Life of a microsdhc card?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by k4ever, Apr 17, 2009.

Apr 17, 2009

Life of a microsdhc card? by k4ever at 1:05 AM (823 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. k4ever
    OP

Member k4ever GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have an acekard 2.1 with the latest akaio firmware, and I never have had any problems with any game I have played since 6 months ago. I have a 4gb kingston microsdhc that I bought at newegg for around 10-15 bucks by the way. I play a LOT of mkds online and I have started to have freezes (the whole screen turns black, so I have nothing to do than to turn off my ds) when Im going from one race into another.
    I have been thinking that maybe my card have started to fail, so maybe I need to buy a new one. Or maybe I just have to reformat it and solve the problem.
    Any ideas about what could be the cause of these freezes?

2. zero383

Member zero383 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Reformat with the Panasonic SD Formatter (full format) and reinstall AKAIO with the latest loader (Apr 13, 2009).

3. hammyhavoc

Newcomer hammyhavoc Newbie

United Kingdom
    Some manufacturers such as Lexar now offer a five year warranty unlike with SD cards which can have a very very very short life.

4. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    It's more likely that a microSD will die from physical damage, worn out contacts or general mishandling (getting wet while in use, power spike from computer, for example) than anything else. At any rate, they will likely become obsolete and useless before dying, under normal circumstances. All bets are off if the card had a slight manufacturing defect to begin with though. Usually, if one quits, the user did something wrong (whether they knew it or not) to make it quit.

5. Golin

Member Golin GBAtemp Regular

United States
    SD cards and their equivalents are made to last through thousands of rewrites. They're not made to last time-wise... I mean a thousand rewrites is generally years away, but some people can do hundreds of rewrites within a week... so time-wise it varies. On the bright side manufacture warranty on SD cards are usually 5-years to lifetime warranties.