Let's say it again, most people use this website for the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
When I type "gbatemp.net" into the address bar, I except to get thrown straight into the forums, but instead I get thrown on the "customizable" homepage. There is nothing customizable about it. The only thing that isn't just admin-promoted posts is your own notes, so I set the notes to link straight to the forums. However, I still have the huge "newsfeed" banner LOCKED on the top of the page and there's no way to either put it to the bottom or permanently remove it, as I do not care about it and it just distracts me from the forums.

If I actually cared about the admins' personal opinions, I would click on the "news and announcements" forums and read the threads on there.

Let's say it again: This is a site where you can discuss Nintendo products, and get advice on homebrew as it is the biggest forum that allows this stuff.
If I wanted Nintendo news, I would read the DOZENS of other websites that repeat and milk the same exact message. Even a small, "stability" FW update has like 50 articles the second it releases. No need to add a 51st and shove it in my face. I already know.

Stop trying to repurpose this website to something else by shoving stuff in people's faces. Make a subdomain like "news.gbatemp.net" with this stuff for the people that are interested in it.

Also, STOP pushing "TempStyle n+1" on people that want to use older TempStyles. I never wanted to use 3.2, as I was used to 3, yet here I am using that. You'd expect the "theme" button to let you select "TempStyle Legacy" or something, instead it is just a dark/light theme selection.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I am part of GBAtemp for the site as a whole, but I am not sure what your issues are. What do you mean by
I still have the huge "newsfeed" banner LOCKED on
There is the main site navigation at the top of each page but it's pretty small and most websites do that these days.

Let's say it again: This is a site where you can discuss Nintendo products, and get advice on homebrew as it is the biggest forum that allows this stuff.
If I wanted Nintendo news, I would read the DOZENS of other websites that repeat and milk the same exact message. Even a small, "stability" FW update has like 50 articles the second it releases. No need to add a 51st and shove it in my face. I already know.

Stop trying to repurpose this website to something else by shoving stuff in people's faces. Make a subdomain like "news.gbatemp.net" with this stuff for the people that are interested in it.
This has literally always been GBAtemp. I've been a member for over 11 years now and I can tell you that the Temp has barely changed its main formula. The site has gone through a lot of changes over the years but most of what we see today is pretty much how it's been since the start.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
This has literally always been GBAtemp. I've been a member for over 11 years now and I can tell you that the Temp has barely changed its main formula. The site has gone through a lot of changes over the years but most of what we see today is pretty much how it's been since the start.
Right? Coming up on 18 years now, and sure there were different kind of news on the front page at first (scene releases information boxes) but... yeah It's always been something like this.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Fun fact: this website was predominantly news-only long before the forums arrived.

As for your suggestion, no. Bookmark the forums instead, as previously suggested.

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The default homepage is great. You get scene news, reviews, and recent content all right up top. It's great for keeping up on what's going on, and finding a conversation to join if you're interested. If you want to start on the forums, then just type gbatemp.net/forums instead of gbatemp.net. This complaint makes no sense to me.

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you do a site-wide poll to figure out what most people use gbatemp for, or did you just assume that since you use it a certain way everyone else does too?

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Right? Coming up on 18 years now, and sure there were different kind of news on the front page at first (scene releases information boxes) but... yeah It's always been something like this.
I miss the good old scene releases threads. :sad: Please bring them back! Nah, just kidding. :lol: They were fun back in the GBA or NDS era, but no longer needed for Switch. I haven't used them in years. Everything's fine as it is, the site is great.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is a site where you can discuss Nintendo products, and get advice on homebrew as it is the biggest forum that allows this stuff.
I guess that's all YOU use it for, but it seems that you haven't noticed all the other stuff it covers and how many people here have interest in platforms beyond Nintendo.

The limited site you want is still here, so why moan about all the extra stuff that most of us appreciate that's always been here?
You might as well be saying "I don't look at the Sega forum so get rid of it".

Eight Bit Alien

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been coming here since 2006, and I think losing the news feed / homepage would be an absolute tragedy.
I have no idea how OP could possibly find that content objectionable.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Others have taken the practical aspects but I think I can go one further on the claim of people using it for the forums.

I have been able to spam up the front page for a number of years now. News, reviews, original content (in my case usually more technical in nature but can go other ways) and big secret of user engagement bait as well (share your stories, opinions on this concept, what do you know of, what do you have...) with a slight twist to make it more than a boring listicle (favourite game is boring as everybody has that, and frankly for as awful as metacritic is a genre/console search and sort by score will probably get you what you need to know, favourite game that nobody has likely played in the last year https://gbatemp.net/threads/favourite-game-nobody-in-the-world-has-played-in-the-last-year.593578/ being a bit of a twist as everybody likes a hidden gem).

By whatever metric you care to have -- views, replies, downloads, likes, length of activity before death, engagement from regular users, engagement from new users, ratios of anything previously mentioned, haven't bothered to track outside links and most times it happens it would have happened anyway (sometimes we get scooped by even mainstream sites from stuff that started on the forums)... then you see a massive shift sticking it on the portal either in general or promoting it after leaving it languishing in the forums for a while, or indeed not promoting to the portal despite it being entirely in line with previous efforts. This also applies to reviews -- before they were auto cross posted anybody that did a portal cross post, including after the fact, saw a bump as well. Similarly if focus is split (some will write an overview article and redirect to thread on the forums, others will essentially mean there are two threads on the same subject active at once) then the portal one tends to get a lot more traction than the other by all the same metrics.
I will give that things are more informal than rigorous and both differences in articles (in my case what the overlap between ROM hacking, advanced game porting/reverse engineering (which I did not put on the portal), hacking concepts (no portal but was stuck), how to be a game journalist though as it is a download, I am not sure where those numbers came from, how to find glitches in /break systems in games I don't know -- I am interested in all of those but the fact alone I wrote long articles on them says I am freak) as well as having to back out timeframes (summer vs winter) and other activity levels. Being on the portal is also not an assured success either -- even ignoring flash carts that 5 people have but professional obligation/site subject matter says it goes up then there have been things that failed to gain any traction (I did some articles on the game industry stocks some years ago, nice enough little writeups as these things go, nobody cared). Alas we have never had a proper control either and posted EOF style nonsense (April Fools does not count) to see what goes there.

Do I go on the portal for more than checking I have not screwed up the formatting (again, possibly of the whole thing in a few embarrassing cases) or maybe when sitting on a computer not my own and killing 5 minutes? No and I imagine most people ever likely to read this are in a similar position. To say most, much less having it vs a simple forum index as the main entry point? Not even close.

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Fun fact: this website was predominantly news-only long before the forums arrived.

As for your suggestion, no. Bookmark the forums instead, as previously suggested.
You have literally denied every single one of my suggestions posted here. Why do I need the huge image panel LOCKED ON THE TOP OF THE HOMEPAGE. Letting people move/remove it would literally harm nobody, as the people who want it there would keep it there and others would remove it.

I wish this site had more competent and open-minded administrators, and less entitled people who think that this site is the perfect thing ever created and any suggestion for change is treated as heresy.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
This is by far the best option, I don't see the necessity to make cheese out of something so trivial.

The main page has all the main component, and from there you go to the category of your liking.

And if you only want to see the forums, and only the forums, then https://gbatemp.net/forums/ is all you need to enter.

This has been the way to go for a really long time, and obviously this won't change any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you try wearing them?