Let's figure out something that only streaming games could do

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by FAST6191, Nov 22, 2019.

1. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    honestly as an ex console player, i hope Stadia or anything similar could become a success: 3 years ago i wished to play games properly (60fps 1080p) I paid 1500€ to build a pc with 6700k cpu,16gb ram and gtx1070.....

As you see gaming on pc is extremely expensive and it's not affordable by average family, if Google or Apple is able to offer a good stream service, i don't need to upgrade HW anymore.

1500€/9.90€ monthly fee/12= i could sub for 12,6 years! and Internet meanwhile will certainly get improved and we might see 6G or even 7G within years to come! ALL WITHOUT ANY HW UPGRADING.

Game streaming has a lot of potential and things like gaming PC/consoles like Blockbuster will become obsolete and inevitably got replaced by NETFLIX/GAME STREAM. Honestly i wish i could just stop worrying if my 1070+6700k can still handle games next year.

Last edited by leon315, Nov 22, 2019
  2. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Beyond offering high-end performance to people with low-end local hardware for a similarly low price point, I can't think of anything. Probably the best way to make streaming appealing is to turn it into a form of instant Redbox: $5 month-long rentals of games available the day of release. After all, there's no assurance that any streaming service is going to stick around long enough to warrant a full purchase.

Ammako and JavaScribe like this.
  3. JavaScribe

JavaScribe Confused

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    here idk
    Thought you were saying something like "hope the radiation harms you"... then I realized you know what you're talking about.
    No LoS, no connection. Sounds fun.
    You *could* use ethernet, if the goal is for game streaming to replace even desktop PCs (and consoles). But not if you're replacing anything else. And whatever this wonder game is, it couldn't require the kind of latency you need for VR.

Jiehfeng likes this.
  4. Naxil81

Naxil81 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2019
    Italy
    google need a real new step on the future of gaming... exclusive is not the real goal...
    probably a massive augmented reality game with 5g and glass. i want fight with my mecha against 2nd player outside of my house.. or see my preferite vg in front of me at Starbucks table... ecc

5. JavaScribe

JavaScribe Confused

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    here idk
    Have you seen Glass? Not really meant for AR.
    And yes, it's still in development. For some reason.

6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Streaming has loads of benefits - it eliminates cheats, the need for downloading patches or even installing the game for that matter. It can be a good supplement for native support, I just hope it won't replace it altogether. Imagine buying a game and playing it *immediately* again, with the fame being streamed until the executable and all of the patches fully download - sounds like a banging deal to me.

elBenyo and banjo2 like this.
  7. Naxil81

Naxil81 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2019
    Italy
    sure i see it... with glass a mean the kind of hw. not the google glass.

JavaScribe likes this.
  8. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2019
    Russia
    As some suggested above, some sort of MMORPG or live service is the most preferable application for a game streaming - stuff like having a 1000-player wide battle royale game or an enormous seamless Minecraft realm with hundreds and thousands of players at the same time. Cloud gaming is a poor substitute for ordinary gameplay experience at the moment, but such online experiences can actually bring something fresh and irreplaceably experimental to the table.

Last edited by Pipistrele, Nov 22, 2019
  9. AlexMCS

AlexMCS Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 3, 2018
    Brazil
    This, pretty much.

Streaming has one inevitable fatal flaw: high latency.
    Latency is everywhere, since instant transmission does not exist, even inside our own home console, but at such levels (sub nano-seconds), it is not relevant.

For some games, even a single frame of latency (16ms) is the difference between success and failure.
    I don't get that level of low latency even to my city's IX (42ms), not to mention it's the largest in the whole world.
    And that is wired fiber connection.

5G won't matter BTW, for those who think it's worth anything.
    It will only increase the amount of electromagnetic exposure people are subjected to, due to needing a lot more antennas, most likely also elevating the rates of cancer.

Streaming also has the issue number two: Ownership.
    The game will be limited to online-play and subscription. That is terrible.

Currently, there is nothing streaming can do better than playing locally, other than saving you the needed hardware.
    If we figure out photon teleportation one day, streaming will have its spot.

Zumoly, Xzi and Craftyawesome like this.
  10. goldensun87

goldensun87 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2017
    United States
    Except no one should want to stream games, because if you allow that to be the norm, we will never be able to have games in our personal possession, and all the big tech companies will have us by the balls. Is that what all of you really want?

Petraplexity and oji like this.
  11. shadow1w2

shadow1w2 Still here.

Mar 16, 2004
    United States
    CA
    Stadia is likely repeating the same lies and issues of Onlive.
    The pcs everyobe runs on are likely as cheap as possible or upscaled high res (youd never know)
    However the onpy real benefit sides novelty would be an MMO game.
    Tower Unite could benefit from ease of use as it needs an SSD and a full redownload each update.
    MMORPGs are online anyway and streaming can prevent cheating.
    Maybe client side control where the devs could say cause something to happen for one userbut not the others and have it download something unique on the fly like video from other players or an AI serving as a camera for otherwise hard to do shots that would eat up user resources.
    Be nice to seebthose monitora ij the background of some game stages show something sides the same screenbwe already see. Raytracing can do it but streaming video of a camera from another computer on lan might work too minus some networking glitches.
    I really dont see anyone taking advantage of it though.
    Game streaming has been around for a long time and the high cost usually keeps everyone away from innovating with it.
    Also its a little gimmicky.
    Still MMO games work nicely to make the game easier to play so I see that happening more.

12. Edgarska

Edgarska Conjurer of cheap tricks

Oct 24, 2011
    United States
    The only thing that would help it make sense would be lower prices. Right now the AAA games cost the same as they do for buying them elsewhere, except on Stadia it only works as long as the service lasts. Considering you're only renting them, even a 50% cost reduction seems too expensive to me.

As for what can it do that a regular game can't do, pretty much just have better graphics for people with weak hardware.
    But once you factor in the price of each game into the equation, and the fact that they probably won't go down in price as much as regular games do, the "save money by not buying a better PC and just renting games" argument falls apart, with the added benefit of not even owning those games.

Last edited by Edgarska, Nov 22, 2019
  13. Shalashaska98

Shalashaska98 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 17, 2018
    United States
    Dear Google,

If you wanna get gamers feedback and ideas then you should pay them.

Best regards.

14. CeeDee

CeeDee Oh, fishsticks. I'm nauseous...

GBAtemp Patron
    CeeDee is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 4, 2014
    United States
    It won't stop spoilers from people who played it but it will stop every single secret from being datamined first day of release.

PineappleGod likes this.
  15. PineappleGod

PineappleGod Banished God (My name's Piney)

Oct 2, 2019
    United States
    Now in GhostLatte's van!
    Not necessarily. If someone babes to find a loophole that lets them have read access to the data on the servers, then ( ╹▽╹ )

16. FAST6191
    OP

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I am still curious at the use of the term datamine here. If someone pulls apart a game and spends a long time pondering its guts to find out things then that is generally considered hacking. If someone notes a bunch of statistical data or other user generated data/data that might be generated over the course of play then that is datamining. If you go to industry dataminers are people that collate tables of information and/or attempt to make inferences about existing data sets -- they might direct the generation/collection of new data but rarely get hands dirty here.
    I know I have gone there in the past but it is a bizarre appropriation of a term that I have witnessed the rise of this last few years. I wonder if hacker has too many nasty connotations (possibly similar to the fall of warez).

To take it back on topic then people doing the statistical inferences or noting down stats for characters and making game breaking strategies as a result would still be the datamining set.

CeeDee likes this.
  17. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The whole "data mining" thing only came to prominence recently and it's in large part a matter of marketing - I'm 100% convinced that games like Apex, Fortnite or Overwatch purposefully include snippets of data that aren't visible in-game fully knowing that dedicated fans will "data mine" and build hype for new heroes or weapons. In the past data mining was a noble pursuit, a search for content cut from retail releases, nowadays it feels somewhat jaded and calculated. Perhaps it's just me, but when I see a series of "coincidences" that reveal future DLC I can't help but wonder why those files are even there in the first place. It can't possibly be that hard to push patches that are specifically dedicated for test servers.

elBenyo, Ammako and CeeDee like this.
  18. Roamin64

Roamin64 GBAtemp Regular

May 24, 2007
    Canada
    You're definitely the target audience for google. Someone who hasn't spend a dime on computer equipment in the past 15 years. What do you want next, that the Stadia service be free ? I seriously doubt your potato of a pentium 4 can decode VP9 at 1080p60 at all. In fact according to this https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=120569 you might be able to watch a VP9 encoded video at 720p30 on your pc.

AlexMCS likes this.
  19. Ammako

Ammako I like cake.

Dec 22, 2009
    Antarctica
    Eh, I'd much rather maintain 3-4 MB/hr bandwidth usage rather than having to stream full 720p/1080p video at all times when playing.

20. NitroTears

NitroTears Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2017
    Australia
    I feel like an attack and defense based game could work. The streamer hides their view and sets up their base / plans ect. and then when its time to start, the viewers can chime in with individual attacks/units on stream to destroy the streamers side. It would be interesting to see a concept like, "the bigger the streamers following, the harder it is to win". This can easily be accomplished by anyone else, but an exclusive game like this could at least help Stadia.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted