Homebrew Suggestion Like Morrowind & dont mind using android? This might be the best experience on switch

Basketto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

Just stumbled on this :P.

Only requires a free google play app called OpenMicrowave + a copy of a legit Morrowind folder

Last edited by Basketto,

Basketto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This is through open microwave app, I imagine you will be able to increase graphical capabilities to a higher standard than the ubuntu/port to horizon, although unsure atm. I havent tried the port in a while but from what i recall ubuntu worked better, out of the 2 so far.

Basketto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

I have just tried this :P, unless your using a program to overclock you wont get the same performance on horizon unless something changed dramatically. Load times seem pretty decent with mods too which i found a little painful with the ported version. I should mention the visuals look pretty top notch too. If you like the horizon version enjoy! It works well. But I wouldnt be so quick to discard this unless you outright dont like running android on switch

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Have you used energy profile settings on android? If so - you have overclocked your switch.
Q: How to switch performance profiles?
A: Go to Settings -> Battery -> Power Profiles. The options are Balanced = 1 GHz CPU / 468 MHz GPU, Quick = 1.4 GHz CPU / 768 MHz GPU and Performance = 1.7 GHz CPU / 920 MHz GPU. Keep in mind that the high performance profiles use MUCH more battery.

So the statement potentially becomes:

Android is better because of overclocking, if you dont overclock while using the alternative.

Could that be the difference?

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Isn't OpenMW already on the switch?

Yes.

Have you used energy profile settings on android? If so - you have overclocked your switch.

Android is better because of overclocking, if you dont overclock while using the alternative.

The same applications probably do perform worse at the same clock speeds due to IPC overhead, but it's probably related to performance settings here. Horizon OpenMW doesn't change clock speeds, so you're getting the "normal" clock, which is whatever the current HBL takeover application's clock speed is (so if BotW is overlocked and you run HBL via its icon with R, sys-clk applies that speed unless its code changed.) In portable mode, the defaults are terrible.

Last edited by chaoskagami,

Jkid291

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In practicality it would probably be easier to just use OpenWM as its just installing and playing, easy enough to overclock in cfw, as well as easy (if you know what your doing) modding it. If you don't want to install .nsp files to your switch then this method works great. You probably will get more management out of the android version (and easier save editing?)

Basketto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

I have used performance before, but my tests are using balance so far* pretty sure the balance has the same CPU as horizon and slightly increased GPU to portable. Should add too right off the bat, this version gives off more appealing visuals.

Last edited by Basketto,
Reactions: notimp

Jackson98

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Kudos, this runs very well and has lovely visuals! The only annoyance I have found is that with the use of the Switch pro controller, L&R Triggers cannot be read at all when mapping the controllers.

Reactions: Basketto

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I have used performance before, but my tests are using balance so far* pretty sure the balance has the same CPU as horizon and slightly increased GPU to portable. Should add too right off the bat, this version gives off more appealing visuals.
Just to state it as well, the Horizon native version has a resolution slider. By default it runs in a SD resolution, you can change that. :)

Reactions: Basketto

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: Good morning everyone