Limewire being sued for up to $75 trillion

Matthew

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
"13 record companies are trying to sue Limewire for $75 Trillion. The NYC judge in the case thinks it is 'absurd'. Its almost like these media companies are their worst enemy trying to make themselves look ridiculous. From the article: "The record companies, which had demanded damages ranging from $400 billion to $75 trillion, had argued that Section 504©(1) of the Copyright Act provided for damages for each instance of infringement where two or more parties were liable. For a popular site like Lime Wire, which had thousands of users and millions of downloads, Wood held that the damage award would be staggering under this interpretation. 'If plaintiffs were able to pursue a statutory damage theory predicated on the number of direct infringers per work, defendants' damages could reach into the trillions,' she wrote. 'As defendants note, plaintiffs are suggesting an award that is more money than the entire music recording industry has made since Edison's invention of the phonograph in 1877.'"

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/11/03/23/193...For-75-Trillion

Just to put it in perspective, $75 trillion is the GDP of the ENTIRE earth

worlok375

GBAtemp's prince
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DMCA (I believe)-Owners of websites aren't responsible for user-uploaded material. I'd assume the same goes with programs, such as Limewire.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy cow. That's the problem with every industry now days. They want more money than they lost or anybody can actually afford. Honestly, it's like they want to have ALL the currency in the world all to themselves. We are NOT made of money. If you want to sue someone, sue them for how much they have, at the maximum, and not for just some arbitrary number you pulled out your ass butt.

CYatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
'-plaintiffs are suggesting an award that is more money than the entire music recording industry has made since Edison's invention of the phonograph in 1877.'
That's my favorite part. But seriously, these are just the labels that back terrible musicians. Screw them, greedy assholes. They can take their Backstreets and 50 cents and shove it.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes they can, there's a pirate edition out there that works perfectly fine as well as frostwire which is still chugging along

thing is the gnutella network is alot crappier with the official limewire gone

Edit: and i remember hearing that older versions of the official program work too

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Terminator02 said:
yes they can, there's a pirate edition out there that works perfectly fine as well as frostwire which is still chugging along

thing is the gnutella network is alot crappier with the official limewire gone
That probably wouldn't be a good idea, but I guess you could do that.

hunter291

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
what was so special about limewire ? i tried it 3 or 4 years ago, and the only things i found were huge ass asian tentacle monster cheese [censored] videos disguised as cool shit, and shitty shit.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hunter291 said:
what was so special about limewire ? i tried it 3 or 4 years ago, and the only things i found were huge ass asian tentacle monster cheese [censored] videos disguised as cool shit, and shitty shit.
It was special because lots of people used it to download music.

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow, $75 Trillion...isn't that absurd
unsure.gif

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Duskye said:
hunter291 said:
It was special because lots of people used it to download music.
Illegally

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Yeah agreed