Limited edition pikachu ds. Is it a fake?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by jon92388, Jul 23, 2010.

Jul 23, 2010
  1. jon92388
    OP

Newcomer jon92388 Advanced Member

United States
    So my friend wants to sell me his limited edition pikachu ds i suspect it as being a fake but he says its 100% real. I took a picture of the bottom of it and was wondering if anyone here could help me thanks[​IMG]

2. The Pi

Member The Pi Lurker

United Kingdom
    It's real [​IMG]

3. jon92388
    OP

United States
    I saw the shell on eBay and this one has a different bottom but that serial number doesn't seem Japanese to me. isn't the Japanese serial number just all letters and numbers with no bar code?

4. Phr3d13

Member Phr3d13 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    it's real, my son has one... At least i hope it is... My son's looks just like the one in the my fake ds vid...

5. badbob

Member badbob Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I can't tell from that picture and I don't want to get mine out of it's box to compare. But the fake ones look and feel cheap. If the LEDs shine through the plastic more than a normal DS Lite would, it's fake.

There's lots of fakes out there and not many real ones. You had to go to Pokemon Store in Japan, enter a raffle and win to even be able to buy one.

I don't know what that black sticker is on the back. Mine doesn't have that. Take some photos of the front and inside with it turned on and I should be able to tell you if it's fake or not.

This should help you tell. The plastic inside is really thin on the fakes, look at the speakers in this video:

6. jon92388
    OP

United States
    i found the bottom of a real japanese ds online [​IMG]

7. jon92388
    OP

United States

I dont have the ds on hand but i got him to send me a photo of it. Its in some case he keeps it in and he said he put that sticker there[​IMG]

8. badbob

United Kingdom
    It looks authentic to me. How much is he selling it for? Does it include the box? The box is different on all the fakes.

9. jon92388
    OP

United States
    he wants 80 for it he is in a tight spot and he doesn't have the box but he did say it came from japan originally but i saw a video on ebay where the serial number looks different and ug is the usa serial i think

youtube link incase it didnt work : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYvssIwg91o

10. Phr3d13

Member Phr3d13 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Am i the only one that can't see the picture?

11. badbob

United Kingdom
    Actually I change my mind, I'm really not sure, it's so hard to tell from that last photo at that terrible resolution. The serial number thing and black sticker are very strange. The original one should have the serial number sticker just like the white one you showed. I was thinking maybe he sent it for repair and they changed the serial number to a US one and stuck that black sticker on, but if your friend says he stuck it on then that doesn't make sense.

Watch the video I posted above in my edit, it highlights lots of faults about the fake ones.

12. jon92388
    OP

United States
    i couldn't get the youtube video to embed if you mean that

13. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Why would an american Nintendo sticker being on a Japanese DSLite?

Also, the serial seems strange.

My bet's on a american DSLite with a changed cover bought online.

He might be actually believe that it's genuine since the guy who sold it to him might have "scammed" him in the first place. Can't be sure of it, but from here it doesn't look like an original one.

It's still a good price for an used DSLite, and the cover (even if not original) seems like a good one.

If you do feel like it, buy it [​IMG]

14. badbob

United Kingdom
    No, I mean the video I embedded above, but that one doesn't even have the pikachu logo now I check again. But that one does have a serial number that looks like your one.

It's probably fake. $80 is super cheap for a real one and it sounds like your friend is a bit hazy on the details

15. jon92388
    OP

United States
    he didnt mean that black sticker on the back there is a sticker on the case of the ds he ment. he told me he bought it off a guy he knows and trusts at school. He also said the guy got it on yahoo auctions japan. but it looks a lot different from that fake one in the video the serial number isnt shinny and looks like a real usa one. even the color is different and it has the real Japanese bottom but i dont know if there are shells with the japanese bottom or not

16. badbob

United Kingdom
    We need more hi-res photos to know for sure

17. jon92388
    OP

United States
    he said he paid 250 for it but he knows ive always wanted that pikachu ds and we always sell each other stuff way lower then they are worth so the price is just a friend thing

18. badbob

United Kingdom
    Like raulpica said. It's $80 and you like it. So just buy it.

Post some more pics when you get it if you want to confirm if it's geniune or not

19. Bowler67

Newcomer Bowler67 Member

United States
    As that Raulpica guy said, it's an American DS Lite, but with a replacement shell.

20. jon92388
    OP

United States
    he said he is going to send me better photos of it when he gets home i will post them then