Let's talk Zelda! Your Favorite Zelda Titles!

Jeremy Pettes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright folks, after playing through Twilight Princess for the first time two weeks ago i decided to actually give a quick little top 5 of my own favorite Zelda Titles and why i Think it is the best. (I didnt play all of the Zelda Titles) I would like to get your top 3 in a format similar to mind just to get a feel on what others like! Let the games begin!

3: Majora's Mask- This game was Pure art. I have never played a game that got me so attached to the NPCs before and also gave me a feeling of dread when you are running out of time. The subtle things such as the clock town music during one of the three different days all the way to the references to imminent death and purgatory. This is definitely one of the darkest Zelda Titles and shouldn't ever be passed up!

2: Twilight Princess- This game was Phenomenal! This was by far the best combat in any Zelda game I've ever played (yes I'm looking at you skyward sword). I literally felt like a swordsman rather than a farm boy with a sword. You literally learn and master the sword arts yourself and whomever you execute them on is up to you! You aren't forced into using a specific directional cut to slay an enemy, you must rely on multiple different ways of subduing your foes! As for the story! Oh my god the story made me feel like a hero and had me choke up and a few specific moments when the children look up to you and you prove to them you are worthy. Midna is by far the best Zelda Companion Hands down! The music is great, but the wolf segments break up the action a little too much and the color palette is a little too stale for a Zelda title. Overall great Zelda!

1: Ocarina of Time- This one is purely Nostalgia as it is my first Zelda title, but when i was younger this game made me feel like a hero. The story nails it here, and after playing through The most epic final boss fight in HISTORY! I can honestly say that it is the best zelda title. The Music! Oh the Motha Fudgin music was the greatest in all of the series. The dungeons were so crafty and had a dark and light tone to each of the! Twilight princess was too dark, and wind waker to light. Ocarina of time was great mix of both! Progressing from a helpless child into a badass adult link made me feel like a legend and that is exactly what a game of this stature should make you feel.

Shoot me your opinions folks! I would like to get your thoughts!

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3. Skyward Sword: Great game, great soundtrack, great storyline. The reason I put it up here is because the motion controls can be REALLY ditsy sometimes...

2. Ocarina of Time: Same reasons you stated, but I feel like this is always used as an example of the "perfect" Zelda title, which it isn't. It was definitely ahead of its time in terms of a 3D action-based RPG, but not the end-all-be-all perfect game (and the music could have been updated a bit in the 3D version, so I knock off points for that, too)

1. Wind Waker HD: THIS. Now THIS is an example of an HD remake done right! Sure, the music was once again left untouched (Nintendo may never learn :glare:) but the gameplay! The graphics! And the story is just as touching as before, being an honorable sequel to OOT, with a wonderful final boss and a charming overworld. This is also saying a lot, considering I absolutely ABHORRED the GameCube original.

(Honorable mentions go to Majora's Mask for being a wonderful and creepy Zelda title, but having gameplay that literally made me yell "WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO" at my television, and Minish Cap, for being the best 2D Zelda game I've played to date)

link491

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Of the zeldas I've played (all of them from nes up to and including wii, no n64 though since i never had one) I'd have to say my top, in no particular order are:
Link's Awakening
Oracle of Ages
A link to the Past

Jeremy Pettes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3. Skyward Sword: Great game, great soundtrack, great storyline. The reason I put it up here is because the motion controls can be REALLY ditsy sometimes...

2. Ocarina of Time: Same reasons you stated, but I feel like this is always used as an example of the "perfect" Zelda title, which it isn't. It was definitely ahead of its time in terms of a 3D action-based RPG, but not the end-all-be-all perfect game (and the music could have been updated a bit in the 3D version, so I knock off points for that, too)

1. Wind Waker HD: THIS. Now THIS is an example of an HD remake done right! Sure, the music was once again left untouched (Nintendo may never learn :glare:) but the gameplay! The graphics! And the story is just as touching as before, being an honorable sequel to OOT, with a wonderful final boss and a charming overworld. This is also saying a lot, considering I absolutely ABHORRED the GameCube original.

(Honorable mentions go to Majora's Mask for being a wonderful and creepy Zelda title, but having gameplay that literally made me yell "WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO" at my television, and Minish Cap, for being the best 2D Zelda game I've played to date)

I have to admit, the WW HD is a masterpiece in its own right. The only reason i chose Majora's Mask instead is because i prefer the dark Zeldas Hence, Twilight princess being 2nd. Otherwise nice list!

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
1. Link to the past
2. link's awakening
3. that's all I guess, or maybe minish cap.

I didn't play the DS games (yet), and never completed Oracle games as I started playing both at the same time until realizing synch would be better one after the other.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1: Zelda 1
1: Zelda 2
2: OOT
3: Windwaker

The first two games were the only fun 2D games because they actually had some difficulty to 'em. Really enjoyed them and still do to this day. They're still hard as hell and i can barely beat Zelda 2. I can't think of any other 2D zelda games I struggle to beat.

I used to think Majora's Mask was my favorite, but I really have to give it to OOT just for the shear amount of content. There's a ton of temples to do. Mask collecting in Majora's Mask was a lot easier than I remembered and on 3DS I ended up beating the game in a fairly timely manner with all the masks. Easy peasy. So for nostalgia and general content, i gotta give it to OOT.

Windwaker, imo, has the most charm of any zelda game. Love the artstyle, love the music. Incredibly well done game with a fair bit of content, even if they did scatter it across a massive ocean.

RCJayce

The Defender Of Tomorrow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1- A Link To The Past (IGN 10/10)
2- Ocarina Of Time
3- Ocarina Of Time Soundtrack.
Real 3- Minish Cap (We need a sequel)
4- Majora's Mask
5- Link's Awakening DX
6- Oracle of Ages.
7- Zelda II
8- Skyward Sword
9- Twilight Princess
10- Four Sword Adventure

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1) Link's Awakening DX, I will go the older version if I have to play link gets laid.
2) Ages/Seasons though I really do need to play them properly one of these days.
3) Minish Cap would be higher if the kinstones were handled better. Maybe I will make a hack to change how they play one of these days.

I reckon I would have lost nothing if I had not played Ocarina of Time, I reckon Majora's mask is the better game there by far.
Wind Waker had some inspired moments but was too easy and too bogged down with boring parts, and I did not mind the sailing.

The DS titles, I guess they become playable once you get rid of the touch screen controls but the level design is not as good as any of the previous handheld titles.

SNES Zelda... I think it joins Chrono Trigger in that I can see it being important to some people but these days I probably would not suggest it for anything other than completionists or those looking at history.

NES Zelda... has not aged well. I would probably put it above SNES Zelda though. I quite like the platformer Zelda though.

Four Swords in various forms. If you can get a full party going then they are a great time, I doubt it will scratch that Zelda itch though.

Haven't played twilight for longer than it took to do the exploit, haven't done the newer ones yet either. Not holding out much hope for the Wii U stuff based on the footage we have seen thus far. I think that covers the zelda games worth speaking of, save perhaps Zelda no Densetsu ( http://www.romhacking.net/translations/294/ ) and going into hacks (I already mentioned Link Gets Laid and http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/197/ is definitely worth looking into and perhaps even before you play the original). Master Quest is definitely the best version of Ocarina and if you want to play either of the N64 games then I would suggest the gamecube emulated versions and you might as well play wind waker there as well, though I must confess I have not played the 3ds remake of Majora's at this point (going by the remake of Ocarina I do not expect it to be the superior version).

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It's hard to number them, but some of my favourites in no particular order:
Wind Waker, Majoras Mask, Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time.
Having just replayed Majoras Mask to completion for the first time in many years reminds me of how polished this game really is. It may only have 4 dungeons, but what is there is incredibly polished and collecting the stray fairies adds a fun element to the dungeons that makes them more fleshed out. I don't know if I could pick a number one favorite though, because there are so many factors.
For example some Zelda games have more replay value than others. OoT and Wind Waker win in that department.
Wind Waker and Majoras Mask win at sidequests/extra content. There's just so much to do besides the main story.
On the other hand, all the ocean travelling in Wind Waker gets tedious.
I love most Zelda games equally and they all have their ups and downs so it's tough to pick a number one. Usually the number one is whatever is the newest Zelda game since its more exciting due to being a new experience. I was totally hooked on Skyward Sword when that came out and I expect I'll be equally hooked when the next Zelda comes out.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1.Link to the Past
2.Twilight Princess
3.Links Awakening
4.Minish Cap (too short, so much promise)
5.Ocarina

I have not played the others.

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The best non-Zelda adventure games I've played are Alundra (PSX) and Okami (PS2).
Alundra- It copies Zelda. But you can jump.
Okami- You use brush techniques instead of items, meaning you rarely change items. A small UI, and you rarely need to open the menu, meaning you can enjoy the experience more. Someone at Nintendo was taking notes when they made Between Worlds (you needn't open the menu to change items in Between Worlds, but you still can if you like).

My top Zeldas are:
1) Between Worlds - Has more stuff than Link to the Past before it
2) Skyward Sword - The waggle controls... Really! I also like that you can use expert controls which reduce the UI.
3) Twilight Princess - Higher difficulty and unique atmosphere.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1st: Link To The Past - I have to say this will probably remain the best game I've ever played!
2nd: Ocarina of Time
3rd: Wind Waker
Needs a mention: Link's Awakening - Right up there with the top 3!

Minish Cap could easily have challenged if, like Bortz said, it wasn't so short, small & easy. Still a fantastic game though...
Skyward Sword - those controls.... I enjoyed them at first, but fukks sake Nintendo, after a hard day at work I don't want to be swinging my arms like a pillock, just give us a remake of the game with proper controls, then we'll see how good it is.
Twilight Princess - No. Too dark, didn't feel like a Zelda game to me at all... good game in its own right.
MM - Dark, but 'Zelda dark' (no idea what I just said). Fun, quirky, but not the classic many portray it as in my opinion.
NES Zeldas - Memories!!! :D Yeah I still love firing these up, but my lads, who I've well trained in the school of Zelda enjoyment, look at me with a 'Da fuq is this old sh!te father' look - Rose Tinted Glasses syndrome then...
Link Between Worlds - See Minish Cap.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...