Misc limited or no connectivity help

xmedia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I bought a USB Wi-Fi dongle to get onto the internet with my ds and I get an error message from my PC saying that there is limited or no connectivity. I can detect the AP with my DS but I cant get online.
I'm getting my internet from a local building network and not directly from the Cable modem so I don't have access to the main Computer to make any changes there.
Could someone please help me out with what settings I should use to get a connection?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
its hard to answer this question without information on the typology of your network. however, i have read (not tried myself) that the official nintendo usb dongle will let you connect to any network with any security as the software you install takes care of the packet forwarding. so you could be on a highly encrypted network and the dongle will work as it takes the required signal and type from the nds and forwards it via software around the network to the outside. with that said i don't know if 802.11g or n will still function. the info i read was about encryption only (WEP, WEPA, etc).

If that isn't the case then it is the way your computer is configured to forward the info or use the dongle itself. that is where you should start debugging, as i doubt you are going to get access to the building network. ask whoever runs the network what the specs are. the info you need is encryption type, broadcast channel, wifi standard. the nds requires wep (64/128), ch 1, 6 or 11, and 802.11b. find out that info so if it is an issue with the way the dongle functions you will atleast know why.

doing a google search of the nintendo usb dongle, nintendo usb hookup, nintendo usb guide, etc will get you a ton of help. try to find out how to exactly tweak it for a computer and give all settings a try.

sorry i can't be of more help i use a router myself.

-another world.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
This seems to be a common problem on PCs running windows ;? You may have to restart the computer or reset the network by unplugging the network router for 10 seconds or so and plugging it bacj in. Theres also a hotfix for Windows XP that should fix this as well.

xmedia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am using one of these [hxxp://joystores.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=69¤cy=USD] wifi dongles. I running windows XP, I've also tried it using Vista, but still no good.
As for the "Official" Nintendo wifi dongle, I heard that that has been discontinued due to licensing issues with the buffalo company or something like that.
The guy who runs the router is a bit of an @$$ and getting him to tell me anything is impossible. I suppose the real issue I have is that the settings on my PC (or is it my network) wont let my USB dongle do any transmitting or receiving. Thanks for all the replies though.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Find your IP address... your LOCAL IP address...

192.168.x.x (in XP > Start / Run / cmd / ipconfig)

of the 2 routers I have I get either 192.168.2.3 and 192.168.1.101

Just find the first number (1 or 2)

Type this into IE/FireFox

http://192.168.x.1 --- replace x with the 1 or 2 or other number you found in IPConfig

if it asks for a user/pass, usually it's no username and the password is "admin" without the " "

change the "Channel" to 1 or 10, and reset the router.

You can also add the DS Mac Address to the list of OK sources if your daring enough!

xmedia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
zidane_genome said:
Find your IP address... your LOCAL IP address...

192.168.x.x (in XP > Start / Run / cmd / ipconfig)

of the 2 routers I have I get either 192.168.2.3 and 192.168.1.101

Just find the first number (1 or 2)

Type this into IE/FireFox

http://192.168.x.1 --- replace x with the 1 or 2 or other number you found in IPConfig

if it asks for a user/pass, usually it's no username and the password is "admin" without the " "

change the "Channel" to 1 or 10, and reset the router.

You can also add the DS Mac Address to the list of OK sources if your daring enough!

Sorry to say that this did not work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: 3 hours on a riding lawn mower, my butt is numb and my whole body is still vibrating. Gonna be a...