Lightgun game fans?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by NoSoul81, Sep 17, 2016.

1. NoSoul81
    OP

NoSoul81 GBAtemp Fan

May 30, 2016
    United States
    I've always been a big fan of lightgun games. I still have a Guncon 1 and 2 but HDTVs cannot support these guns. So a few years back I bought 2 EMS Top Gun 3s. Top Gun 3s are wireless as opposed to version 1 and 2 being wired. They work pretty well and I can play practically any lightgun game with these alone.

They work on my softmodded PS2 which covers quite a few of the best lightgun games, also the original Xbox for House of the Dead 3 and Silent Scope. They also work on PC I have them on my laptop which I have an HDMI cable to hook the laptop to my TV so I can play them on the TV. This gives me access PC Lightgun games such as House of the Dead 1 and 2 Virtua Cop 1 and 2 but also emulators such as MAME which lets you play all the arcade only lightgun games, and finally PS1 to cover the PS1 games. I'm using 2 different PS1 emulators to cover them all because I can only get them to work on each. Epsxe 1.6 covers Elemental Gearbolt, Time Crisis and Time Crisis Project Titan, PCsX Reloaded (w/ a lightgun plugin called nuvee) covers the rest which includes Resident Evil Gun Survivor, Simple 1500 Gun Shooting 1 and 2, Ghostbusters, Project Horned Owl and Judge Dredd. Then there is the Wii which the Wiimote and nunchuck are almost like a lightgun themselves but I bought a gun for it that the Wiimote can fit in for only a few dollars. There are also a few older lightgun games on Super Nintendo and NES which I have not been able to play but other than that this covers probably 80-90% of the lightgun games ever made. Here is a list of all gun games ever made

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gun_games

The EMS top guns can be a little pricey especially on sites like Amazon but I recommend trying to buy them play-asia but before that check Ebay. I was able to land one of them for $30 because nobody bid on it but they seem to rarely have them on there but never hurts to check. Make sure whereever you buy it it has an orange tip because the first models they made that were pure black had a problem where the trigger would stop working this happened to me on the first one I ever bought but the orange one does not have this problem.

Last edited by NoSoul81, Sep 17, 2016
    Subtle Demise and zxc2 like this.
  2. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels GBAtemp Fan

Jun 6, 2016
    Netherlands
    South-Holland
    thanks man, i've been looking for a nice replacement of my lightguns... although the wii mote does the job for me rigt now...
    i'm trying to get a list of working or capable to work with some extra software controllers for lubuntu 14.04...
    (i'm busy getting a custom retro console together, wich is only capable to run lubuntu 14 for now)

3. NoSoul81
    OP

NoSoul81 GBAtemp Fan

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Forgot about PS3 which I have PS Move and eye camera for House of the Dead 4 (digital only) and Time Crisis Razing Storm, which also includes Time Crisis 4. These games can't be played anywhere else other than arcade. It's a shame but it seems the genre has finally died as there hasn't been a new lightgun game in a long time.

Edit: I stand corrected, I had no idea there was a Time Crisis 5 that came out last year for arcades. But I don't see it coming to home consoles. PS3 is pretty much dead and I'm not sure they'd put it on PS4/Xbox One but it's possible I guess but I won't hold my breath. They'd have to make a lightgun specifically for this game for those consoles because there is no other lightgun games on PS4/Xbox One.

Time Crisis 5 was released by Namco in March 2015 exclusively for arcades. The game uses Epic Games's Unreal Engine, as opposed to all Time Crisis games before it. Unlike its predecessors, the game uses two pedals. Namco later announced a True Mastermind edition (真の黒幕編 Shin no kokumakuhen) of the game which was released near the end of August 2015, and includes three new stages, for a total of 6 stages, the largest in the series.[5][6] It is currently the only main entry of the series which hasn't received any home console port.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Out of curiosity do you use your Wiimote for PC lightgun games or just Wii? I know they made a plugin that allowed you to use your Wiimote on PC but I've never tried it myself. I believe one was made for the PS Move to work on PC also.

Last edited by NoSoul81, Sep 17, 2016
  4. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Despite all the critics of the wiimote, using it as a laser gun allowed for some games that just aren't the same on any other console or PC (I'm talking about house of the dead: overkill and sin & punishment, here).

I just use it on the wii(u), btw.

5. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels GBAtemp Fan

Jun 6, 2016
    Netherlands
    South-Holland
    on my pc, ubuntu latest kernel has the drivers, you just need 2 bright ir emiters placed in a bar (a replacement for the sencorbar, you could use a usb modded version or a wireless one or make one yourself) for accuracy and bluetooth to link the mote... for windows i don't know good drivers to link the bluetooth.

6. G0R3Z

G0R3Z Just Can't Be Bothered

Aug 12, 2014
    Sin and punishment was a pretty fantastic love letter to the light gun genre.

So many pounds wasted on time crisis at the arcades when I was young.