1. cots

cots Banned
    Banned

United States
    I'm just repeating what could be possible with streaming and AI from the people responsible for creating the streaming and AI. I've got no reason to doubt them.

2. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing
    Supervisor

United States
    Kinda an offshoot here but if Stadia can actually nail down its horrendous input lag issues and be an actual gaming service, something I think it super cool is that it negates the need for expensive gaming hardware. I could theoretically be playing Destiny with my friend from behind a Chromebook screen.

So that's one think, kinda. Eliminating the need for expensive pc setups.

3. cots

cots Banned
    Banned

United States
    Playing any game on its highest settings, under the maximum resolution at the highest FPS your display device supports without the need for a $6,000 computer is a major selling point. 4k? 120fps? Ultra Settings? No problem and no computer required! Maybe in the future when we all have low latency 1Gbit connections something like this could actually work out.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    BORTZ likes this.
  4. FAST6191

OP FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Nailing down lag issues though is not a trivial task, or a least not a cheap one. Between light actually taking time to get places and the infrastructure of the internet meaning dropped packets, switches and such will always be in the middle of it that pretty much leaves them with putting a nice server in your city (or better), which some services already do for bandwidth (netflix, hulu and such quite famously did this in the run up to the net neutrality spat) and ping issues (game servers being a prime example), just probably not with the computing potency required here and also troubling the "anybody, anywhere" selling point (think mobile phones selling their coverage area when that was still a thing, and make it a harder engineering challenge still).
    A favourite video for these scenarios

Or if you prefer were you around to see the people selling notions of fast play at the tail end of the dial up era, where they thought rather than TCP connections that say they got things back and set rates accordingly they would use UDP which just fired it into the void (possibly with a large suitably sized frame if they had read page 2 of network layers and you) and not worrying... same deal really.

Does that mean my dreams of hacking a game and getting into a super secret government program or something were in fact all lies and instead I just end up doing someone's marketing for them?

5. Gon Freecss

Gon Freecss Privacy Advocate

Venezuela
    Something like the holograph machines from Yu-Gi.Oh!, the one Kaiba Corp developed.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    elBenyo likes this.
  6. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Streaming games do something unique and thats you end up owning nothing.

7. FAST6191

OP FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Prior to recent rulings slowly making it so you can "used" trade games with friends was it really that different with the likes of Steam? Moreover how many people kept games or play their older games barring a select handful?

8. Captain_N

United States
    They still had the freedom to decide to keep it or sell it. something that streaming will never give you. Also the provider controls how long you can use it. I'm not paying for that. Imagine you buy a 4k tv and the manufacture then decides that tv will no longer function in 2 years, would you buy it?

The only has the control the user has is to not use the service. Most are to weak minded and give in. I have never purchased/used another streaming service and i have never used steam. I guess I'm to strong minded. None of the services offer something better then pirating it: the freedom to use it my way, as in play it on other devices store it offline, DRM free. No streaming service is better the pirated.

Nightwish likes this.
  9. FAST6191

OP FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Me? No as I dare say we are similar in approach and fondness for older things being able to be used. Have you seen how many people buy "smart" TVs though? 2 years is a long time for some of those to start losing functionality. Or if we are doing entertainments how many people more classically have gone to plays, concerts, performances and the cinema? While I like entertainment my way there are perks to the disposable aspect for many.

As for "No streaming service is better the pirated.". So there are no benefits from extra processing power/graphics pushing, potential AI improvements, lack of inter process lag, or any of the other things, or any of those potential perks are so radically offset by the downsides as you deem them that it is still not better?

10. Captain_N

United States
    With pirated content i was referring to streaming tv shows mostly. If the streaming services let me download a drm free copy then id gladly pay for them. I know you can capture netflix with a hd capture card, i tried it with my friends gaming capture card. it worked well. Most people dont want to keep anything. Streaming is for them. the ones i know that think streaming media abd games is a god-sent seem to get mad that i pirate it lol. not sure why. i guess its like telling apple sheep that the mac book is actually just a pc lol. Its fun to troll them noobs.

All in all streaming is here to stay.It will overtake any physical media. that much is certain. At-least we are not forced to buy it. we can still torrent for now...

11. JavaScribe

JavaScribe Confused

United States
    Reminds me of attempts at some kind of "unified experience" where you can play games on your PC or console and pick up where you left off on your phone or something. I think a few companies were trying that a few years ago, though I suppose they didn't have the hardware to realize that goal. I suppose that's one thing they could try with Stadia...?

Frankly, I don't remember what they were calling it, but I'm sure I heard some buzz about it. Might have ended up devolving into Windows Mobile or something, I dunno.

12. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I think there was a suggestion of using a vita as a rear view mirror in gran turismo, but that was when sony were talking crap

13. JavaScribe

JavaScribe Confused

United States
    Idea:
    BeamNG multiplayer.

There's no freaking way you could do normal online multiplayer for BeamNG; even if every PC involved was powerful enough, I imagine you'd have a lot of trouble with physics synchronization across clients. Each client-side PC would need to be pretty up to spec, and you'd probably need a connection good enough for cloud gaming, anyway.

But a single server running one instance for multiple people? You might be able to pull it off.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - streaming, something, figure