherwise). That's probably the only issue you should have. Other than that, I say go for it. I run Puppy Linux on a computer with worse specs than that and it flies (considering how old it is).

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ellie said:
Many Linux distro's can run on those specs (of course, don't expect a lot of eyecandy). I suggest you try a distribution like Kubuntu if you haven't used anything but Linux before, though I'm not sure if it'd work out well.

Otherwise, I'd suggest getting Ubuntu Netbook (yeah, Netbook, because it was made to run on low spec computers) or Linux Mint.

Also, after looking around on Google for a sec, I found this topic, so you should have a look at it.
I really don't think Kubuntu would even run well on a computer like that.

I'd recommend Puppy or Antix.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
zuron7 said:
I got what I want and I burned the .iso image onto a disk and changed the boot sequence so that the cd boots first but no matter how many times I try it still goes back to Windows98.

Are you sure the iso image you burnt is a bootable image? If it isn't you'll have to either modify it to make it bootable before burning, or boot from a windows 98 startup floppy disk and install that way.

If all that doesn't work out I'd recommend trying Xubuntu.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Debian variants in general (which includes all Ubuntu variants) are relatively resource-intensive.

In addition to the multiple prior Puppy recommendations, Arch is a very lightweight, and full-featured distro. If you take the short amount of time to become familiar with the platform you can build a very efficient and effective machine.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Urza said:
Debian variants in general (which includes all Ubuntu variants) are relatively resource-intensive.

In addition to the multiple prior Puppy recommendations, Arch is a very lightweight, and full-featured distro. If you take the short amount of time to become familiar with the platform you can build a very efficient and effective machine.
Oh yes, how could we forget. Its quite daunting at first, but the documentation is tremendous. Its very satisfying having it setup and its a power users dream.

And to the guy who recommended AntiX, thanks. I'm looking it up now.

t^2

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm surprised Kubuntu works like magic on a low-spec computer, it's very resource-hogging.

If you ever find it too laggy or just want to speed things up, try Xubuntu. It's much lighter and requires pretty much the same know-how to configure as Kubuntu. XFCE > KDE on low spec computers.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
t^2 said:
I'm surprised Kubuntu works like magic on a low-spec computer, it's very resource-hogging.

If you ever find it too laggy or just want to speed things up, try Xubuntu. It's much lighter and requires pretty much the same know-how to configure as Kubuntu. XFCE > KDE on low spec computers.
I was surprised too. But, whatever works, I guess...

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Actually I would recommend Fedora LXDE Spin. Even Xubuntu is resource-hogging IMO.

Like others have said, very surprised that Kubuntu works "like a magic".

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Puppy Linux may work, it's pretty lightweight.
Xubuntu is a long shot, but may be able to work
Lubuntu (Ubuntu with LXDE Desktop Environment) may also be a good choice

Either way, I commend you for at least considering Linux, you've made this hell-raven smile inside.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I hate these DIY furniture kits so bad