LightScribe DVD-R DL media?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by MaHe, Oct 29, 2007.

1. MaHe
    OP

MaHe one lazy schmo

Aug 4, 2006
    Slovenia
    Maribor
    Since C4EVA released iExtreme for BenQ-drive based XBOX360 units, I've decided to flash mine (simply because I can't afford Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect, which are all coming in November), and finally got myself a DVD DL burner today. I'm still in a search of a compatible PCI SATA card though (by the way, does anyone have a list of VIA chipsets that work and card that have those chipsets?), since my local store doesn't have any. [​IMG]

But the main question is - I tried hard, but couldn't find a single media that would fit these three categories:

- supports LightScribe (I prefer a nice look, but not too much complication -> LightScribe is the perfect combination between the printed DVDs and Sharpie'd DVDs [​IMG] );
    - is a double-layered DVD;
    - has a quality trademark (Verbatim; are there any other good marks, TDK perhaps?);

I tried Google Product Search, but I couldn't find anything. Can you help me?

2. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    DL lightscribe media is not made. You have printable surface or normal , thats it.
    Any via chipset should work to flash the drive without having to solder. Most cards seem to use either the 6421A chipset which work or the 6421L chipset , which also works. Nforce SATA controllers also work to flash without having to solder , so if you have a nforce chipset and sata controller , you won't have to buy anything.
    As for DL media , Verbatim , nothing else is worth bothering with. Just make sure to get the made in singapore ones and not the made in india ones.

Oh and dunno if it was a typo in the title , but you want dvd+r , not -r.

3. MaHe
    OP

MaHe one lazy schmo

Aug 4, 2006
    Slovenia
    Maribor
    Hmm, DVD+R is necessary?

4. Armadillo

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Yes , you have to use +R. 360 games have a custom layerbreak , -r has a fixed one that can't be changed. So have to use +R.
    Besides that -r dl are just not very good anyway.

5. jumpman17

jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

Former Staff
    Apr 11, 2003
    United States
    Eww... LightScribe? Those things are such useless over-priced discs.

6. MaHe
    OP

MaHe one lazy schmo

Aug 4, 2006
    Slovenia
    Maribor
  7. Armadillo

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Imgburn or clone cd. I prefer imgburn.

Card should work , application to flash supports all via chipsets. Can't 100% confirm though as most people seem to use a 6421 chipset , but I can't see why the 6420 wouldn't work.

8. MaHe
    OP

MaHe one lazy schmo

Aug 4, 2006
    Slovenia
    Maribor
    Thanks. I've found a decent 6421A card that's confirmed to work.
    Thanks again for your answers! I'm flashing in seven days.
    Can't wait for Assassin's Creed. [​IMG]