Let's try this again

KitChan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hi everyone!
I originally joined here in 2015 to discuss retro Nintendo consoles and modding, but never really went anywhere with that and just struggled to engage myself with the community, even when I was approached, so I eventually deleted my account. Since then, I have continued lurking and reading the occasional news and interesting topics.

I've been interested in finding people who share my hobbies to talk to and I think this place has a good vibe for gamers and tech talk and the staff seem trustworthy unlike a lot of places, so I decided I might give it another go.

I mostly game on my Series X these days, though occasionally play my Switch. I also bought a used Wii U last year and have been looking forward to getting back into Wii U gaming and some of my other retro systems again once I find room in my budget for the games and accessories I'm after.

Other systems I own include 3DS, GBA, N64 and Gamecube.

I worry I may come across as a gaming Grinch, as I'm in the habit of speaking up and avoiding brands which betray my values or my trust as a customer, which I increasingly find myself doing these past few years.

Other hobbies I've been picking up/interested in are cooking, photography, digital art, 3D modelling, live streaming, idols and music. Though I've been chronically procrastinating in some of these due to lack of peers to motivate me and having some overwhelming burdens on my shoulders.

The name Kit Chan is a nickname from a friend which uses part of my family name and sounds like kitchen which is my happy place.

I look forward to you having me here.

Last edited by KitChan,

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welcome back! As a fellow struggler when it comes to engaging with the community regularly, I can relate. I've been here since 2009 and don't even have 500 total posts. It's a great community though, so I stick around to observe. So you're an artist? That's great. Would you consider sharing some of your creations? I always like to see what people make, especially once I know what perspective they're coming from. Anyways, good luck with your continued growth and happy to have you.

KitChan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
So you're an artist? That's great. Would you consider sharing some of your creations?
Unfortunately that's an area where I've been procrastinating a lot and mainly just have projects in their early phases and my folder of weird and wacky Miiverse doodles.

I would say Miiverse shutting down was pretty detrimental to my motivation to draw and discover Nintendo games as that place gave me a good sense of community for those things. The Switch feels so cold and isolating compared to the Wii U.

• Sad
Reactions: Takokeshi

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately that's an area where I've been procrastinating a lot and mainly just have projects in their early phases and my folder of weird and wacky Miiverse doodles.

I would say Miiverse shutting down was pretty detrimental to my motivation to draw and discover Nintendo games as that place gave me a good sense of community for those things. The Switch feels so cold and isolating compared to the Wii U.
Hey, I get it. Me too. The last time I started drawing something, I got a basic structure and outline, then haven't gone back to finish it. That was over almost 2 years ago. I'd like to see even your in progress or unfinished stuff (only if you're comfortable sharing). Here, I'll show you the last thing I didn't finish in good faith, if I can get it to attach correctly to this post.

Attachments

• sword_lady.png
    sword_lady.png
    255.6 KB · Views: 52

KitChan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hey, I get it. Me too. The last time I started drawing something, I got a basic structure and outline, then haven't gone back to finish it. That was over almost 2 years ago. I'd like to see even your in progress or unfinished stuff (only if you're comfortable sharing). Here, I'll show you the last thing I didn't finish in good faith, if I can get it to attach correctly to this post.
That's very nice. It's further than I've gotten with my projects from the past couple of years.

I just went to look for a meme I started drawing in 2019, but can't find it. Unfortunately most of what I can find are related to secret projects which I'm not ready to publish.

But here's my colorized version of the OG Bigley meme which I did in Art Academy back in 2014:
bigley is love bigley is life.jpg

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's very nice. It's further than I've gotten with my projects from the past couple of years.

I just went to look for a meme I started drawing in 2019, but can't find it. Unfortunately most of what I can find are related to secret projects which I'm not ready to publish.

But here's my colorized version of the OG Bigley meme which I did in Art Academy back in 2014:
I like it. Consider my interest peaked, wondering about these secret projects.

Reactions: Takokeshi

KitChan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
What is your signature

about?

Have fun!
I nagged my brother to preorder Immortals Fenyx Rising on Xbox as a Christmas present.
Upon receiving it, I tried to redeem the preorder and limited edition bonuses to my Microsoft account, which didn't work because it turns out I have to make an Ubisoft account and apply them there. So I made an Ubisoft account and redeemed my codes, which gave me the option to convert them to codes for MS Store/PSN etc (dunno why I had to make an Ubisoft account for that when they could've just provided MS Store codes in the first place like other games do). Couple of days later I was receiving warnings about login attempts to my Ubisoft account. Having done what I needed the account for and no longer needed it, I saw no reason not to close the account to protect myself from a potential hack.

Around this time I had been planning to get into live streaming, so I held off playing the game until I was ready to stream a blind playthough. In the meantime, a scandal about the work culture at Ubisoft was reported on and they sent an insulting response to the NFT backlash, so I decided not to buy anymore Ubisoft products, including the Fenyx Rising DLC, and that I would play it off stream to avoid giving them the advertising.

Upon loading up the game I was greeted with a 3 choice ultimatum. Sign into a Ubisoft account, unplug my Xbox from the internet while I play the game, or not play the game. Not wanting to sign up another potential hacking target for a singleplayer game, nor make a chore out of relaxing on the couch with my singleplayer game, I put the game I had once been so excited and hyped up about up for auction.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
[…]
Around this time I had been planning to get into live streaming, so I held off playing the game until I was ready to stream a blind playthough. In the meantime, a scandal about the work culture at Ubisoft was reported on and they sent an insulting response to the NFT backlash, so I decided not to buy anymore Ubisoft products, including the Fenyx Rising DLC, and that I would play it off stream to avoid giving them the advertising.

Upon loading up the game I was greeted with a 3 choice ultimatum. Sign into a Ubisoft account, unplug my Xbox from the internet while I play the game, or not play the game. Not wanting to sign up another potential hacking target for a singleplayer game, nor make a chore out of relaxing on the couch with my singleplayer game, I put the game I had once been so excited and hyped up about up for auction.
Thanks for the explanation.
Seems like a law of nature: Once a company reaches a certain size, it becomes evil. Ubisoft is on my "shit list" since they announced their always-online DRM (Assassin's Creed II) – Still enjoying playing Rayman games from time to time.

Everybody has some company (or more) they avoid for one or the other reason. I stopped actively following the video game market – especially PC games – long a ago. For PC games it was about 2003/2004 when disc-based DRM became so obtrusive that I gave them the cold shoulder. Not even talking about the so-called "digital market" without any physical product. I can't imagine having a bloated loader application running in the background (like Steam) monitoring my activities. Sign in here, sign up there → No.

KitChan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Thanks for the explanation.
Seems like a law of nature: Once a company reaches a certain size, it becomes evil. Ubisoft is on my "shit list" since they announced their always-online DRM (Assassin's Creed II) – Still enjoying playing Rayman games from time to time.

Everybody has some company (or more) they avoid for one or the other reason. I stopped actively following the video game market – especially PC games – long a ago. For PC games it was about 2003/2004 when disc-based DRM became so obtrusive that I gave them the cold shoulder. Not even talking about the so-called "digital market" without any physical product. I can't imagine having a bloated loader application running in the background (like Steam) monitoring my activities. Sign in here, sign up there → No.
I played the odd PC game here and there in the 00s and most of the ones I played weren't too bad. I think for me it went downhill in the 2010s with Steam gobbling up the market. I think having a centralized platform for PC gaming goes against the spirit of PC gaming.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Hi

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.