Hacking Lets Verify SSBB DVD9 Dump

sidneyyoung

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
The 'caravan' dvd9 dump needs to be verified. i know it works on wiikey but i have a feeling this dump was made using the 'quick' DVD5rip+2nd layer method... this automatically pads the 1st layer image to 4699979776 bytes which is bigger than the first layer of a DVD9 can fit. The max sizeof a layer on DVD9 is 4248567808 bytes or 2074496 sectors.

To verify this, the first 4699979776 bytes from the DVD9 dump could be file chopped and CRC checked against the 'TMD' DVD5 release which is 4699979776 bytes big, if they match then we know for certain the LBA will be completely out of alignment once the past the original 1st layer size, which would be caused by the 'quick' DVD9 dumping method which is faulty IMO.

Hogmeister

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you're that damned concerned with getting the dvd9 release (the only one to date, and it works on every chip aside from the d2ckey) then do it yourself, jesus christ lol. you've made atleast 3 of these posts now trying to prove the layer issue and yet no real factual information or proof of your thoughts. DO IT YOURSELF while i enjoy the dvd9.

thanks anyway

sidneyyoung

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Sorry to have bothered anyone. Please delete this thread admins, I guess I'm just not in sync with people.

btw, i would have done this myself but I have never had interest in playing the Jpn version and was holding out for the English one to come out, and 12-13-gigs is a lot of download when someone else already most likely has the files.

enriqueiglesias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sorry to have bothered anyone. Please delete this thread admins, I guess I'm just not in sync with people.

btw, i would have done this myself but I have never had interest in playing the Jpn version and was holding out for the English one to come out, and 12-13-gigs is a lot of download when someone else already most likely has the files.

Hey, don't erase this thread! It could lead to some interesting stuff!

Well, it would be good if someone could indeed verify the caravan dump against one done off the original disc by the proper method (slow) and even the first X bytes (4699979776 you say) against the DVD5 release. It'll never hurt to be sure they match. I'd also do this myself, but d/l some 12GB when lots of people already have it, is quite a waste.

AFAIK, this is a raw iso dump, so the relative sector allocations inside would be preserved no matter where the drive/media/software decide to set the layer break. And the releases are not padded, as far as i know. They are dvd5 raw dump, so when you record it to a DVD-R or DVD+R (single layer, both of which have slightly different sectors available and at the same time different that a DVD5 pressed disc), it leaves a little bit of space unrecorded at the end (of the "first layer"). Of course, if you then try to re-rawdump the copied (burnt) disc, then it would indeed be "padded" (but this would only happen with a dump or the copy of an original, not with the original) and "stiching-and-gluing" this to a second layer dump, would indeed not work right.

So, in short, I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with adding the results of the first layer raw dvd5 dump to the second layer and then letting the software burn the resulting raw iso. But i don't usually work with .iso's etc, so what do i know.

Once the structure is started to be read by the wii, the drive would just respond with the proper information of the proper relative sectors pointed by the iso structure (if the wii's operating system is any good). That is, of course, unless some copy protection or something queries for a specific "hardwired" sector to be in an specific layer and it happens not to be there. Then we would need to find the layerbreak and set it properly. But this game hasn't bothered to do this, so why should we :=)?

Regardless, it IS working fine for a lot of people (some have even finished all levels of all options already!! Gosh, they must have been playing 24 hours round-the-clock for a week!!!!), so I don't think this is an issue once you get a good burnt dual layer copy that your wii doesn't have a hard time trying to read. Lots of people are having problems reading it, but it's mostly because they haven't found a good media/burner combination that can produce a dual layer burn that their wii's can reliably read w/o errors.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Aeiou backwards