Hacking Let's say my GW card breaks or I lose it...

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not 100% certain but couldn't you just restore a pre-A9LH NAND through the GW menu?
That might work, assuming OP keeps a clean backup. OP is asking how f*cked would he be, if he went down the GW-A9LH path, and his Red Card crapped out.

He also likes taking it in and out, so he'd be even more f*cked, as he would need the Red Card always just to boot the damn thing.

I have 0 knowledge of how (crappy) GateWay works and all that so if I'm wrong here then sorry but anyway, v2 a9lh can also be downloaded through aurora wright's repo or just check plailects guide on upgrading a9lh for the full package. Do mind that this guide assumes CFW from SD users, not GateWay users. https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Updating-arm9loaderhax
No. Aurora Wright's v2 A9LH fork, which the guide uses, will not work with GW's A9LH.bin, unless you use BootCTR9 as your bootmanager. It won't boot up through Luma3DS' chainloader.

You either compile a compatible v2 A9LH fork, or you use BootCTR9, or you downgrade to v1 A9LH. Or you wait for GW to release an updated A9LH.bin that will work with Aurora Wright's A9LH fork.

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That might work, assuming OP keeps a clean backup. OP is asking how f*cked would he be, if he went down the GW-A9LH path, and his Red Card crapped out.

He also likes taking it in and out, so he'd be even more f*cked, as he would need the Red Card always just to boot the damn thing.

No. Aurora Wright's v2 A9LH fork, which the guide uses, will not work with GW's A9LH.bin, unless you use BootCTR9 as your bootmanager. It won't boot up through Luma3DS' chainloader.

You either compile a compatible v2 A9LH fork, or you use BootCTR9, or you downgrade to v1 A9LH. Or you wait for GW to release an updated A9LH.bin that will work with Aurora Wright's A9LH fork.
Yeah but even without it, the GW menu should still work. So OP can just install a pre A9LH NAND with it.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
Probably how it handles and initializes payloads that need initialization. I don't really know tbh. You could look into their respective source codes and see for yourself. The unofficial v7/v8/v9 of CTRBootManager9, should work. I think someone tested it with that, but I don't remember or have a link handy for that on where I read that, so I might be wrong.
Link: https://github.com/OperationNT414C/CtrBootManager/releases
Doesn't work with that either :(

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't work with that either :(
Then you need to use BootCTR9. I guess you could chainload BootCTR9 into CtrBootManager9.

I actually have my config as follow for BootCTR9:
Default as BootAnim9 which boots right into Corbenik CFW.
DPAD-UP as CtrBootManager9 (For all my recovery tools)
DPAD-Down as GW's a9lh.bin for GW Mode.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
Then you need to use BootCTR9. I guess you could chainload BootCTR9 into CtrBootManager9.

Awesome idea.
Did just that, works perfectly! And the cheat menu does work in digital games now, awesome!

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France

This works on a9lh v2?

Well, I guess I could also do something like this but it's going to get ugly really quick lol. Right now I have a9lhay as my root arm9loaderhax.bin and this config:
Luma as default
Power-off on L and SELECT
CtrBootManager9 on A+B with password (lists everything, including Luma so I can boot to Luma sysNAND or Decrypt9 or Gateway or whatever).

Would adding BootCtr9 at the "beginning" of that setup (root arm9loaderhax.bin being BootCtr9, just launching a9lhay as default and nothing else) make it a working setup on a9lh v2?
(By "working" I mean that for example, would Gateway work after going through BootrCtr9, a9lhay and CtrBootManager9 in that order?)

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
This works on a9lh v2?

Well, I guess I could also do something like this but it's going to get ugly really quick lol. Right now I have a9lhay as my root arm9loaderhax.bin and this config:
Luma as default
CtrBootManager9 on A+B with password (lists everything, including Luma so I can boot to Luma sysNAND or Decrypt9 or Gateway or whatever).

Would adding BootCtr9 at the "beginning" of that setup (root arm9loaderhax.bin being BootCtr9, just launching a9lhay as default and nothing else) make it a working setup on a9lh v2?
(By "working" I mean that for example, would Gateway work after going through BootrCtr9, a9lhay and CtrBootManager9 in that order?)
It does work with A9LH v2. I'm on v2 and it works great.

