Letterboxing app?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by keke_keke, Jun 1, 2011.

1. keke_keke
    OP

keke_keke GBAtemp Regular

Apr 29, 2007
    United States
    Hi, I have a 23" HDTV that I use as my computer monitor. Naturally, I'll be sitting pretty close to it, so my component cable'd Wii isn't looking too great unless I sit back and watch it like I'm supposed to.

I know that it's not possible for homebrew to increase the resolution over 480p, but I was wondering if there's anything to letterbox games down closer to their native resolution? Normally this will look bad on a TV, but I don't think the effect will bother me much when I'm sitting so close. I've been doing something similar for VC games by setting the display to 4:3, leaving black borders on the sides. But it works great for pixel ratios.

Any help? Thanks.

2. obcd

obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 5, 2011
    Belgium
    Without changing the source code and recompiling the programs, I don't think there is much you can do.
    In most code, you will find the following instruction:

vmode = VideoGetPreferredMode(NULL);

After that, it's possible to adjust the video parameters manually:

vmode->xbfHeight = 480;
    vmode->viHeight = 480;
    vmode->viWidth = 640;

VIDEO_Configure(vmode);

As you can see, there are different Height and Width parameters (xfb = xframebuffer?) & (vi = video interface?)
    I have no experience with this, but I am sure some guys here can explain it more detailed.

3. keke_keke
    OP

keke_keke GBAtemp Regular

Apr 29, 2007
    United States
    Thanks. So is there no "master" resolution on the Wii? Does each game/app just do what they want based off the Wii settings?

Edit: The pre-rendered scenes in The Last Story look really good on this screen. Is the Wii capable of playing videos a little over 480p or are the graphics just upscaled 320p or something? If I could have the game run at the same apparent resolution these pre-renders are using, it'll be beautiful. O.o

4. nano351

nano351 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 6, 2009
    United States
    you could switch the wii's display settings to be 4:3 and then your tv should be able to pillarbox it.