DERP!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Right so here's the situation... I already have a softmodded 1.6 xbox with xbox media center on (had it done by a friend of a friend so to speak). Now what I really want to do is put linux on it and use it to d/l from usenet overnight so I don't have to have PC on anymore. So can anyone give me any any tips on how to install linux or whetever I need to do from within xboxmc? Oh and I heard only a few builds work with a 1.6 xbox so what build would you recommend?

Also the guy who put media center on partitioned my drive into loads of partitions >_> so is there any way to convert them back into just the 1 or 2 partitions.

Thanks in advance!

smile.gif

fischju_original

I used to be a jerk before i got banned
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.dpgdownloads.com
XP
Country
United States
I used gentoox, but you need a bigger HDD if you want to download anything, the installation will take almost all of the free space (around 4GB+) use XboxHDM to put a bigger HDD in, which you can do with a softmod (I've done it, and just about any IDE drive will work, I got a hard drive from a garage sale for $15 and it worked)

Darkforce

DERP!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I downloaded Xebian burned to a DVD+R and booted it from the XBMC dashboard. Followed the manual to install it to the HD but it seems to mess up after I choose where on the HD to install the OS... when I go to install Xebian it only gives me the choice of installing on the gamesave partition (E?), in the free space (on the C?) or one big clean install (like delete all partitions I guess). Point is I don't really want to do any of that 'cos I don't know what's already on the hard drive, but I tried installing it in both the savegame space and unused space anyway and nothing seemed to happen or be copying over to the HD? My only guess is that it could be the media as the drive is meant to be quite picky.

Anywho is there any way to manage my Xbox hard drive partitions i.e. view what's on them and delete/merge partitions either via my Xbox or even via my PC/ftp? At the moment it looks like this:

C: 143MB of 318MB Free
E: 4429MB of 4881MB Free
X: 749MB of 749MB Free
Y: 111MB of 749MB Free
Z: 747 of 749MB Free
Total: 7449MB, Used 1266MB, Free 6182MB.

>_>

pikachucrackpipe

President
Trophies
Website
live.xbox.com
XP
Country
United States
c is the system
e is the "cdrom" drive
also some programs like avalaunch will make a f and g if you have enough space to hold roms, movies, games, etc
x, y, z are the system "quick" cache

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure it didn't install a xbe file (an xbox executable)? Which would then appear as a program or game in the appropriate folder?

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I looked into this awhile ago myself. Would help you but the hard drive I was planning on using for this got toasted during the process with XboxHDM.
rofl2.gif

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean you'd like to see this happen? It already did. XBMC is a linux-based software that turns Xboxes into media centers.

Also, the xbe aren't just stored in the C. That's only for the main dashboard. Other xbe should be in their appropriate folder in the apps/games directory usually located in either E: or F:.

jimmy j

Awesome for hire.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.