My setup:
arm9loaderhax.bin in SD root = BootAnim9
arm9payload.bin in /anim = BootCtr9

Rest of my payloads are in /payloads, e.g. /payloads/Luma.bin, /payloads/Hourglass9.bin.

Booting the system automatically boots into Luma through BootCtr9.
If D-pad Down is held, boots CtrBootManager9
If D-pad Up is held, boots Gateway

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It does work with A9LH v2. I'm on v2 and it works great.

My setup:
arm9loaderhax.bin in SD root = BootAnim9
arm9payload.bin in /anim = BootCtr9

Rest of my payloads are in /payloads, e.g. /payloads/Luma.bin, /payloads/Hourglass9.bin.

Booting the system automatically boots into Luma through BootCtr9.
If D-pad Down is held, boots CtrBootManager9
If D-pad Up is held, boots Gateway
But you're not using the setup I described here :P
To boot Gateway, the setup I described goes through BootCtr9 then a9lhay then CtrBootManager9 then Gateway, while yours would just go through BootAnim then BootCtr9 then Gateway.
I guess putting BootCtr9 at the beginning fixes everything but we never know with this stuff...

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This works on a9lh v2?

Luma as default

That's some intense chainloading there. But I don't see why it wouldn't. I have Luma3DS on CTRBootManager9, which chainloaded of BootCTR9, and it works. Had GW on there too, but I left that at the root of BootCTR9, when I realized I was getting too crazy. I even had BootCTR9 -> CtrBootManager9 -> BootAnim9 -> Luma3DS' chailoader -> GW. But I was like, now that's just silly! Lol.

But look at Shadowfied's setup.

You could also chainload BootCTR9 into GW only. And add it to your current setup. That's another suggestion you could try.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You could also chainload BootCTR9 into GW only. And add it to your current setup. That's another suggestion you could try.
Nope, didn't you notice the "Power-off on L and SELECT"? They show that I really really want every single option that would boot to sysNAND to be behind the password set by a9lhay (because yeah, I'm the most paranoid emuNAND peasant you've ever met :P).

But ok, I'll probably try that "intense chainloading" setup on my 2DS tonight. Not the biggest loss if it fails.

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, didn't you notice the "Power-off on L and SELECT"? They show that I really really want every single option that would boot to sysNAND to be behind the password set by a9lhay (because yeah, I'm the most paranoid emuNAND peasant you've ever met :P).

But ok, I'll probably try that "intense chainloading" setup on my 2DS tonight. Not the biggest loss if it fails.
I was suggesting you add it after your CtrBootManager9, and using 4.0b as your Launcher.dat, it'll just boot into EmuNAND, if it doesn't see an EmuNAND, it'll ask for a confirmation. Though maybe that still is too much for a paranoid person like you.

Anyways, hope it works out~ :P

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I was suggesting you add it after your CtrBootManager9, and using 4.0b as your Launcher.dat, it'll just boot into EmuNAND, if it doesn't see an EmuNAND, it'll ask for a confirmation. Though maybe that still is too much for a paranoid person like you.

Anyways, hope it works out~ :P
Ah yes sorry, I understand that with the use of "only" now (sorry, French).
I could indeed do that too maybe, but actually I don't trust a9lhay to work with v2 so that's why I immediately thought about putting BootCtr9 before a9lhay :P
I guess I could actually update it instead of doing workarounds with 3 boot managers (or 4 if we count the one in Luma)...

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah yes sorry, I understand that with the use of "only" now (sorry, French).
I could indeed do that too maybe, but actually I don't trust a9lhay to work with v2 so that's why I immediately thought about putting BootCtr9 before a9lhay :P
I guess I could actually update it instead of doing workarounds with 3 boot managers (or 4 if we count the one in Luma)...
Haha, sorry, I guess it was a bit confusing now that I think about it.

As for updating a9lhay, well, at least you know BootCTR9 is doing something right to get GW working with v2 A9LH, so you could look at it's source and see how to implement whatever it's doing into a9lhay.

memomo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
NO, you'll not fucked up

just restore your 9.2FW NAND backup via Gateway menu, this should delete GW-A9LH setup

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk