Hacking Libretro-database to EZ-Flash Omega cheat converter/patcher

fluberbuton

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all, first post here so I'd appreciate any feedback so I can improve this post and project.

I have found some limitations with the cheat library provided by EZ-Flash for the Omega devices, such as confusing descriptions and missing cheats that are common in other collections. To try to improve the database, I wrote a little script to read and convert the GBA cheats from the libretro-database repository to the EZFlash Omega cheat format, and then add those converted cheats into an existing EZ-Flash "stock" cheat database.

The script runs fine for me, and cheats show up and seem to work as expected, but testing is fundamentally pretty difficult for this sort of a project. I think the utility has the potential to be really beneficial to other EZ-Flash Omega (and DE) users, so I'd appreciate if anyone could try it out and provide feedback here or as an issue in the repository.

The utility is a standalone Python 3 script with no additional dependencies that should run on any Python 3.8+ distribution, and possibly in lower minor versions of Python 3. Because my account gbatemp is brand-new, I can't link the repository directly, but you should be able to find it pretty easily by searching "jeresch/update_ezflash_cheats" on GitHub.

Thanks!

booshankles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all, first post here so I'd appreciate any feedback so I can improve this post and project.

I have found some limitations with the cheat library provided by EZ-Flash for the Omega devices, such as confusing descriptions and missing cheats that are common in other collections. To try to improve the database, I wrote a little script to read and convert the GBA cheats from the libretro-database repository to the EZFlash Omega cheat format, and then add those converted cheats into an existing EZ-Flash "stock" cheat database.

The script runs fine for me, and cheats show up and seem to work as expected, but testing is fundamentally pretty difficult for this sort of a project. I think the utility has the potential to be really beneficial to other EZ-Flash Omega (and DE) users, so I'd appreciate if anyone could try it out and provide feedback here or as an issue in the repository.

The utility is a standalone Python 3 script with no additional dependencies that should run on any Python 3.8+ distribution, and possibly in lower minor versions of Python 3. Because my account gbatemp is brand-new, I can't link the repository directly, but you should be able to find it pretty easily by searching "jeresch/update_ezflash_cheats" on GitHub.

Thanks!
gosh how does one go about using this lol i would really like to use it,any tutorial or anything?

Last edited by booshankles,

Rokku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I second this, I'd love to use this tool but I have no idea how it's supposed to work.

EDIT: I've been trying it but I keep getting errors, the most recent one is something about a cheat file having too many cheats I guess?

EDIT 2: Fixed the problem and was able to successfully patch the cheat list, so this definitely seems to work with the Omega DE.

RAoLjjL.png

Last edited by Rokku,

Levine91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I second this, I'd love to use this tool but I have no idea how it's supposed to work.

EDIT: I've been trying it but I keep getting errors, the most recent one is something about a cheat file having too many cheats I guess?

EDIT 2: Fixed the problem and was able to successfully patch the cheat list, so this definitely seems to work with the Omega DE.

RAoLjjL.png

Could you help us out that are completely clueless on how to use this?

EZ-Flash2

Official EZ-FLASH Stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I tried to run the script and found that the help was missing the description of the additional parameters until the error message prompted me, I found the detailed description of the parameters and file requirements in the source code, and after successfully running it, the script patched roughly 803 cht file.

NOTE: if the code runs with out error and displaying a "Patches applied", it means all the 803 files already patched in FLY, do not run the code again, otherwise the duplicate data will be written to those files again.

NOTE: I have not tested the converted code yet.

Rokku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want to say that for some reason this did not convert my codes for Pokemon Fire Red, as I ended up with a useless cheat file full of Chinese characters.

Son of Spam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

RAoLjjL.png
Could you upload your converted cht files? Thanks.

Reactions: Defective1Up

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.