Where do puyo come from?
OP
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
My old ISP provided really terrible usenet access with a lot of missing articles. It was better than no usenet though. Now I'm with a company that doesn't provide any usenet access and it's not so fun.

I'm looking around at different providers. There's a list of some random ones here. What is your experience, GBAtemp? Any providers you recommend? Hate?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I heard that Giganews was pretty good...
tongue.gif

I personally use HitNews... Good retention and pretty good speeds.

Agjsdfd

My title
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there any free usenet provide? I used firstload, when I was living in switzerland. but I want to try something free, slow speed doesnt matter.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
OP
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Is there any free usenet provide? I used firstload, when I was living in switzerland. but I want to try something free, slow speed doesnt matter.
there are, but they don't have alt.binaries

There are a couple 7-day trials of real services though, right?

scruffman

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sao Tome and Principe
I personally use powerusenet. I cost $19.95USD a month with unlimited downloads. 105 days retention on binary stuff. I highly recommend it.

H8TR

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Giganews is probably one of the best. But I went to NewsDemon. $22.99 got me unlimited DL's, 20 connections, 110 day retention and SSL. But most of the time, I can't even connect to most of my 20 connetions. Almost all the time, at least 10 won't connect. That's why I'm going back to Giganews next month.

there are, but they don't have alt.binaries

There are a couple 7-day trials of real services though, right?
Giganews will give you 3 days. Just don't forget to opt out before the 3 days are over. A credit card is needed I believe.

Agjsdfd

My title
Trophies
XP
Country

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Giganews is good if you just want to use an NNTP server, but I personally like Easynews the best. (www.easynews.com)

Easynews has NNTP access AND a nice web-based search engine. EN just recently upgraded their retention, too.

The engine may be buried, but the direct link is: http://members.easynews.com/global4/search.html

The search engine does neat things like auto-extraction of common file types. (You can DL an Xvid movie directly, rather than download all the RARs.) It will auto-fill in missing files, provided PAR2 files are present. It lets you view thumbnails of videos. You can create custom NZB files and then load 'em up in your newsreader of choice. Finally, it lets you zip up a bunch of files into a single archive to download.

EN provides 20GB a month for $9.98. NNTP downloads are discounted by 25%, making the 20GB go farther. Any unused gigs are rolled over. (I have 86 gigs in my gig bank.) For every year of membership, you get an extra gig. If you fill out a how-are-we-doing survey every week, you get 500MB (up to 2 GB a month). If you join their Grid.org team, you can trade in CPU time for extra gigs.

EDIT: I can't say enough about the search engine. It's insanely helpful.

Talvon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I second astraweb (http://news.astraweb.com) and their no monthly fee plans. A third of a year retention is more than you need, and I always get maximum download speeds with them.

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I usually recommend 100proofnews.com for their amazing price, although it seems they have recently changed their pricing structure they still have the easiest free trials anywhere.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
usenet.net
$8.99 (first 3 months) 5 simultaneous connections and unlimited. 100 days retention
or $11.99 (first 3 months) 10 simultaneous connections and unlimited. also with 100 days retention you also get a 10gb free trial when you first sign up!

you will not find a deal any cheaper like this and unlimited, trust me I've looked lol

faq here if you want to look at the terms and conditions

yus786

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
was on newshosting before but it only had like 50 days retention with the unlimited acc but now i use:

usenetserver.com

over 100 days retention
10 connections
unlimited downloads

$40 for 3 months which is a bargain imo

yus786

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Another vote for giganews.
A bit pricey (although offset for me by the weak US dollar). Retention, superb completion (I recently downloaded a 198 day old file: no need for PARs and that was not the first time I have done that),
Couple it with binsearch: http://www.binsearch.info/index.php?q=&m=&...font=&postdate= and newsleech: http://www.newzleech.com/ and a few choice sites leaves with I have more than I can handle (not enough drive space) for just about everything. I tried space limited accounts via friends but I kept finding stuff to get.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +1