What a Digital Dummy!!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WARNING! Incoming wall of text! Get out if you don't want to read.

I've been here a long time. I've been faithful to the scene a long time. I don't care for piracy. I am not one of those losers who call it inhuman and will try their life for people to stop. I am not on of those fags you might find on GameFAQs that says how bad pirating is and flames and wastes their whole life on trying to get pirates to see the error of their ways. I couldn't care less. I do it too. Don't think I am trying to call out pirates or anything. This is by no means me trying to be rude and start something or call people out. If I take an angry sounding tone it's because I am because I couldn't understand this for a very long time and now I have simply just snapped and asked myself this question over and over again and just couldn't understand it and began to get angry with myself. Please, if you are taking the time to read this I would like an intellegent discussion. I am not flaming anyone in this post, I am not trying to start something except for maybe a spark in your brains to get you to understand my thought. Please, all discussion is welcome and even though I am a bit agitated with myself and might take a bit of a gruff tone in this post please feel free to say whatever's on your mind about this topic.

Now, onto the actual question. The question I couldn't understand and still don't. The question that at first sounds stupid but you will soon understand my perspective on. Here it is:

Why do people care for the price of a flash cart so much?

In the slot 1 era 100% compatibility is guaranteed by any cart that has even been considered for purchase. What I don't understand is this concept of why people care about the price so much. By getting the freaking cartridge you are essentially guaranteeing yourself every game in DS history that has been out or will come out in the future. This saves the average buyer hundreds if not THOUSANDS of dollars worth of DS games. THOUSANDS. Say that with me, thousands. So you are telling me that you went out and bought a DS for $130 and now are essentially planning on buying the entire library of games made for the DS and more to come with a single purchase of a single cartridge? My goodness, that's a deal! Sounds great to me! But what? You say that the $30 price difference of the "budget" cart you are looking at and your dream cart the cyclo ds is too much for you? Are you kidding me?!!?! Are you that much of a cheap ass? There have been countless things posted similar to "omg, I really want that cyclo but I just can't afford it so I have to go with the edge/(insert "budget" cart here). Every time I see these posts I think to myself about that question up there. Why do people care for the price of a flash cart so much? After seeing it for the 500th time now(not an exaggeration, I have really seen it this much through different forums) I have "exploded" if you would say. "Snapped" also being the proper term for it too. This is unbelievable. You are saving thousands of dollars and you can't put $30 more into a purchase that will supply your DS gaming needs forever and go on this forum to ask for people's opinion of what you should do because you are stuck between a rock and a hard place because you can't decide to shell out a mere $30-$40 more for the cart you want or purchase one of those "budget" carts? Even the most expensive of all carts on the market, the Acekard RPG costing $65 on deal extreme, only costs about the price of 2 DS games! Buy purchasing that, you can potentially get 2000 DS games!! The cyclo even costs less than the RPG with all its amazing stuff. I simply don't understand why price is such a big problem. And please don't bring this up because I have heard it so many times I will vomit if I hear it again: "I am just a kid/poor adult, I can't afford the cyclo. It is too expensive for me" You are telling me you had enough money to buy a DS and know that each game for it is $35 and you don't have enough money for a $55 purchase? What a filthy liar. Pirating and lying. I simply refuse to believe it that you are in that situation. Of course, don't get me wrong, there might be rare circumstances where you really are poor and but managed to win a DS in a competition/online/got it as a gift and you really can't afford any games to begin with but when every other thread has quotes like that you know people are rotten liars. I find that worse than pirating. How can you lie about your poverty like that when there are people dying and other poor people eating them because they really are that poor? If you buy a DS for recreational purposes which was why it was made you obviously have enough money to spend on any flash cart in the market that you would want. Why are you letting the price become such a huge factor and most commonly, the decisive factor?

Below are some quotes of just your typical "too expensive crap" that I just found randomly. Names are obscured to protect the humility of the innocent.

QUOTE said:
If money is the issue get the Edge. Its a clone of CycloDS but works properly it supposed to be. CycloDS is expensive because of the extra added features that i can care less about but a good thing to have, if you have lots of money to spend.This one is a really funny one. If money is an issue get the edge!?!??! He can afford to buy the freaking DS itself for $130!! Of course money is not an issue!! The second part is valid, if you really don't care about the features then fine, point taken. You've got a point there. Get a cyclo if you have lots of money to spend?!?!?!? Crap, I just vomited on my computer. I wasn't kidding. Seeing those kinds of shitty comments really makes me want to puke.

QUOTE said:
I would buy the CycloDS but its about twice as expensive as the Supercard One.
So what would you do? Kick out a few more bucks for a cyclo , or get a supercardone or an edge?
I don't know kid, what do you want to do? But first, why is money such a big deal? You are already saving thousands of dollars. Get whichever one you like the most.
QUOTE said:
This is a great first time cart as its not so expensive that your burdened with it because you cant afford a differnt one
Taken from a review that someone did. That $30 extra is now a huge determining factor and plus for carts. Why? Because people are such a cheap asses. I realize its $30 saved because they do the same things, play games, but I don't understand why people post "I really want cyclo but can't afford it which cart shood I by?". If you really want the cyclo, shut up and stop lying and buy it! You know you can afford it. If you want it buy the damn thing. Why make it such a big deal?
Kid if that card is to expensive for you though you need to look into a budget cart like EDGE..
Ya, those "budget" carts. No cart is "too expensive" because even the most expensive one costs slightly less than just 2 DS games!! What more could you people ask for? Why are you taking these things for granted. That $30 isn't such a big deal. If you want it get it.

Again, please bear with my angry tone but I just wanted to get my message out there and see what you have to say. If you read all of that then thank you for your respect and I strongly respect you for taking the time into considering my point of view. Again, I am sorry about the agitated tone but I couldn't help it this time.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
So let me get this right. $50 is not a lot for little kids who got that "$130 ds lite" as a gift?
Not everyone has a job or has a steady income of money. And there are many parents who struggle to make ends meet but still buy presents for their children.
If you don't think $50 is a lot, you need to think about the value of money.
Just because you have a lot of it doesn't mean everyone else has.

I used to be stuck on a game a month, thats only $50 for an entire month dude.
Just because the price has gone down doesn't mean everyone can afford it. Even though slot 2 cards were really expensive, all these kids only got into the scene after the massive popularity of slot 1 cards like the r4. A slot 2 card would've been impossible for kids like that.

Even though by buying this flashcard they're saving thousands of dollars, its not money they have at hand right now. You buy games gradually as you finish the last one, not all of them at once.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Xcalibur said:
So let me get this right. $50 is not a lot for little kids who got that "$130 ds lite" as a gift?
Not everyone has a job or has a steady income of money. And there are many parents who struggle to make ends meet but still buy presents for their children.
If you don't think $50 is a lot, you need to think about the value of money.
Just because you have a lot of it doesn't mean everyone else has.

I used to be stuck on a game a month.
Thats only $50 for an entire month dude.

I saved up for ages to get my DS lite. I used to spend around $40 per month on videogames, usually second hand. I also totally agree with your post.

Many people pirate because they don't have enough money for the games in the first place, so they try and save as much money as possible.

Trippy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhhhh huh?
Dude this might seem crazy to you, but some people are given a DS as a gift you know? Maybe they're little kids who have to save up so they can get a flash card. Of course they're gonna get the cheaper one if they can't afford the more expensive one.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
I saved up for ages to get my DS lite. I used to spend around $40 per month on videogames, usually second hand. I also totally agree with your post.

Many people pirate because they don't have enough money for the games in the first place, so they try and save as much money as possible.
Save as much money as possible? So knowing that they can save thousands upon thousands of dollars, I believe that was addressed in my post many times, they are going to let $30 get in between them and the cart they want? Just for $30? Afterwards, that $30 will essentially transform into anywhere from $35-$10,000 worth of games. Trust me, the are not that poor.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
golden said:
Law said:

Save as much money as possible? So knowing that they can save thousands upon thousands of dollars, I believe that was addressed in my post many times, they are going to let $30 get in between them and the cart they want? Just for $30? Afterwards, that $30 will essentially transform into anywhere from $35-$10,000 worth of games. Trust me, the are not that poor.

Even though by buying this flashcard they're saving thousands of dollars, its not money they have at hand right now. You buy games gradually as you finish the last one, not all of them at once.

CorruptJon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of the people looking to buy flashcarts, are kids with no jobs. They want to get the lowest price possible so that they won't have to waste their "allowance" and so it would be easier to convince their parents. I myself have a job and a bank account + check card, so I always go for the best product out there, unless it has features I do not care about. I have a SCDS1, and I don't plan on upgrading to a Cyclo since it doesn't offer me anything I would actually use. I would buy an Acekard R.P.G, but the 1GB of memory does not really appeal to me since I could just go out and get an 8GB micro SD for 30$. In conclusion, there's nothing wrong with valuing your money, but just don't be a stingy mofo when it comes to buying something that will save you thousands in the long run.

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If someone just spent $130 dollars on a DS, then maybe they have to worry about money because they just spent $130 dollars on a DS. Maybe they don't want to wait 2 months until they have enough for a $60 dollar card (plus shipping and SD card it could be up to $80), and instead buy a card immediately.

Also remember that you don't know how much someone spent to get a DS - they could have gotten it for free, or paid a very cheap price (eBay, buying from a friend, used, discount, etc.), so you can't assume that because someone had a DS they can afford any card they want.

Finally, saving money is saving money. Like you said, a lot of these Slot 1's have 100% compatibility, so if that's all you're after, you can pretty much buy any cart. Why pay $50 when you could pay $40?

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Xcalibur said:
golden said:
Law said:

Yes you do, you buy all your games at once if they are only $20-$50. You are telling me you made a down payment on your flashcart and payed it off via lones and all those contracts you use to buy a house with?

Law

Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
golden said:
Law said:

In 16 years I have never seen £1000.

Thing is, you're looking at the long run. Some people in the world who pirate don't even dream of seeing thousands of dollars, let alone see it as a reality.

It isn't that things are "too expensive", they're quite cheap. It's just that people don't have the money on hand and would rather get something straight away than have to wait (as somebody said earlier). Instead of looking at the topic from each direction, you've gone and decided to close your eyes and rage into a keyboard.

Warren_303

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree and hope those cheap asses will stop saying that some flash carts are too expensive. I've had the exact same thought in my head but never decided to do anything about it. Reason is because most of these whiners are not going to read anything like your post. They will just ask about the best cart with the cheapest price in a new thread.

It will never end, not here, not anywhere, good try though.
smile.gif

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
golden said:

Yes you do, you buy all your games at once if they are only $20-$50.
You are telling me you made a down payment on your flashcart and payed it off via lones and all those contracts you use to buy a house with?

Who the hell buys all their games at once?
You telling me you bought all your console games when the console came out?
Thats just plain dumb seeing as all the games come out gradually. Good games didn't start coming out for th eps2 till 5 years into its life.
And don't give me any bullshit about loans and contracts. The fact is, these people don't have all that money.
Even though you're complaining about people wanting the cheapest flash card, you keep forgetting that there are many other costs involved.
Sure, the flashcard is advertised as $20-$50 but don't you have to buy a microSD with it?
Don't you need to pay shipping?

I bought an EZIV slot 2 and an SCDS1. All together they're $70 yet I ended up paying $170 in the end because of the memorycards and shipping.

QUOTE(Warren_303 @ Aug 6 2008, 12:18 AM) I agree and hope those cheap asses will stop saying that some flash carts are too expensive. I've had the exact same thought in my head but never decided to do anything about it. Reason is because most of these whiners are not going to read anything like your post. They will just ask about the best cart with the cheapest price in a new thread.

It will never end, not here, not anywhere, good try though.
smile.gif

sigh....

These cheap asses are kids or students with extemely tight budgets.
You obviously never had anything to worry about money-wise so I don't expect you to understand.

Warren_303

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am a college student, and I can relate to money problems.

I'm not trying to play post tag. I just understand why Golden gets annoyed.

jgu1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to go with xcalibur on this one. If I don't spend 1000$ on games, does that mean I have saved 1000$? No, because I never had that money to begin with. Also, not everyone buys a ds, they can receive them as gifts, win them, etc. and for those who do, there is still a portion that buys their ds used. I'm pretty sure you can get a ds phat pretty cheaply off of ebay or craigslist.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I bought my DSphat second hand from a GameStop for $109. This was about 3 years ago.

I've already replaced the case, and top screen, and still love it.

It took me about 3 months to save up for the DS, due to bills, gas, mortgage, food, and everything else that creeps up...

I bought my G6 about 6 months later... during that time, I had about 8 DS games (at about $30-$50 each). I then traded them all in for some PS2 games, lol

After "trying" so many DS games, I know I wouldn't have bought over 90% of them!

Pirating is not only for the poor though... Sometimes its just laziness, or wanting to "stick it to the man"...

Any way you slice it, pirating is bad, but I really don't see anyone being hurt, Nintendo just posted a 1 BILLION dollar increase in income between Q1 2007 and Q1 2008. That's a BILLION dollars! In a 4 month period, they made 1 BILLION dollars more than the previous year!

Law

Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
zidane_genome said:
Pirating is not only for the poor though... Sometimes its just laziness, or wanting to "stick it to the man"...

Any way you slice it, pirating is bad, but I really don't see anyone being hurt, Nintendo just posted a 1 BILLION dollar increase in income between Q1 2007 and Q1 2008. That's a BILLION dollars! In a 4 month period, they made 1 BILLION dollars more than the previous year!

And chances are, even if DS piracy was non-existant, Nintendo still wouldn't have made all the money they're claiming to lose because people wouldn't have spent the money in the first place. Not to mention the sales of the Nintendo DS would probably be a little worse off (Only about 5% though, at a guess). I only bought one because I knew I could pirate the games.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Who the hell buys all their games at once?
You telling me you bought all your console games when the console came out?
Thats just plain dumb seeing as all the games come out gradually. Good games didn't start coming out for th eps2 till 5 years into its life.
And don't give me any bullshit about loans and contracts. The fact is, these people don't have all that money.
Even though you're complaining about people wanting the cheapest flash card, you keep forgetting that there are many other costs involved.
Sure, the flashcard is advertised as $20-$50 but don't you have to buy a microSD with it?
Don't you need to pay shipping?

I bought an EZIV slot 2 and an SCDS1. All together they're $70 yet I ended up paying $170 in the end because of the memorycards and shipping.
Wow, did you even understand what my post was saying? You don't come off intellegent anymore after that post. You are technically buying all your games at once when you buy the flash cart so it is pretty much the equivalent of saying you bought all your games for $20-$50. How did you not understand that?

I don't know who milked you for $100 for shipping and 2 microSD cards but you fell for it pretty good but that's irrelevant to the topic at hand. Forget the previous sentence.

jgu1994 said:
I have to go with xcalibur on this one. If I don't spend 1000$ on games, does that mean I have saved 1000$? No, because I never had that money to begin with. Also, not everyone buys a ds, they can receive them as gifts, win them, etc. and for those who do, there is still a portion that buys their ds used. I'm pretty sure you can get a ds phat pretty cheaply off of ebay or craigslist.
I might have used a poor word choice when I said "saving" but it is obvious that if you buy a flash cart you will not need to pay a single cent after you have gotten it so how can you say that $30 isn't worth it for you to pay for whatever one you want? The fact that you don't have to pay a single dime on DS games anymore makes the price difference null.

EmperorOfCanada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
First I wanna say, In my defense, you didnt post my full quote. I actually reccomended the kid shell out the extra money.

Also you are falsely assuming that everyone using a rom would have purchased the game in the first place. That is not so. Some people try a rom just for 10 minutes to see if they like it. People will try a game free that they wouldnt have bought in 100 years. Having said that it is still only the price of 2 or 3 games to get the cyclo to begin with, so it is still an incredible value.

Other than that I mostly agree with your post. There are situations in which people legitimately cant afford to buy the expensive card. but 95% of the time if you want the cyclo, just get the damn cyclo.

Skip eatting out once or twice. Dont buy yourself some other toy you want. Walk or ride a bike instead of driving everywhere for a month. There are ways to save yourself the money.

Overall, you need to sit down, have a drink, and relax a bit. People are cheap, you just have to learn to live with it.

Baroque Obama

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
your income does not allow you to justify piracy. gaming is a luxury. money should go to basics. if you can afford gaming then do it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The mutated Axolotl was awesome