Life expectancy of an external HDD as backup loader?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by gifi4, Feb 4, 2012.

1. gifi4
    OP

Member gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Australia
    Hey guys, I was just wondering how long my external drive will last if I'm using it to play Wii backups?
    If for example I play a game off of the HDD every day for say, 4 hours, how long is the HDD gonna last before it gives up and dies?

2. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    ...if it's a brand-new drive then it will take ages.

The Wii isn't used like a PC - the drive isn't constantly spinning nor is it turned on for long periods of time, thus life extends a little bit when compared to the standard life expectancy of a given model.

3. gifi4
    OP

Australia
    Well, it's not brand new, was using it in my old computer because I only had 140gb of internal storage, my new comp I have over 2tb so yeah =D
    Was using it for about a year.

Edit: Whilst this thread is still active, Am I able to play Wiiware games and VC games off the HDD or not?

4. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    yes, with e.g. uneek

5. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    wasnt that stuff added to the cIOS to purposefully keep doing random reads from the drive to keep some drives from going to sleep? so even if you are doing something while the cIOS is not requiring the drive, it will keep pestering the thing to it doesnt go to sleep.

6. PsyBlade

Germany
    constantly spinning up/down every few minutes puts way more wear on drives then continous running

7. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden

Very very true.
    Also cold-booting an HDD is said to equal around 1 week of constant running (with no writing or reading, just spinning)... Or used to like 6 years ago....

8. gifi4
    OP

Australia
    Assuming I was using a new drive, what would the life expectancy be after taking this into consideration?

9. rehevkor

Member rehevkor GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Impossible to say, surely? Depends on too many factors. Build quality of the drive, imperfections, random elements during manufacture, free radicals, age (not just from when it was bought, but when it was made), make, how often the drive is moved, model, solar flares, temperature it's kept at both idle and running, alignment of the planets, MAGNETS.

Could last between 10 minutes and 10 years.

10. PsyBlade

Germany
    Running continously for a few hours per day is exactly what normal consumer drives are designed for.
    Don't worry about that.
    Unless unlucky I would expect it to last several years (3-6, more if you are lucky)

11. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden

Actually I can confirm this lol
    One of my previous drives died after 1 day (~26h), but I still have 2 (or 3) HDDs from the early -00 thats working just fine.
    Obviously the HDDs from -00 isnt used on a daily basis anymore, but I do use them from time to time (I removed them from my PC around 3 years ago, when I got a mobo without IDE ports :P).