Li-ion batteries could soon charge 10x more, 10x faster

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Vulpes Abnocto, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Vulpes Abnocto
    OP

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    :arrow:Source

Even though it's said that this gain drops dramatically after 150 charges, it would certainly be nice to have that sort of boost for a while.
    Play your Nintendo 3DS for >10 hours, charge it in

3 people like this.

2. Xuphor

Banned Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

United States
    Several hundred (maybe thousand) "small holes - just 20-40 nanometers wide", which'll up the charge by what? 8 times? No thanks, no woth it

3. Vulpes Abnocto
    OP

United States
    If it doesn't make the batteries any more expensive I don't see how this increase wouldn't be worth considering.

4. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    Wow this is very interesting to say the least. I was thinking that batteries can't evolve due to their set voltage of amps that the company produce overtime. Now looking at this information it makes me wonder how 'safe' is the battery under high temperatures?

5. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    By the time those batteries come out the 3DS will already been succeeded by another Ninty handheld.
    The PS Vita will be replaced by something.
    My laptop would be buried in a landfill.
    My phone would probably still work.......
    All new technology is expensive.
    Wait a year and it will be cheap enough to afford.

6. s4mid4re

Member s4mid4re  

United States
    Estimated price? I don't see it in the article.

7. Vulpes Abnocto
    OP

United States
    Canonbeat: That's pretty much what I was wondering.
    I want to know if the battery is more unstable, prone to leakage, more apt to explode using this new method.
    And of course how much each battery will cost.

8. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    This is nice, maybe the iPhone 5 won't run out of battery in 4 hours. Then again, maybe the tech isn't ready that early.

3 people like this.
  9. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

those announcements about batteries always create some kind of excitement, i remember reading pretty much the same a couple of months or years ago.
    but I've learnt not to get too excited until we actually see something out there on the market.

if this happens, the initial pricing will probably turn out to be overly high, and they will make use of the technology in a progressive manner.
    industrials will want to start low, with models that improve the current batteries significantly, but they'll still want room for profit & evolution so that they may evolve to more expensive models and renew their product lines in the future.

... a little like we're seeing now with the SSD drives. The technology is highly promising (massive gap between SSD and HDD technologies) but it seems industrials are keeping it slow: prices are constantly high, first models had ridiculously low capacities, etc.

10. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I'm frightened of battery acid leaking from the holes onto my face or a kitty or the army.

1 person likes this.
  11. Xuphor

Banned Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

United States
    The companies will need to buy the extra machines needed to make said holes, said machines will need to operate 24/7 with the other machines, there will be more testing to ensure the holes are the proper size and in the proper space, there'll probably be longer testing time to ensure the holes don't leak, etc. In short: new machine and "labor" fees.

Costello's right tho, as with all new stuff, once the cost of the new machines is paid off, it'll go down in price significantly.

12. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    You missed the "chemical oxidation process" bit. The holes won't be drilled, they will be made by dipping the graphene sheets in a corrosive agent. The size will be determined by varying the time the sheets spend in the agent. The spacing will be random (there is no "proper" placing, the important thing is that they're there), and the holes will "leak" because they're not indentations in the material, they go straight through. So no, they won't have to develop an incredibly fine and incredibly small drill to make the holes, all they need to add is a rust-proof tub.

2 people like this.
  13. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    i do remember the first announcement (that i believe shaun is talking about) that u can insert batteries in either direction and it would work, shaun said he wished for batteries that would go on for months without recharging. getting closer to it hopefully esp since mobile tech is really the way to go these days but battery has always been an issue like the iphone 4S recently had.

14. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Suppose even that these radical new batteries become a reality and that they are expensive, even than that's good news because the current batteries may become significantly cheaper as well.

Devices are just gonna keep guzzling up more battery power with more demanding hardware and tasks, and in some cases poor power management or sub-optimal software, it's about time batteries made a leap like optical media and hard drives have.

15. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    This is some pretty cool news, actually. Only time will tell how it works out (if it even comes out at all), but for now, color me excited.

Also, these should totally be called Lion Batteries instead of Li-ion. Why? A) Easier and faster to pronounce, and B) It's just cool - Who the hell wouldn't want something called lion batteries (PETA notwithstanding)?

1 person likes this.
  16. chartube12

Member chartube12 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Just one problem, in 10 years mobile device will use 10x more power

2 people like this.
  17. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Maybe if we're talking laptops that utilise x84/64 processors instead of ARM, like the majority of handheld devices and current smart phones.

How awesome would it be to have a laptop that lasted hours rather than days?

18. Vulpes Abnocto
    OP

United States
    Among friends I do call them Lion batteries, but only if I know that they'll understand what I mean.
    It's just faster, and more amusing.

19. HaniKazmi

Member HaniKazmi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    The problem is that power demands are also increasing rapidly, and therefore we probably won't get longer battery life. We probably need this just to stay at the current times :P

20. brandonspikes

Member brandonspikes King Erazer

United States
    In less than 4 years I can foresee this being a reality.