Gaming linux distro

weirdfate

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have been wanting to go back to linux for a long time but the wife hates it because she cant do things on sites for her work with out IE.

I have tried running it with wine and it flashes all the time
i have tried firefox options to fake it to ie
i have downloaded opera and tried that and no luck

the only none ie browser that works is maxthon(its ie engin yes i know) im sure there has to be a port of this or atleast something that is not going to be to noticable to an ie user that i could put say linspire on my PC and she would not even know its linux??

this sucks because last time i tried with ubuntu she was pissed off for a good long time....

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I guess you could try kubuntu but as for IE usage I guess you could try to get IE to run in wine. Although you should have already have trained her that IE is a horrible browser and should never be used.. EVER. I had to train a couple of my EX'z in the past to not use IE unless updating. I also trained my mommy!!!

weirdfate

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Banger said:
I guess you could try kubuntu but as for IE usage I guess you could try to get IE to run in wine. Although you should have already have trained her that IE is a horrible browser and should never be used.. EVER. I had to train a couple of my EX'z in the past to not use IE unless updating. I also trained my mommy!!!

thats the thing that sucks is that thoes sites that she goes to only run with IE no other browser will run the sites and i had kubuntu before to

p.s i also tried to run in a VM and she hated that to

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah, dual-booting seems the way to go.

This way you can use Linux, and when your wife needs to go on the internets, you just reboot to win
smile.gif

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
uh, what sites are these?

I have never encountered a site that will not work in firefox.

if it does not work in firefox, then it probably doesn't follow proper internet standards....

Banger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I thought training was the way to go, but I guess dual booting is a decent alternative. Or another computer one for each of you, maybe she would like a nice laptop!

Edit) The only site I can think of that needs IE is windows update.

weirdfate

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Banger said:
I thought training was the way to go, but I guess dual booting is a decent alternative. Or another computer one for each of you, maybe she would like a nice laptop!

Edit) The only site I can think of that needs IE is windows update.

its her works email website they wrote it to only use IE because thats what all there computers use.

Banger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Is it set up as a pop account because then you could use outlook (well one of its alternatives)? Then she does not even need a web browser to check her email.

weirdfate

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Banger said:
Is it set up as a pop account because then you could use outlook (well one of its alternatives)? Then she does not even need a web browser to check her email.
wish it was but we well i have contacted there it guy and he said its a no go. its not a true email system more like IM but in email setting. I dont get it but its the way it is

also the site www.qssweb.com is the other one it comes up but wont let her log in.

weirdfate

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UltraMagnus said:
try installing this into firefox https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59

its a plugin for firefox that basically allows it to lie to the website and tell it that it is really IE. it may not work, but it bypasses any browser type check.

i got that installed but its not locked to use ie fake. If it could be set to always use ie7... it could be good..

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
weirdfate said:
UltraMagnus said:
try installing this into firefox https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59

its a plugin for firefox that basically allows it to lie to the website and tell it that it is really IE. it may not work, but it bypasses any browser type check.

i got that installed but its not locked to use ie fake. If it could be set to always use ie7... it could be good..

what, she can't click one button when she wants to use her "special" websites.

sorry, but its a lost cause if she is that thick....

weirdfate

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HaHaHa thick i never thought of it like that, i just thought she was a bitch about that but hes she is thick headed... HaHaHa

well i got IE running in crossover wine other than flash it works ok. I have flash installed but it just isnt running any thing in web sites just shows blank not even a drop down to install....

weirdfate

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well to make the wife happy i got linspire... Yes i know its just like windows BLA BLAA. But you know what she used it the other day and did not bitch once other than !!!!uhhh you changed it again!!!!

im having another issue now i cant get wiifree to work.. I drag the iso to it and poof nothing

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
weirdfate said:
HaHaHa thick i never thought of it like that, i just thought she was a bitch about that but hes she is thick headed... HaHaHa

You have been bending over backwards for this woman (Wine, VMs) and she won't them because she "doesn't like it"? Your wife is a super bitch. She can't appreciate what you're doing for her and she should just get her own computer or use a different (real) email account. Her "work" shouldn't require her to use an email client that isn't email, it's ridiculous and possibly a violation of the Internet Freedom and Nondiscrimination Act of 2006.

She is a bitch and she doesn't seem to appreciate you man. Sorry you don't feel like you can install whatever OS you want on your machine.

wiifrii is a windows app, isn't it? Don't expect drag-n-drop functionality... use a VM.

weirdfate

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heran Bago said:
weirdfate said:

You have been bending over backwards for this woman (Wine, VMs) and she won't them because she "doesn't like it"? Your wife is a super bitch. She can't appreciate what you're doing for her and she should just get her own computer or use a different (real) email account. Her "work" shouldn't require her to use an email client that isn't email, it's ridiculous and possibly a violation of the Internet Freedom and Nondiscrimination Act of 2006.

She is a bitch and she doesn't seem to appreciate you man. Sorry you don't feel like you can install whatever OS you want on your machine.

wiifrii is a windows app, isn't it? Don't expect drag-n-drop functionality... use a VM.

ok so what can i use to remove updates and change regions? I used to use wizzl shizzle or what ever it was but that dont work in linux or wine/crossover

and she is just affraid of change. Windows windows windows... What is this linux thing io dont like it
frown.gif
amd as far as the email thing i think that ie running in the newer vresion of crossover is working.. DING DING DING we may have a winner

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
weirdfate said:
Heran Bago said:
weirdfate said:

ok so what can i use to remove updates and change regions? I used to use wizzl shizzle or what ever it was but that dont work in linux or wine/crossover

and she is just affraid of change. Windows windows windows... What is this linux thing io dont like it
frown.gif
amd as far as the email thing i think that ie running in the newer vresion of crossover is working.. DING DING DING we may have a winner

Drag and drop programs really work on a command line level. dragging wii.iso onto free.exe is the same as entering "free.exe wii.iso" into the command prompt looking at that folder. That said I don't know how you would go about doing this in Wine. You could try copying cmd.exe out of a /windows/system32/ from a windows install and running it under wine but there is probably a better solution.

Yeah linux is a pain at first for anyone who isn't familiar with it. Sorry to bad-mouth the missus.
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: What if succubus were real? :ninja: