Limited Run Games to release a Wii U game, company to lose money for publishing it

483D7B1B-36AF-4365-A729-DABB2418DE37.png

Although the Wii U might have been replaced and eclipsed by the Switch, some publishers haven’t entirety abandoned the short-lived console. One of which is Limited Run Games, known for helping digital only games get physical copies. According to a new tweet, their latest project involves a Wii U game. It’s apparently taken more than a year to get things sorted, and it even seems that releasing this specific title has been a financial drain, as one of the members of Limited Run Games claimed that they won’t be even close to making a profit, or even breaking even once it’s released. As to what exactly this mystery game is, we don’t know yet, but whatever it is, it appears to have been something that took a lot of effort to get a physical release. If things go well, it’ll be announced and available for sale at the end of the month, if not, you’ll have to wait until around November.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Always something sad when a company can't even break even on a product

Especially given how cheap it is to actually crank out disc based games vs the amount they sell for. Even at $20 there would a hell of a lot of money to be made (look at all the cheap shovelware for the old Wii). Only way to lose money, or even not break even, would be if they way overspent on acquiring the title and/or localizing/developing it. Or they way over manufacture it (10 billion copies pressed when only 1000 get sold, or some other ridiculous scenario, unlikely given LRG's print runs)

Reactions: MarkDarkness

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Especially given how cheap it is to actually crank out disc based games vs the amount they sell for. Even at $20 there would a hell of a lot of money to be made (look at all the cheap shovelware for the old Wii). Only way to lose money, or even not break even, would be if they way overspent on acquiring the title and/or localizing/developing it. Or they way over manufacture it (10 billion copies pressed when only 1000 get sold, or some other ridiculous scenario, unlikely given LRG's print runs)
I can imagine that they had problems convincing Nintendo that they get the permission to release a Wii U disk... maybe even some kind of lawsuit or something? That might have gotten very expensive and might explain such a serious delay.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.