ROM Hack Question Link's Awakening - possible to replace the Switch music with the Game Boy music?

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd say possible. The new game's soundtrack has been dumped and converted, so it can't be too hidden away. I haven't looked at the game files but if it uses Nintendo's usual streaming audio formats, there are converters around. So you'd want to extract the game files, locate the music files, figure out which is which and any stuff like loop points. Then obtain or record the tunes from the gameboy version, and convert them to the right format with the right loop points. Throw them in the right place with layeredfs, bingo bongo.

Reactions: Deleted User

Lee Griffin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hippy dave hit the nail on the head. I modded a few sounds when BOTW modding was a big fun thing, and making sure it looped correctly and was in the correct format was definitely the hardest part. Even then, there's size limitations that may not be able to be changed and also secondary locations in the game's filesystem where music is stored all in one file as kind of like a file-check to make sure it both songs match up and if they dont it could lead to distortion...

Either way it sounds mostly doable. I only did mods for BOTW bc I owned it, loved it, and play the living sh*t out of it and wanted more. I do not own Links Awakening and therefore cant dump the files. If you got big bucks and would like to gift me this game I'll give you an answer within 24 hrs, otherwise I'll look into it when I come around to buying it and finishing it

Lee Griffin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As the title says, would it be possible? Difficult? Relatively easy?

Very possible! On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the most difficult, its like a 2 if you know what you're doing. It's just a matter of getting all the music.
Just have to work on looping bc it goes silent after 2 loops

Last edited by Lee Griffin,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    LEOtck? Who's he? Never 'erd of the las. :)
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I only show the mirror to people and you all can't stand what you're seeing
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    bunch of bullies
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Narcissistic Personality Disorder 101
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I think that's what you have
    Thanks for providing further evidence of my claim in a single comment. lol.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    pff\
    You're a gaslighting narcissist. Everyone out to get you. You wont get professional help because you'll just chalk up their diagnosis as another conspiracy out to get you.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    leave me alone, I'm not going to engage with you anymore, bye
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    Motherfucker I was checked by a psychiatrist and there's nothing wrong with me
    okay. Bye. Thought you were leaving anyway. Why are you still around? You already said goodbye to everyone here.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so stop spurting your nonsense
    lol. liar.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    knock it off now, both of you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yea you're just a mean bully
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    he SHOULD
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and NOW
    liar, loudmouth, cussing and swearing, all angry
    ok. sorry. ill stop now. promise
    Sooo. How about Dune part 1 & 2? The cinematography is fantastic, but thats some of the most boring ass sci-fi Ive seen in my life.
    haven't seen both
    Im going to see the new Godzilla next week. Sure they aren't some cinematic masterpieces but the last few were all really great and fun popcorn flicks to see on the big screen.
    can't remember the last time I went to the cinemas
    Me neither, not precisely. I think the last one I went to was Top Gun Maverick
    Oh. Wait. I took my mom to see Elvis. I think that was the last time I went. I'll most likely see the new Planet of the Apes in a theater too.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Oh. Wait. I took my mom to see Elvis. I think that was the last time I went. I'll most likely...